How do you use

yappa

Hi all,

Great site

I am hoping someone can help me please. My download speed is about 30kbps, by all accounts my ISP say everythings great

but my surfing is like dial-up speed in fact when I go onto dial-up surfing is better, pages load faster, my ISP also says it's to do with latency

I have Vsat 256/64

I am not tech minded and I am a bit lost on trying to work out how to use Ping, Whois, Traceroute and DNS Tools

When I put my port number in I get this

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to 10.16.43.245:9877 in /home/testmyn/public_html/tools/toolbox.php on line 265

Port 9877 does not appear to be open.

I try to do it all but after 5 mins it is still only half way.

I don't know if I'm doing it correctly as most of it doesn't seem to work for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  :(

Welcome to the forum yappa. :wave:

254/64 satelite, bummer.

First off post a speed test with the Large-1013 file test. Make sure you clean out your cache before you test. Top of your browser*Tools*Internet connections*Delete Files including Offline Content*OK*OK*Test.

http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php

Second of all have you read this?

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

Third have you tweaked your connection yet?

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

:D

Hi Tommie,

Thank you  for the welcome

Yeah it's a bummer but that's all I can afford at the moment and not going higher when I'm not happy with the service lol

Checked out the 2nd site you gave me and do all those things at least weekly if not more often.

I am so used to saying dial-up I should have said 64/64

Surfing is faster on 64/64 than 256/64

Do the cache thing nearly everyday, will do the speed test on the larger file.

I am not tech minded so have stayed away from things mentioned like tweaking, but will have a look at it thank you.

I appreciate your help and will go and do these things

Thanks heaps

What do you pay for that service?

How long have you had their service?

Being you are on a 256 D/L I am not sure this will work for your tweak, but you might try this:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1703

On the first post towards the bottom of the post.

(like a little paper clip)TCPOptimizer.zip (178.93 KB - downloaded 760 times.)

Click on the ^^ and it has premade settings. Double click on the TCP Optimizer*Click on run* and follow the instructions in the post exactly. Make sure you back up your current settings, you may want to go back to them.

Those settings are designed for a little larger D/L I think, but it may work. And simple.  :D

Hi Tommie,

I am on 256/64  (500MB limit) and pay $49.95

I have been on it for 7 mths with another 11 mths to go on the contract.

Thanks will have a look and see if it is simple for me lol  :?

The backing up well might have to do a system restore, haven't done that before either.

Thanks  :D :D :D

Hi Tommie

Before

Download

Wed Jul 05 2006 @ 1:41:11 am  DN 1013 kB 244 kbps (30 kB/s) yappa

Upload

Wed Jul 05 2006 @ 1:46:54 am  UP 1013 kB 54 kbps (7 kB/s) yappa

After

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 244 Kbps about 0.24 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 30 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/07/05 - 1:40am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 34.13 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 34.093 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 18.45 % faster than the average for host (43.245)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JMBEQFT5V

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 54 Kbps about 0.05 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 7 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/07/05 - 1:46am

Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 146.29 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 153.45024 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 5.88 % faster than the average for host (43.245)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J07HUCI1M

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

I will see how the surfing is and see if it has improved, keeping my fingers crossed  :D

lol :D at least 1 site is a little better  :D :D

Does Vsat have their own speed test?

You might try it.

244 Kbps on a 256 advertised speed overseas looks pretty good to me. And that upload speed looks pretty good also.

Hey if you get a chance once in a while, you might bring your Australian humor in here once in a while.  :D

Hi Tommie,

Well they do and they don't regarding tests,

The tests look good to me too, but surfing can be murder, sometimes upto a min plus to load a page, and these are pages I look at all the time, some pages I have gone into have taken nearly 5 mins to load I get fed up and just close it cause not going through that long if I  want to look at the next page they have. The downloading of big files or games I want to play offline is quick but the surfing/browsing yuk.

Thank you so much for your help, now I have to finish getting dinner otherwise I'm gonna cop it :violent1:

Thanks

Somebody might come along later in the day with something else to help. It is 4:44 in AM for me. If you ever get an extra $10 bucks a month, you might go for the 512/64 package. If I read your iSP's page right. Come around again if you get the chance. Pretty good bunch of people in here.  :D

Hi Tommie,

I did think about it when I joined, but they have had a few problems so have waited, glad I did.

512/64 plan either $84.50 or $99.50

You have been a great help thank you, it's 7.50 pm here, have a good sleep,

Don't forget to count the sheep lol  ;)

See ya and thanks again  :D :D :D

yappa : Welcome to the forum.This is a link to the Austrailian testmy test mirror .You might test with it to see how it goes.

http://www.testmy.net/o-mirror-ShaneAu2

tommie gorman  has sat so he can help you more with that .I know you say you're not tech savy but you might need to tweak your browser some.

Below is a text file that explains some of the settings in IE6 Internet Options Advanced.It makes recomendations for the settings but it.s kind of trial & error depending on what you need your browser to do but with the explanations you should be able to decide.

This is some tweaking below that might speed up your browser.

FOR FASTER WEB PAGE LOADING:

This tweak will help web pages load faster, it has no real effect on download speeds, just helps your pc look up websites faster thereby speeding up how fast the page loads and making websurfing more enjoyable.

Navigate to this registry entry and change the following settings:

For XP & 2K

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices

TcpipServiceProvider

For 98, 98SE & ME

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServices

VxDMSTCPServiceProvider

On the right for ALL OS's change these entries: (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL)

I have seen these both ways so use what works best for your OS

Binary values

Class = 1

LocalPriority = 1                                          Class=8

DnsPriority = 1                                    LocalPriority = 5

HostsPriority = 1                                    DnsPriority = 7

NetbtPriority = 1                                    HostsPriority = 6                                           

NetbtPriority = 8

https://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1130 

Max your Internet simultaneous downloads to 20 (default is 2)

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

Internet Settings

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server      REG_DWORD      0x00000014 (20)

MaxConnectionsPerServer          REG_DWORD      0x00000014 (20)

Increasing network browsing speed

Open up regedit,

navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace],

find the key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

[tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks]

Right click on it and delete it.

Tip:

If you have no use for viewing remote shared printers and are really only interested in shared files, consider deleting the printers key, {2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}, as well. This will also boost your browsing speed.

Right click on it and delete it.

Set CPU Priority

This setting gives a boost to priority of foreground applications.

In very overly-simplified terms, what you see on the screen gets more attention from the CPU than what you can't. [base Hexadecimal]

When this baby is set to 1, the foreground (active) application has more CPU power than the

background (inactive) apps (if any), and if you set the value to 2, you get even more power

to the foreground app:

0 = Foreground and background applications equally responsive.

1 = Foreground application more responsive than background.

2 = Best foreground application response time.

The maximum value allowed is 26 (Hex) or 38 (Decimal).

Play around with these values till you find your own "sweet spot".

BEWARE: Higher settings will drag down system resources considerably,

especially when doing something big, like saving a huge Photoshop file

or create it if not present: right-click on an empty spot -> select New -> Key -> paste

"PriorityControl" (no quotes) into the type-in box -> click OK to save.

Now highlight this key, and in the right hand pane create a new DWORD [REG_DWORD] Value.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPriorityControl]

Win32PrioritySeparation          REG_DWORD          0x00000026  (38)

Hi Cholla,

Thank you for your welcome,

Tommie was a wonderful help last night and with what he suggested has helped and browsing is a bit faster at the moment. :D

I finally got through to support (well I hope anyway) that when I'm on 64/64 my browsing speed is better than being on 256/64, well they can't work that one out lol neither can I. :cry:

I am going to wait till a friend comes over to do your instructions as I was lost after reading for XP & 2K, I really mean I'm not tech minded, I tried doing things when I got my 1st computer well I crashed the drive to many times to count, so stay away from those things now lol

Love the pics of John Wayne

Thank you for your answer, and have a wonderful day  :D

yappa; I didn't mean to go over your level but if you have a friend that can help you that might be better.If you click & open the text file at the bottom of the my post above it covers IE settings & what they do.I don't beleive any of those will "Crash your drive".You could try them one at a time & see if you browsing improves.Some of the multimedia settings  will  turn off your pictures & video if you disable them.Some of the security settings can also slow your browser it just depends on other programs you have on whether you should disable some of them.

On the 256 being slower I bet it's on your ISP's end.Unless there is still some setting in your modem that iss still at 64 so it is really still at 64 & traffic is just heaveir so it seems slower.

Someone with sat like tommie would probably know this better.

Thanks for the compliment on the JW pics.I spent a while doing the changing avatar.

Hi cholla

I think it is at the ISP level, and finally are starting to look at it, they have told me they don't know why I get better surfing speed on 64 and not 256, so maybe your right about the modem speed, hopefully they will sort it out soon, but what tommie told me to do surfing is better.

Hi justinlay,

not sure if I do have a static IP (I'm on private network) and the isat I didn't pick it they did, I don't think isat was suitable in my area.

Yes it is expensive when I have not seen much differance in surfing speed from my old dial-up I used to have, the only thing good is the downloading of big files it's much faster

• 1 month later...

Hi Yappa  wellcome to the forum

I don't do much techie stuff , I have DSL. 256/150 Kbps here in UK ,

Tcp Optimizer works OK for me , current settings MTU 1500 TCP rw 64240

it will check latency and MTU , with the push of a button , great tool for me

I can recommend a little program called Tick from Really Effective . co .uk

it gives a online reading of your speed in real time, great for slow pages as you can see if anything is happening , or if you have a dead link,

I have  just done some speed test from UK -OZ using Chola's link ,

I lost about 25% of my speed   184Kpbs down   108 Kbps up .

normally to UK- USA I get 243Kbps down   142Kbps  up

just thought you may find these figs. usefull for comparison

Regards Roco  UK

I haven't tried Tick Roco.I use something simular called "My Vital Agent".I think it is only for 9x OS's.I guess you tried the testmy mirror in Australia?

Hi Cholla , I noticed late that the post by Yappa was a month old  :iamwithstupid:

and have trouble viewing Topics , but OK today

Yeah I used the link for the Oz tests , I am happy with the result for my 256?150 Asdl connection

This from serv. 1 USA, seems a bit high , but I ain't complaning  :lol:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 274 Kbps about 0.27 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 33 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/12 - 9:52am

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 31.03 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 17.328 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 17.24 % of your hosts average (pipex.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-RHIW6NJV4

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 147 Kbps about 0.15 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 18 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/12 - 9:57am

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 56.89 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 32.21952 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 79.03 % of your hosts average (pipex.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XW6S54RV7

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon) [!]

downloading from Microsoft (Sp1) I normally get 31-32kBs , so thats OK by me,

with antivirus and firewall on,

Tick, great little program, I have loaded it on about 20 friends computers , all reckon it's very usefull , It is really for 56Kbps dial up , as you can preset it for call costs logs and  data transfered logs, it helped me to decide to go for broadband , 

If anyone tries it , note it's default setting is to disconnect after 5 Min's , easily changed to don't disconnect ,