Bios Beeps?

justinlay

Ok i got this computer free from my bother and he never turned it on and he got it from somebody else. So I went and turned it on and got this one beep and make some funky other sound. I have a mp3 recording of the sound. It has a phoenix bios and  found the beeps codes and doesnt have the one the peice of crap is making. I though it may be the memory so i took the memory out and then it give me the beeps for the memory. So i put in a stick for shur works and makes the same old sound again just one beep. Im kinda hoping its not the processor well because its intergrated. Ive tried and still looking for the manual for this board online and so far no luck. Its a VIA chipset VT82C686B. So if anyone have any ideas?

justinlay:I found a  bios for the mb at this site.You have to be a registered member but thats free.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=119641

If you are able to get that far what OS does it havee ?

What  computer brand?

If you can only get into the bios do you have the passwords for this mb?especially the administrator password if this was ever put into this mb.If it has one & you don't have it you may never get further.

justinlay:I found a  bios for the mb at this site.You have to be a registered member but thats free.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=119641

If you are able to get that far what OS does it havee ?

What  computer brand?

If you can only get into the bios do you have the passwords for this mb?especially the administrator password if this was ever put into this mb.If it has one & you don't have it you may never get further.

It looks like a custom built. I cant do anything all i get is a black screen and that one beep, and the red activity light on.

Tried that already and still gives me the same error beeps

well then it can only eather be that the CPU or memory is bad, and it could also be the motherboard, of you can pull the ram put it in another computer and see if it works, do the same for the cpu if you can.

does any of the stuff smell bad?

well then it can only eather be that the CPU or memory is bad, and it could also be the motherboard, of you can pull the ram put it in another computer and see if it works, do the same for the cpu if you can.

does any of the stuff smell bad?

Nothing smells bad, no burn spots which i can see. I just could be a dead board

Have you tried the jumper for the CMOS if this mb has one?

Also could you have a dead battery?

The VT82C686B is your  South Bridge chip your MB probably has a different number.I did find a manual on the VT82C686B  South Bridge & I'm putting it in if it will help.

Have you tried the jumper for the CMOS if this mb has one?

Also could you have a dead battery?

The VT82C686B is your  South Bridge chip your MB probably has a different number.I did find a manual on the VT82C686B  South Bridge & I'm putting it in if it will help.

Ive tried the jumper and then it one come on at all. Switch it back ill come one?

You might try pulling the video card out , then start PC see if that changes the beep code.

Then shutdown and reseat the Vid card firmly and try to boot again.

The Video card is intergrated. Thats my next thing to try and see if i can find a jumper for that?

justinlay;I don't know if the jumper was the problem but for future reference :The jumper should be done with the computer power off.The CMOS should return to default from the computer battery.I don't know what the effect of starting the computer with the jumper in the reset position would be.The computer battery could also be dead.

justinlay;I don't know if the jumper was the problem but for future reference :The jumper should be done with the computer power off.The CMOS should return to default from the computer battery.I don't know what the effect of starting the computer with the jumper in the reset position would be.The computer battery could also be dead.

I did have the computer power off before switching the jumper. If it was a dead battery i should still boot? Ive ran older computer that sill boot, but gave me and "battery dead" error message.

With the PC off push and hold the DELETE key on keyboard and turn on PC while still holding DELETE.

See if that brings the bios settings up.

Might try removing CPU and reseat.

Also if you can get make and model # of MB.

I would try and remove the cpu, but its so shi**y the processor is intergrated on the board. I did remove the fan and clean up what i can get to