Fresh Windows Install

RAINMAKA

Well sometimes (with emachines at least) if you use the install disc that came with it all that crap is gone. That is how mine is. I know if you have a recovery partition it usually has all that crap on there. I use Your Uninstaller to remove all that crap but that is not the same. I have DL a clean copy of windows off the internet since I already own it I dont view it as stealing. I dont know if it is or not but I own a copy of Windows XP and PRO that I paid for so I dl custom versions and use them. They are faster and have the crap I dont want taken off.

i didn't get a xp disc, the laptop came with a recovery partition. unfortunately i only have a xp pro disc so i guess i will just remove all of the programs and start from there.

just use that xp pro disk you have there to do a fresh install of windows.

I got bought a new laptop and of course it comes preloaded with tons of stupid software. I was wondering how I should go about installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without all this junk.

Start >> Run >> MSCONFIG

The Startup tab in the System Configuration utility will allow you to disable the OEM software from starting when windows loads.  (Reference to www.processlibrary.com if you don't know what the processes are).

From there, Add/Remove Programs from control panel should allow you to delete most of the stuff you don't need.  From my experience with laptops, they seem to load up a bunch of useless crap that sounds important but really is not necessary whatsoever.  Get rid of the unnecessary stuff and you'll be doing your computer a favour.

I agree with SHUG d/l a copy from the internet and use the serial that came with the laptop.  You have a legal license so it should not be a problem.

that could work but the serial may not work because some computer manufactures have serials that only work with there custom builds of windows XP.

i am going to look around and maybe someone i know will have a xp home disc that i can use and just put in my serial. because i don't think my xp home serial would work with xp pro but thats my guess. i could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

i am going to look around and maybe someone i know will have a xp home disc that i can use and just put in my serial. because i don't think my xp home serial would work with xp pro but thats my guess. i could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

your xp home serial will not work with your pro CD

thats what i figured, so for now i just uninstalled what i don't need and might do a fresh install if i get a disk and feel its necessary.

That is the first thing I do when I reformat. Uninstall the crap. cclean it out. And go from there. Everytime. But the next time (I purchased an original C.D. they say is clean of that junk , for $20) I am going to try that.

Yeah, e-machines.