Computer Shut Down

igarek77

Hi Guys,

Have a quick question:

When I shut down my computer, it goes through it's normal cycle of shutting down, but then it would just get stuck on a screen saying computer is shutting down and won't actually turn off. I have to hold the power button for a while and then it shuts off.

When I power the PC on after that, I get no errors, like the PC was shut down normally. How would I fix that so the PC would actually shut down by itself? Thanks for any help. :shock:

You might try here:

15. Computer Won't Shut Down

This usually happens if Windows is having trouble closing a program. The easiest way to avoid the problem is to close all programs before you close Windows.

If that does not help, you need to track down which program is causing the problem.

If you are running Windows 95, remove all shortcuts from your StartUp folder.

If you are working with 98/ME/XP, uncheck all the programs listed in StartUp in the System Configuration Utility (you get to the utility by opening Start/Run and typing "msconfig" without the quotes in the Run box and then clicking on OK).

Shut down the PC. Reboot. Shut down again.

Then add one program back, shut down, reboot and shut down again.

If Windows shuts down as it should, add a program back to StartUp and repeat the shutdown, reboot, shutdown routine. Do that until you have pinpointed the errant program and reinstall it. If you are running a screen saver, consider it also to be a prime suspect.

Your Advanced Power Management, or APM, utility has decided to take leave of its senses.

Disable it, both in your BIOS file and in Windows.

That little sound riff that accompanies the shutdown is hitting a sour note.

Go to Control Panel and click on the Sounds icon to open the Property dialog box.

Scroll down in the Events box until you see Exit Windows. Change the sound settings to None.

Your TEMP folders are bulging at the seams.

If the C:WindowsTEMP folder gets overloaded, all sorts of bizarre events can ensue. Clean it out. While you are at it, clean out your Temporary Internet Files folder as well.

Updating XP with the latest Service Pack may also cure the shutdown failure.

However, it is also possible that Advanced Power Management, or APM, is getting in the way of the shutdown routine.

APM may not be enabled in your XP configurations, but it may be turned on in your BIOS, a memory-resident program that controls how your PC sets itself up.

Microsoft recommends that you go to the Control Panel, click on

Hi Guys,

Have a quick question:

When I shut down my computer, it goes through it's normal cycle of shutting down, but then it would just get stuck on a screen saying computer is shutting down and won't actually turn off. I have to hold the power button for a while and then it shuts off.

When I power the PC on after that, I get no errors, like the PC was shut down normally. How would I fix that so the PC would actually shut down by itself? Thanks for any help. :shock:

I was having the same problem after reinstalling XP Home. I hated the welcome screen so I turned it off in Control Panel>User Accounts>Change the way users login and off. Then I got this generic shut down box. I really hated that but it let the computer restart on its own. Then I went back to start up welcome screen and now it works fine. Hope this helps you. It just might have been a driver issue.

igarek77 ;You didn't say what OS you have.Since Windows 9x OS's have a lot of shut down problems there are a lot of fixes on the web including some MS patches.

I have my computers BIOS set so I get a screen after the Windows shutdown that says "Your computer is safe to turn off now" but that's BIOS specific & your computers BIOS may not have a setting for this.This did correct the freeze I would sometimes get when shutting down when Windows turned my computer all the way off.

I actually figured out what's causing the holdup, I'm using Webroot SpySweeper, and the latest version 5.0, it started hanging. So I think I'll be e mailing the support to resolve the issue, thanks for all the help.