Where Do You Live?

CA3LE

On 2/25/2019 at 7:39 AM, mudmanc4 said:

Glad to hear Montana is not being sold to Canada

On 2/25/2019 at 8:07 AM, OCR said:

Well, it hasn't yet anyway...

Us canucks (half hour west of edmonton) wouldn't mind a bit of turf down in the tropics. lol (at least didn't quite make it down to -30 C last night, so I shouldn't whine I s'pose)

I can't help but wonder why combined tests can't be preset for size. It takes a lot of unnecessary time and data usage waiting for it to snoop, not to mention that it sometimes gets a silly huge number (several times the amount required) and takes several minutes to run. Auto testing can be particularly gluttonous, and it's often unattended so can become costly/risky. Most folks have a pretty fair idea what the ballpark they're in will be, and it would be nice to just set it there.

8 minutes ago, wiggy said:

I can't help but wonder why combined tests can't be preset for size. It takes a lot of unnecessary time and data usage waiting for it to snoop, not to mention that it sometimes gets a silly huge number (several times the amount required) and takes several minutes to run. Auto testing can be particularly gluttonous, and it's often unattended so can become costly/risky. Most folks have a pretty fair idea what the ballpark they're in will be, and it would be nice to just set it there.

Have you used any of the available settings in the auto test, to select maximum and or minimum download/upload sizes as pictured below?

By setting the minimum test size, this will set the maximum, if you are sure of what to expect, as the test will run until approx ~7 seconds per test is achieved. Therefore by setting this above what you expect to get, the test will not forward.

You can also set 'NFW; or No Forward, which  means the test will run as prescribed by these settings.

tmn-auto.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, wiggy said:

Obviously still a caveman here. I looked around a few times, yet still overlooked that. That's almost exactly what I was looking for except that a smidge lower that 1 Mb for minimal upload would be handy. (3/4 of a Mb would be ideal, but 1 Mb is still good)

Well, unfortunately I've decided to quit using your site for the combined auto test as my upload speed can vary from >1Mb to < 100Kb. (1Mb download is the lowest option you offer, despite your express test having many smaller options) I've tried setting it at 1Mb as well as just leaving it alone, yet still stumbled in and caught it taking ages (occasionally over a minute) for the upload portion alone. I try not to use my computer when tests are ongoing but often have to "end test" and come back if something comes up and I need to use my computer, hence deciding to quit using the combined auto test on this site as it serves so poorly.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Is there some way to get this site to use/display the correct time for it's test? I've looked at length (caveman though) and gave up a few times now. In fact, the old version displaying the time correctly while this new one wouldn't was the main reason I kept the old one until it was eliminated several weeks ago. Actually, for some reason, when the old version was discontinued I was pleasantly surprised to find the new version actually displaying the correct time, but that only lasted maybe a couple weeks if that (can't recall exactly) and the time returned to being incorrect. 

Well, sadly it is becoming clear that either you are unable to make your site use the correct time for it's testing since modifying it and doing away with the old version that worked properly, (rather unlikely) or that you couldn't care less that your updated version shows an inaccurate time for the automated testing now. It's not the end of the world by any means as the  extended testing  ability still leaves it providing the most convenient service I'm aware of, but it sure would be nice if it were possible to have the correct time displayed again

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/3/2017 at 6:44 AM, Charusho said:

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Worst internet speeds on the planet.

I would be willing to contest your statement sir  My avg. Down is 4.6 Mbps and my Up is a dismal 467Kbps.

Oh BTW I am in N.W. GA. Right smack in the middle of nothing. Some call it the Butt-crack of the Bible-belt. Anyone else from GA here?

• 3 months later...
  • CA3LE unpinned this topic