The Biggest Thief of System Resources in XP is worthless - So Kill It!

The Reverend

Yo Cobra,

There is not any box to uncheck!  Once you are in where your System Services are found, just find the Messenger Service, double click on it, then in the center of that window you'll see a box with a 'down' arrow on it ...select "Disable" then back your way out of it.  If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll get more specific on how to get in there?  Fair Enough?

Start ---->Control Panel ----->Administrative Tools ---->Double Click "Services" ---->scroll down to "Messenger" and then do what I just described.  Easy!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

The Reverend

Now, click on My Computer.  RIGHT click on your C: Drive (or whatever you have named it), then click on Properties and uncheck the box (at the bottom) that says: "Allow Indexing To Index This Drive For Fast File Searching", then click on OK.  Now a flurry of files will start to go by and when it stops, just click on OKAY TO ALL and let it finish then close out of that drive ....you are done unless you have another HDD (if so do the same with it)!

i mean that one

Hmm...I don't get it here. (not that it needs to be done, but it's odd that you are not pulling it up ....we are using XP right)??? lol

I mean, on your desktop you either doubleclick on My Computer so that the next window that pops up shows you your c: drive Icon (and other drive icons if you have them.

THEN you rightclick ON THE DRIVE ICON, select Properties, then "uncheck" the bottom statement about "Indexing" for that drive.....

OR -------> START, MY COMPUTER, (new page) Hard Disk Drives, (right click on your C: Drive and click on properties at the very bottom?) ---->now, at the very bottom of the window that just pooped up ....er I mean POPPED up, is where you want to uncheck the box that talks about Indexing for that Drive! (In the GENERAL TAB).

Find it now?

:)

The Reverend

*sorry I wasn't explicit enough ....major brain fades lately!!!!!

It won't show that box to uncheck if they ever checked the box to compress files to save disk space on that particular drive. That's probably why they aren't seeing it.  One of my drives has it but the other doesn't because of this. :) Hope this helps!

Ut oh!  That's right!  If you have compressed your drive(s) then like the man says it is not going to show that option, because it is stuck in there ...no worries though, you can still turn it off and save your resources because the HDD will just allow the defragger to move the files around in a different (and more efficient) manner!

Thanks for that tip there NoShow!  I appreciate it very much (never crossed my mind in the least because I never compress anything except when I am e-mailing files!

Cheers!

"The Rev"

I think that once you have compressed them that the drive is forever in a compressed format (unless you trash it, reformat it, then reload it all over again).  However, I know a 'guru' and I'll give him a call. Give me a few minutes and I'll be back with the "bottom line" for an answer on that one.

"The Rev"

*Still, it really doesn't matter that you can't access that part of the Indexing, because you have disabled it.  Now the usual defrag will "do it's thing" and make things better in a matter of days.  Still, let me call "the man" and find out....  brb!

:-| Hmmm I thought a disk could be un or decompressed....but now I'm not sure, but I'm gonna find out....it seems like I was told once upon a time is a way to look at a compressed drive is that its almost like its Zipped.....now I wont be able to go to s;sleep until I find the correct answer......LOL

8) Microwave