Microsoft update will not install

tm24ns58

I have 2 diffferent computers and neither will install this update.

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB917283)

After it tries to install it I get a message that it cannot install it. Does anyone have any ideas why I may be getting this message?

Follow the linked thread from the Windows Defender Forum.  There are a lot of really smart people over there that may help even though the issue is not with Defender!

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/reader/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity&tid=2a816c19-917a-4f22-8d45-608106c8a402&lang=en&cr=US&p=1

After a couple of hours on the phone with Microsoft I was able to get it installed. This is what they had me do.

Resolution:

- uninstalled .Net Framework 2.0 from Add/remove programs

- Deleted V2.0 from Start/Run/Microsoft.net

- Deleted keys of V2.0 from registry

Thanks tm24ns58!  I'll mess with it after my wife falls asleep.  Amazing how MS has all these problems all the time, yet even freeware developers can normally update their progs with far fewer issues!  Took two months before Windows Defender could update without any problems.  The irony of that one was that MS Anti Spy (or whatever it was called, that they purchased from Giant) was working fine until they decided to mess with it.