Please Help with Linksys WRT54G ver.2 and Inspiron XPS Gen 2

Hey,

I am having problems with my linksys wrt54g ver.2 router and my Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop.  I am trying to connect wirelessly with my internal Intel 2200BG card.  The problem I am having is I cannot get my downloads over 2.5mb.  I running the card with power savings to max performance and I have tried different driver versions and I have reformated 3-4 times already.  The router is running DD-WRT v23 sp1 firmware.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Do you mean you cant download a file larger than 2.5Mb or that you can not download any faster than 2.5Mb?

If you mean faster than, do you know how fast you are supposed to download at?

At what rate is your wireless card associated at? 1,2,5.5,11, etc.....

Remember that Wireless is only half-duplex, so if you are associated at 2Mb, then the fastest you could ever see is 1mb. And u prolly would never see that either.

Also, whats wrong with 2.5mb/sec?!!??!?

I can download any size file, just not any faster than 2.5 mbits a sec.  I am connected to router @ 54 mb with excellent signal.  What it seems like it is to me is that my laptop is limiting the wireless adapter thinking it is trying to save power, but I have my power management set to Max Performance, so it is not the intel Power Saving Polling problem.  When I connect to the router through cat5 I can download @ 9 mbits a sec.  I am just trying to find out what my laptop chipset is throttling down...Please Help!!!

it isnt the card.. it is the entire wifi system... 802.11g is good to about 26Mbps.. I have tested on the WRT-54g with an Intel 2200 wifi card on an Inspiron 8600..  To a server with different types of network cards. 

Here are some of the results.. for the overall throughput of the router on cat 5 it was 91.275 Mbps or about 11 MB/s so you are seeing normal speeds there..

On the other hand with wifi and WPA I saw 17.3Mbps.  or about 2.16MB/s.. So you are faster at that.. This was done about 5 months ago on v.22 firmware..

Take a look at the attached info..  I plan to start running the tests on the new firmware once i get all my equipment back up to my new apartment..  If you like this type of info please let ca3le, the site owner, know! As the mods will start testing again..

So that would be throughput on a lan system..

As far as internet goes.. you should be able to get between 75-85% of the LAN speed on wifi.. you might want to try an tweak the settings for the wifi card using the guide in the Make It Faster forum.. They are normally set really conservatively so that the speeds on any network seem "fast"..

edit: fixed a couple units...

K to update my progress...This is really annoying.  I have tried on two routers the linksys and a Cisco 877W, Reinstalled windows with XP Home and Professional, with and without SP2 slipstreamed, Multiple drivers, still nothing faster than 2500kbps.  The really funny thing is that I was downloading two files @ 250-280KBs, and tested my connection and got about 2000kbps, that comes to about 6000kbps roughly.  Kinda puzzling isn't it...The only fix I have found is to install Windows Vista Beta 2, and use the drivers that come preinstalled, and bingo it is running full speed.  I can get speeds to the max of my service.  Very strange....Thanks for your guys thoughts...

yeah.. you might want to try dr. tcp.. i think it is called.. you can set more advanced settings..  I am not sure what is new in the vista networking stack.. I did have to change my tcp settings to get with in 80% of my ethernet speed..