My latest hack

php

Yeah... so I was bored again recently...

This one's pretty simple.  I wanted to be able to charge my ipod while on vacation without buying a wall or car charger.  (yeah, I'm cheap)  And I don't have a laptop...

This actually was a bit harder than I thought it would be.. apparently the 5G ipods don't charge by simply connecting the right pins to a 5V power source.  That didn't take long to discover...

So anyway, after quite a bit of research I discovered that you can trick the ipod into thinking it's connected to an unresponsive computer (or something like that..) by connecting the +/- data pins with a 1K resistor.  Of course I didn't want to go out and buy a 1K resistor so I went with the closest one I had.. 1.2K.  Close enough.  To implement this whole thing I cut the insulation and shielding off of a USB extension cable I had lying around.  (I didn't want to hack up my ipod cable for hopefully obvious reasons)  A razor makes quick work of cutting the data wires (green and white), followed by soldering the resistor to these wires on the female side of the cable.  On the male side, just make sure they won't short on anything.  A little bit of taping later, I have a completed wire that has the data transfer cables cut and connected with a resistor on the device end.  Now my USB hub comes into play, and it all works great.  Nice little hack that was much cheaper than a power brick that does the same thing.  (I didn't buy anything to make this.. it was all done with stuff I had lying around)

Although after all that work, I have a firewire cable on the way for another charger.  (the firewire specs are a lot more lenient voltagewise, so I can use one of the many transformers I have lying around to make a dedicated charging cable)

sidenote... How to Save a Life is my new favorite song... not that anyone cares lol

I'm fine with the case... and anyone else around here either doesn't have an ipod or doesn't have a case for it.  I'm the only one that's gonna see it most of the time anyway...

That's pretty crazy stuff man.  You're a regular MacGyver with your electronics.  Crazy stuff...but um, dude, do we need to get you a girlfriend or something?  Maybe you need to join a swim team.... :evil6: :evil6: i'm such a jerk.

Nah... I work 8 hours a day and I don't eat supper for about an hour after I get home, so I have a chunk of time where I get really bored.  And all my friends work all day too...

Next week I'm taking the whole week off and going on a nice little vacation... that could be fun :evil6:

That's pretty crazy stuff man.  You're a regular MacGyver with your electronics.  Crazy stuff...but um, dude, do we need to get you a girlfriend or something?  Maybe you need to join a swim team.... :evil6: :evil6: i'm such a jerk.

u mocking me fallow?? :lol:

Very cool php.. is that a usb print server?  Might want to try this.. http://devices.natetrue.com/musicap/