brand new...bleh

:shock:.......Hello. This is my first post here and I am not happy. I had HughesNet installed at my house yesterday. I initially signed up for it because of the download speeds its salespeople boast about. Boy, what false advertising. I have tweaked everything I can, or know how to......ports, ip's...blah blah blah. Used the Optimizer from HewesNet.com. Im not an expert on computers, and certainly not on Satelite Internet Service. I have a DW7000, and I cannot get a decent speed for nothing. I am at work right now, so I cannot post speed results, but will do so later. In downloading.....I am getting a pretty crappy number. When I open my program....I get a NAT firewall error message. Of course Tech support says that the System is automatically firewalled from the network and that there is no way to turn this setting off....so thats probably where that problem is coming from. But in that program, when I test my port #, it says NAT error. I change the port # a bajillion times, and get the same NAT error every single time. What is my trouble here????? Downloading off the internet im getting about 143kbps thats BYTES not BITS. Is that Normal???? I sure hope not LOL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!! ILL POST SPEED TEST RESULTS LATER : ) THANKS!!

You said 143Kbytes, which is about 1100Kbits, whereas they advertise 700Kbits for the home package and 1000Kbits for pro, if you have one of them then your getting over the speed they claim,  so I couldn't see any reason to say it's slow.

if you meant 143Kbits, then yeah thats VERY slow and you should in that case get something done about it.

since I dont know which you mean, when you download a file does it go at 143k/sec on the transfer rate?

Yes I am using BT...thats where the NAT Firewall problem is coming from. Maybe Hughes is blocked when it comes to BT?? And thanks for the welcome: ) Yes they advertise 750-1000 Kbps....is that what Im getting???? Im confused LOL

Do a speed test here and post the results. As for the BT you wont get any speed at all with your nat blocked and a firewall. Check out my tutorial here http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-890 I am trying to update it but very busy. I will try to help you through BT all I can but I am at work right now.

Welcome to the forum ammandalee1982  :wave:

First off who does not fall for the blazing speeds speech.

I assume you are running a clean computer, since you are reaching 1000 kbps.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

Second of all have you tweaked your internet connection?

You might try here:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0

The first post. And use the attachment at the top of the pic. (TCPOptimizer.zip )

Follow it word for word. It has helped some people.

Also use the 2992 file test.

http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php

Here is one of mine.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1399 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 171 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/07/11 - 5:29pm

Bottom Line:: 24X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.99 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 17.515 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 33.75 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UAHVG9RTQ

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

Not bad for 5:29 pm.  :D

Bittorrent is so fucking slow on HughesNet..

Welcome to the world of satellite internet!!

If you have an alternative choice, take it.. Don't waste your time with satellite internet.

BTW, expect an outage coming soon, since there will be some severe storms in the Baltimore area in a bit.. What's funny is that I had this storm knock me out this morning (fortunately I wasn't home).

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/20902?from=LAPmaps

ok so heres the deal.......ive tried everything i know how to do. To reply to a ? posted earlier....when I download off the internet, like a video or file....it says 143kb/s....is that Bits or Bytes? Is that what its supposed to be?? Thats like the max connection, usually around 100kb/s. Ive tweaked all the settings in my BT client (az) and ran the TCP Optimizer. That didnt do anything. But I tried to go to IPconfig....got my IP address.....punched it in address bar.....page not found. When I go to hughes net control center website- its saying my NAT IP address is different than what it says at ipconfig. Is that a problem? Also, on that system control center, it gives a router address.....it is also a different #, and says the same thing when input into address bar. Yeah HughesNet Sucks Big Ol Hairy Goat Sack. Thats all I know FOR SURE. Oh yeah when I do the speed test here....the results page wont ever load. Strange?! I tried to test my port in (az) and it says NAT problem. But when testing the same port # at all the test websites, it says Port Open, Protocol Unknown. WTF????!!!!!!! And for the record....I dont have any other options when it comes to high-speed. I might as well go back to dial-up and not have to pay $100. a month.

Just a note... you will not be able to use bittorrent on DWay (not at any reasonable speed anyway since you're basically leeching the whole time)

Maybe if you got the pro plan with a static IP, but even then I doubt it.

btw... it says port open on sites because they're scanning the DWay proxy servers

So I should just try and send the crap back before my 30 days is up right???!!!! HaHa  Seems like I might should have researched HughesNet before installing it. In the sticks of NC theres not many DSL options. Its this or Dial-Up basically, but since dialup is WAAAAY cheaper, I guess its the only other option I got!!!! : (

So I should just try and send the crap back before my 30 days is up right???!!!! HaHa  Seems like I might should have researched HughesNet before installing it. In the sticks of NC theres not many DSL options. Its this or Dial-Up basically, but since dialup is WAAAAY cheaper, I guess its the only other option I got!!!! : (

that may be what you have to do. but its really gonna suck going back to dial-up.

ok for some reason i cant get the results of my download speed test or upload either actually..... so heres what i could come up with....apparently my up is ok but down isnt too good....but still, thats showing that its at 81% of the host average, so basically its not going to get much better than it is right??!! BT is my main thing here, and if thats gonna suck like this all the time, i might as well go back to dial-up.....atleast they dont have a FAP. Im LOST!!!!

Overall Diagnosis compared to :direcpc.com

yah that probuly all your going to get out of hughesNet. I used to be on direcway, I was on it over 3 1/2 years, and i had no problems out of it besides the upload suck! Have you tried and see theres any wireless around? Im out in the country and i have 5 wireless services around me.

One other thing you have not faced yet, is storms. They will knock you out in a NY minute. Or ice forming on your satelite dish. :angry4: Use PAM cooking spray by the way.  ;)

So if satelite is not fast enough, I would say dump it. Myself, I like the improvement over dial-up on the D/L. But I am still waiting for civilization to reach me! Lol

• 3 weeks later...