internet speed

purplemadboy

Hi All,new to this site so I hope I am doing this right.I live in the UK and use BT broadband,I upgraded from 2mb to 8mb a few weeks ago,I was told that my line could handle 6mb,this was ok by me so I signed up.After a few days I did a speed test and was getting 1.9mb virtually no difference from my old 2mb connection,I was told to wait 10 days so that the system would settle down.Went on holiday for 2 weeks now my connection speed is 950kbs,I contacted BT and they are sending out an engineer next week.What do you guys think the fault could be,I don't see the point in the guy coming out.

Hi All,new to this site so I hope I am doing this right.I live in the UK and use BT broadband,I upgraded from 2mb to 8mb a few weeks ago,I was told that my line could handle 6mb,this was ok by me so I signed up.After a few days I did a speed test and was getting 1.9mb virtually no difference from my old 2mb connection,I was told to wait 10 days so that the system would settle down.Went on holiday for 2 weeks now my connection speed is 950kbs,I contacted BT and they are sending out an engineer next week.What do you guys think the fault could be,I don't see the point in the guy coming out.

Hi purplemadboy , welcome to the forum

Don't cancel that BT engineer whatever you do , to get one out normally takes weeks and you have to have good proof that it is a line/exchange problem , as they allways say it is your puter that is at fault ,

I an guessing you upgraded from 2Mb to 8Mb both with BT, your BT line should have been tested before the upgrade , Bt tell me that I can have UP TO 8Mb also.but it is a sad fact my BT line will not support more than 2Mb what BT is saying is the exchange has been upgraded and can run 8Mb

but only if your line supports that speed,  there is a BT line test that you can do yourself , unofficially  ;)

this is what the engineer will do , I got this info from a techie at my ISP, so my advice is let BT have a go first ,

purplemadboy do you know how old your phone line is , and how far from the exchange you live.

as this can be very relavant to this problem

from London I get within 3% of my quoted speed to TMN USA

Regards Roco  UK

P.S. I love the BT stock reply "wait 10 days so that the system would settle down"

more like, you might give up bothering us

do they suspect it has got the flu, or something  :roll:

never seen one recover yet,  :whaa: and I have seen a few  :(

P.S. if you get a good BT engineer , offer him a cup of tea  :lol:, they are worth their weight in gold , they do have some good'uns  :icon_thumright:

Roco UK

And maybe a biscuit to go with it? (cookie, right?)  :D

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum purplemadboy  :wave:

:roll:    :lol: :lol:

if he /she is really good more like a  :occasion14:

if it's a female engineer ,              marry her  :shock:

Hi Guys,Thanks for the info,engineer is coming on Thursday A.M .When I upgraded from 2 to 8md the line tested ok to run at 6mb,I was getting 1.9mb which pissed me off since my last download speed was already 2mb.Now that I am back from Holiday its down to 950kbs.So I think it has a temperature as the cold has got worse :haha:

Gee thanks Tommie :oops:  we have had centuries of the chips being down, to practice our humour ,  BT has been around a long time ,

purplemadboy, good luck , keep us posted , as I am looking to move up ,

although the engineers line test gives me a max of 2Mb ,and bt online check say's 8Mb

and again wellcome to the forum , good to have another UK member

as the membership is a little unbalanced ,at USA 29,997   UK 3  :o

but I rekon we gotem on the run !  :twogun:    LOL

Up Date....My internet speed has got over the flu ...temp back to normal and speed is now up to between 3.5 and 5mb ...so do you think I should cancel the engineer as if there is no fault found I will be charge. :shock:

Well I will eat my hat  :lol: or should that be cap ,!  how long has it been OK and are you happy with the speed  you now have ?  I think only you can make that decision , but if it was me I would cancel , no point in paying out good money, you can always call them out another time , if it go's down again although you would have to wait again ,

3.5 -5Mb  on a 6Mb line  is a bit low, if you are testing here , I get a steady speed within 5%

of my cap ,

Regards Roco UK

purplemadboy you might try tweaking the connection first to see if you can get closer first.

You are running a clean computer right, if not sure you might check here.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

Second of all get the tweak here. Just find the file that fits and go.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

It should help get you much closer.   :D

Up Date....My internet speed has got over the flu ...temp back to normal and speed is now up to between 3.5 and 5mb ..

How is the speed ? still ok , post some test results from Testmy.net .

as you should not be getting such a wide speed variation,

purplemadboy you might try tweaking the connection first to see if you can get closer first.

You are running a clean computer right, if not sure you might check here.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

Second of all get the tweak here. Just find the file that fits and go.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

It should help get you much closer.   :D

Just pick a cable-nut file that seems to be the one that is your type of connection. And follow the thread.

I am actually on the TCP Optimizer myself, it was easier for me. Same post for the TCP Optimizer.

Not much difference in speeds they say. But the cable-nut is supposed to be more flexible.  :D

update guys...engineer came out tested the line at 7.1 mb (guy was very helpful)but i still only get about 4mb at my pc...any ideas..had a look at tweaking my pc but not sure what to do..ta.

awsome u are lucky

i live a but far from the Exhange and they think i can only get 4Mb

anyway to help you out for you to get 7mb or near it

tell us do you connect via a USB to your Modem or ether to your modem?

do you connect to a modem or a router? what router dor you have ?

can you post some speed test here

can you post the specs of your machine

cpu and ram and stuff like that

when you do this test i assume u not running any other internet or any other resource hungry applications

keep in touch

always good to see some one from the uk

i am not roco but i also live in the uk HEHEH