Is speed high enough?

Sparticus

One of my friends in my neighborhood is getting transfering from MSN dial up  :haha: to Cox high speed.  :cool:  The bummer is he is only getting the 756/256 package.  :sad1:  We were arguing on how fast it is and everything (I have premier 5mb/765). Are his speeds efficient enough to play online gaming? Is he actually gonna have good gaming or is he going to lag ALL THE time? He will be playing xbox live halo 2 the most.

he should be fine.. however.. everything else he is going to be doing.. download, surfing, etc. is really not going to be that much fun..  Online gaming doesnt take all that much bandwidth on the upstream..  Hosting is a different story..

" high speed"  is only what you think it is. Their is no real set in stone barrier for " high speed" .  To you, 8000/1000 is not fast enough!  But for someone on dialup or even me , on the most basic of basic dsl, that IS high speed.  ITs all in how you look at it.

One of my friends in my neighborhood is getting transfering from MSN dial up  :haha: to Cox high speed.  :cool:  The bummer is he is only getting the 756/256 package.  :sad1:  We were arguing on how fast it is and everything (I have premier 5mb/765). Are his speeds efficient enough to play online gaming? Is he actually gonna have good gaming or is he going to lag ALL THE time? He will be playing xbox live halo 2 the most.

Yea just like Blunted said you will have plenty of theoretical speed. What causes lag in on line games for the most part is server transfer not one persons connection, or if it is one person its just their connection dropping momentarily. Most on line games need very little bandwidth even with voice chat. Although everyone always loves to yell "He was LAGGING" when they get killed on line. Usually if one person lags everyone does.

I got 768/128 and I dont notice much if any lag in online gaming.

thats because you have a good quality connection, you have very little latency, more bandwidth is less important in online gaming really isnt that important latency is important.