Problems with a hardrive(HELP)

SOS1971

Just a couple of days ago I purchased a 250gb hardrive and was intending on using it for music,videos along with my OS..I had conflicts with XP using that size hardrive so I went back to my 80gb for the OS and and the 250gb for music,etc...I reformatted the the 250gb hardrive with FDISK and I think I made a big mistake by using it...Now my 250gb is only seeing about about 40 megs is there anyway to get the hardrive back to full health...If this makes sense to anyone give me some clues on how to fix it ....

Thanks in advance

Hello SOS1971..... Welcome to TMN.

What brand H.D. ?

Did it come with a utility disk ?

If not, you should be able to download a utility from the manufacturers website, and use that to format with or without partitions to it's original size.

Just remember you need SP1A or SP2 installed on WinXP to recognize the larger drive.

If you want to use the new drive to run Windows from, you would want to make a partition like 50 Gig. or whatever up to 137 Gig. and install XP on that then put the SP1a or 2 patch, then you could format the D: drive from Windows and use that for all your files.

Good luck.........MYRIAGON.

Thanks for the reply MYRIAGON....It's a 250gb Samsung I'm running XP sp2...Here's the real kicker I just exchanged it for a new HD and this one doesn't show up in my computer but does on boot and in disk management and it's still only seeing 40megs....What did I mess up? I tried resetting my cmos and still no change!

Thanks again

some hard drives have a number of pins in the back that have to be shorted out accordingly - i have a samsung hard drive, and it was only seeing 40GB out of 80GB - when i shorted out the correct pins in the back, it saw the full size

...that is most likely the problem here

some hard drives have a number of pins in the back that have to be shorted out accordingly - i have a samsung hard drive, and it was only seeing 40GB out of 80GB - when i shorted out the correct pins in the back, it saw the full size

...that is most likely the problem here

I agree.....

Assuming it's an IDE H.D.D. this is what I found for jumper settings, notice there is a general pin setting and a 32GB. max setting.

Hope that helps........