How can i back up my HD to DVD's or Ext HD and recover it?

just-

Hi there guys

So here is the story i have 2 internal HD and one External HD.

MY pc is running from a single HD in my PC.

i want to back that up using something like Norton Ghost and then reformat both HD, Raid them Stripe and Ghost my old image on them.

Can i back up an image of my HD to my external HD and then will i have to install windows 1st and then Ghost the old image over the fresh windows or is there any program that will work in dos mode or something that i can recover from that point ?

thanks your your help guys

MY pc is running from a single HD in my PC.

i want to back that up using something like Norton Ghost and then reformat both HD, Raid them Stripe and Ghost my old image on them.

Can i back up an image of my HD to my external HD and then will i have to install windows 1st and then Ghost the old image over the fresh windows or is there any program that will work in dos mode or something that i can recover from that point ?

thanks your your help guys

The process depends on the version of Ghost, but the answer is yes. 

Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 are Windows versions of the product.  You would install Ghost 9 or 10 and do a backup.  You can backup multiple drives or a single drive.  Ghost is also very flexible on restores, partition sizing, etc.  At restore time, you would use the Ghost 9 or 10 CD and boot from it.  You can restore easily to the targets it can see.  Assuming you are doing hardware based striping or mirrors, you shouldn't have an issue although you should take the time to read through the Symantec docs and kb's on the subject.

Ghost 2003 also comes with Ghost 9 or 10.  It is DOS based and easily automated via scripting.  You can shut your machine down and boot from the Ghost 2003 for backups or restores.

All versions of the products support external hard drives via IEEE 1394 (FireWire) or USB.  I'd recommend USB 2.0.  I don't believe the have support for eSATA drives yet.

If you have a working PC you don't care about, I'd recommend screwing around with it to get familiar with the process.