eSata and drive detection

JimmyD

Ok, let's see what the networked brains can come up with on this one - I've got a Gateway GT4016 and I just installed a JMicron JMB360 PCI-Express to Sata II controller card - this gives me an external eSata port.  Installed the driver.  Computer recognizes the card, says it's working.  So, I connect my SansDigital Raid unit via the eSata cable and - nothing.  Computer doesn't see the drive.  So, I connect the SansDigital unit via USB, the computer recognizes the drive.    Is there something I need to do to initialize this eSata card?  The computer knows it's there.  If I unplug the eSata cable the SansDigital unit lets me know it's being connected and disconnected, but the computer sees nothing.  Ideas?

I'm running Windows XP media center edition.  The eSata card came with just a driver and the Raid unit came with software that allows me to monitor the disks/status, rebuild databases and that sort.

Connected by eSata my computer detects nothing.  Connected by USB the computer detects it, but I have no icons, no drive access letters appear.  So far all I can do is look at the drive status via the monitor software, but I cannot access any read/write functions.

JimmyD

Update:  Ok, solved one issue.  I can now access and use the Raid drive via the USB connection.  It was a drive letter assignment issue.  However, I still cannot use the eSata connection.  Computer doesn't see the drive.  Computer sees the eSata hardware, but when connected it doesn't see a drive.  The point of having the Raid unit is to access it via eSata, because USB is slow.  So, help still wanted on this issue!

Update 2:  Spoke with the techs at Sans Digital (the Raid unit), and it turns out that not all eSata chipsets function with all eSata devices (everything is too new, apparently), so I purchased a card from them directly, one they know is compatible.  Suppose I should have done that from square one, but, hey, things are supposed to work together.  We'll see what happens when the new card arrives!

JimmyD

FYI, I saw a similar issue with my SIIG RAID ExpressCard.  See http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=128&pid=1037 for the card I have.  I was trying to use an external Adaptec eSATA case.  It didn't work.  So I am now using the Vantec NexStar 3.  See http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145167 for the case I'm using on a temp basis.  It works great, but I am looking for a better case with better cooling.  My external drive is just for backups and repository stuff so I don't run it 24x7.

Send me a note later and let me know how your enclosure works out.  I will probably end up getting something similar to yours with multiple drives.