Longest word : fun fact

CA3LE

here is a little fun fact that some of you might find interesting.  I was watching the science channel just now (the showDiscoveries This Week) and it was a little fun fact they said before the commercial.

The longest word in the dictionary isn't supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  It is in fact a chemical compound that is 1,913 letters long!  This is the absolute truth, no joke.  It refers to a specific portion of a strand of DNA.

Here goes...

The longest official word ever (1,913 letters) is the term for the formula C1289H2051N343O375S8

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenyl-

alanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysyglutamyl-

gycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonyl-

leucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyllisoleucylglutamylglutaminyl-

serylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucyl-

glutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucyl-

glycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucyl-

alanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginyl-

alanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanyl-

glycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanyl-

glutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyl-

lysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucyl-

leucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanyl-

asparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyl-

tyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalyl-

aspartylsrylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalyl-

glutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminyl-

alanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanyl-

prolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartyl-

alanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminyl-

isoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyl-

tyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycyl-

alanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylleucyllysyl-

glutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminyl-

glycylphenylalanylglysylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminyl-

valyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanyl-

glycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucyl-

isoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamyl-

prolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenyl-

alanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginy-

lserine.

Try saying that five times fast ;-)

But the longest 'real' word that doesn't refer to a name of a disease, place or chemical compound is actually floccinaucinihilipilification.  Do you remember the comercial where there were kids at a spelling bee?  The host said to the first kid "cat" the kid said "cat, C-A-T, cat.  Then the next kid came up and the host said "Your word is floccinaucinihilipilification" and the kid just sat there... then the comerical said something like "does life seem unfair sometimes... grab a coke" or some S#!t like that, lol..... I guess I'm the only one that remembers that.

the really funny thing is I tried to run spellcheck on this and it errored out, hahahaha, see the screenshot I've added ;-) - you know it's a crazy word when it crashes spellcheck.

-Damon

yep u seem to be correct sir...

The Guinness Book of Records, in its 1992 and subsequent editions, declared the "longest real word" in the English language to be floccinaucinihilipilification at 29 letters. Defined as "the act of estimating (something) as worthless", its usage has been recorded as far back as 1741.

the next longest word besides that chemical formula is...what the hell is that chemical anyway???

Antidisestablishmentarianism (a nineteenth century movement in England opposed to the separation of church and state) at 28 letters is one of the longest words in the English language.

that's the one that i learned in school...

edit...i found out what that monster word means...it's...

tryptophan synthetase, a protein, which has 267 amino acids in it...

the next longest word besides that chemical formula is...what the hell is that chemical anyway???

It has something to do with DNA... I have no idea what it is specifically, and I don't think I can google something that long.. bah ha ha ha

actually, there is a "new" longest word ever, that is not any of those things...

want to know what it is?

do you?

do you really?

well...

I can tell you .......

if you really REALLY want to know.............

but you can't get mad at me...........

because YOU wanted to know!

You want to hear it don't you?

DON'T you?

c'mon, admit it.......................

you want it..............

ok

here it is...........

(if I get banned for this it's YOUR fault beacuse you asked............)

CA3LEisthehottestwebmasterunderthesunandroxorsmysoxorsandheissocuteandsexandstufflikethatthaticantfindenoughwordstodescribehowsexythatmanisandifihadhimlockedinaroomandcoulddoanythingiwantedtohimicouldnevertellyoubecausehewouldgetembarrassedlikehedidlastnightwhenwehadnaughtymonkeysexinthediningroomhangingfromthechandelierandoopsnowsomeonehedoesntwanttoknowabouthisnaughtysidehasreadthisandknowsjusthowbadheisbutreallyheisawesomeatbeingbadinbedandeveryfemaleintheworldshouldbeasluckyasiaminmywickeddreamsofhimandifyoumenarejealousitsyourownfaultfornotbeingasawesomeandphysicalasheisanddidimeantionhewascodingforthesiteatthesametimeandididntevennoticebecauseiwasscreaminghisnameoutloudandthenieghborcalledthepoliceandtheycameknockingonthedoorandianswereditnakedandtheygapedatmeandsawthepurplecatoninetailsinmyhandandchuckledandleftandsaidsomepeopleskidsbutafterthatiwokeupandtheairconditoingwasstillbrokeandnowiamhotbutihavegreatdreams

:D

oh hush, you just wish I had named you! :P

;)

oh, and I could wirte more :P

Sorry Im gonna have to give you a red flag here. Your word is disqualified for the use of leet speek. We dont tolerate your kind round these parts. Hussy. :cussing: :cussing:

Sorry Im gonna have to give you a red flag here. Your word is disqualified for the use of leet speek. We dont tolerate your kind round these parts. Hussy. :cussing: :cussing:

I got your leet bitch, but I will keep it in pm, where I know you like it!

night! :D

CA3LEisthehottestwebmasterunderthesunandroxorsmysoxorsandheissocuteandsexandstufflikethatthaticantfindenoughwordstodescribehowsexythatmanisandifihadhimlockedinaroomandcoulddoanythingiwantedtohimicouldnevertellyoubecausehewouldgetembarrassedlikehedidlastnightwhenwehadnaughtymonkeysexinthediningroomhangingfromthechandelierandoopsnowsomeonehedoesntwanttoknowabouthisnaughtysidehasreadthisandknowsjusthowbadheisbutreallyheisawesomeatbeinGBadinbedandeveryfemaleintheworldshouldbeasluckyasiaminmywickeddreamsofhimandifyoumenarejealousitsyourownfaultfornotbeingasawesomeandphysicalasheisanddidimeantionhewascodingforthesiteatthesametimeandididntevennoticebecauseiwasscreaminghisnameoutloudandthenieghborcalledthepoliceandtheycameknockingonthedoorandianswereditnakedandtheygapedatmeandsawthepurplecatoninetailsinmyhandandchuckledandleftandsaidsomepeopleskidsbutafterthatiwokeupandtheairconditoingwasstillbrokeandnowiamhotbutihavegreatdreams

haha *blush*

There actually is a word longer than that... it's "smiles"

...... hey, there is a 'mile' between the first and last letter  .. }}} bu-du-dum--crash! {{{

lol

actually, there is a "new" longest word ever, that is not any of those things...[ ....]

CA3LEisthehottestwebmasterunderthesunandroxorsmysoxorsandheissocuteandsexandstufflikethatthaticantfindenoughwordstodescribehowsexythatmanisandifihadhimlockedinaroomandcoulddoanythingiwantedtohimicouldnevertellyoubecausehewouldgetembarrassedlikehedidlastnightwhenwehadnaughtymonkeysexinthediningroomhangingfromthechandelierandoopsnowsomeonehedoesntwanttoknowabouthisnaughtysidehasreadthisandknowsjusthowbadheisbutreallyheisawesomeatbeingbadinbedandeveryfemaleintheworldshouldbeasluckyasiaminmywickeddreamsofhimandifyoumenarejealousitsyourownfaultfornotbeingasawesomeandphysicalasheisanddidimeantionhewascodingforthesiteatthesametimeandididntevennoticebecauseiwasscreaminghisnameoutloudandthenieghborcalledthepoliceandtheycameknockingonthedoorandianswereditnakedandtheygapedatmeandsawthepurplecatoninetailsinmyhandandchuckledandleftandsaidsomepeopleskidsbutafterthatiwokeupandtheairconditoingwasstillbrokeandnowiamhotbutihavegreatdreams

:D

water , dear ,  i love ya but you have some ...serious.... for serious... issues lady.. :-P

It is an enzyme having 267 amino acids!    hahaha

copy cat...hahawell actually i said A protein

tryptophan synthetase, a protein, which has 267 amino acids in it...

which is found in the dna of e-coli (an enteric pathogen)...but this particular protein is not found in humans

• 5 years later...

Actually the longest word is: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

But the longest 'real' word that doesn't refer to a name of a disease, place or chemical compound is actually floccinaucinihilipilification.

-Damon

but 45 letters for a lung disease is a loooong word for sure