Can this test open your CD drawer?

cholla

Nope.

And I'm not very impressed with that site... anyone using the internet should know they're reporting all that information to the web server.  They imply that it's being shown because of a lack of patches or their antispyware software.  And they reported my browser wrong...

Nope.

And I'm not very impressed with that site... anyone using the internet should know they're reporting all that information to the web server.  They imply that it's being shown because of a lack of patches or their antispyware software.  And they reported my browser wrong...

it reported my browser wrong too, and it also reported my local ip wrong.

I just found the site web surfing.I though the test was interesting.Thsite does want to promote their software .I don't know why it worked on mine unless it's because I have dial-up.I have AVG,AdAware,Spyware Blaster & Outpost firewall. you would think the firewall would have stopped it.

tommie gorman ;The test you posted required a DL.This one just opens the CD drawer.if it can.You don't have to DL anything.The only other test I copied the super Cookie # & closed my browser then went back to the site & it was the same & that is what it was supposed to do.Still I don't like that it couldd get  far enough into my PC to open the CD.

I just found the site web surfing.I though the test was interesting.Thsite does want to promote their software .I don't know why it worked on mine unless it's because I have dial-up.I have AVG,AdAware,Spyware Blaster & Outpost firewall. you would think the firewall would have stopped it.

No it didn't open mine , but I didn't get any firewall notification either,

has anyone tried this tool

a-squared Free 1.6.5

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/

they used to do a online scan free, but now do a free d/l version,

Hi Cholla what O/S are you on ? because I have seen this trick done some years back on 9x puters ,  but not on NT,

my clipbook was clear as my settings are screwed down tight and with no shares and auto updates, even then the firewall is set to ask , the other info is normal viewable things, so I gues if to come I to TMN from dsl  Reports , some body would know    :x  

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: but to be fair I havent even figured out how to open my CD drawer.  :oops:

Shug see the shiny little button in the corner of the CD just begging "Push Me,Push Me"  :haha:

Roco: I have Wndows ME.There may be no way to stop this.I could block the site  with my firewall but that would still leave it open for someone else to do.I just don't like that some site can do something to my PC I haven't allowed them to do.

Hi Chilla ,my B/B Xp was OK but I will try it on dial up later, (off peak rate )

I will try it on dial up and ME when I can find the H/D with it on

my firewall gave no indication either , but no draw opened ,

Hi cholla , sorry my previous reply got into your quote

just tried my Xp box on dial up with this test , no CD draw opened ,

I will try ME if I can later ,

Oh , my 56k has become  slow, guess the system set up for B/B has affected this

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 47 Kbps about 0.05 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 6 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/07/24 - 10:11am

Bottom Line:: 1X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 170.67 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 100.406 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 5.9 % of your hosts average (ntli.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Z64CT5B1Y

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon) [!]

Shug see the shiny little button in the corner of the CD just begging "Push Me,Push Me"  :haha:

Roco: I have Wndows ME.There may be no way to stop this.I could block the site  with my firewall but that would still leave it open for someone else to do.I just don't like that some site can do something to my PC I haven't allowed them to do.

I pushed it and my computer turned off... dumbass.  :roll:

Howdy Roco ;thanks for all the trouble you're going to to test this.& That's plenty good speed for dial-up.Unless you used to be faster.The limit is really 53.3 max & you have to be close to your telco to get that.At one time I got some very fast results but they had to be wrong.Now if I get 47 like you tested I'm satisfied.

ROM-DOS is the only one I've seen get consistently higher speed with dial-up.

btw my distance from the telco is 26529 feet.

I pushed it and my computer turned off... dumbass.  :roll:

Shug ; I forgot I was instructing a newbie .  :haha:

Next time I will ask what your PC is & draw a diagram.

Howdy Roco ;thanks for all the trouble you're going to to test this.& That's plenty good speed for dial-up.Unless you used to be faster.The limit is really 53.3 max & you have to be close to your telco to get that.At one time I got some very fast results but they had to be wrong.Now if I get 47 like you tested I'm satisfied.

ROM-DOS is the only one I've seen get consistently higher speed with dial-up.

btw my distance from the telco is 26529 feet.

Hi Cholla , sorry for the delay, We had a power outage for a day yesterday

and my laptop was uncharged ,  :I have just done the test on O/S Me , with dial up and broad band ,with and without A/V and firewall , I did get a I.E. pop up box  " infomation if any " with a "OK" button , but NO CD draw opened ,  although I had the latest I.Explorer SP1 for 9x  , maybe that a update would solve your problem ?

I am 8202 ft from my local exchange on a 40 year old line, and it has ADSL on it, and was told to expect a reduction in speed due to that, so maybe 47Kbps is really good , I used to get 51.Kbps

my line will only support 2Mbps ASDL anyway , so I am running 256 Kbps B/B, no I don't post in "how Fast are you topics" LOL  but it suits my needs, as I ain't going anywere in a hurry

Roco  UK       

Hi Roco;I have the latest IE 6 SP1 & Internet tools . IE v 6.0.2800.1106 Update Versions SP1

IE 7 is not supposed to work with 9X.So not sure what but it looks like the problem is in IE.Since you didn't get anything but a pop up box even without AV & firewall.

On my phone line its 35 to 40 years old & in the air type.& woth the wind we get at times it's been whipped around a lot.But the phone company won't replace it unless it test below voice quality level.It tests ok according to them.I guess it might "accidently "snap sometime in a wind storm then the would have to replace it.All inside wiring is CAT 3 I know I did it myself.

This runs all the way to the modem I made my own cable with module plugs from the wall jack as well. I don't think CAT 5 would be any better for a dial-up line.

This is why I test 36Kbps or better consistently. Both the phone company & my ISP say the best I should expect at this distance is 28Kbps.So I always test faster than that .Dial up suits my needs as well but I would go with the low priced DSL if it was available.But even one that would install it said they couldn't guarentee beter than dial-up when I pressed them on this.They said I would probably get 64Kbps at this distance because of the DSL line.But no guarentee of that.So until they put in a remote terminal closer& there are no plans of that any time soon I will have dial-up.Satellite is the only other alternative.

Hi Cholla

Yeah, I got a pop up box , titled Internet explorer, infomation if any , with a OK button , no further info as to what infomation this applied to , so i clicked OK

still no draw opened , sorry I cant help any further, I also turned off AV and firewall , still the same result . but I can remember that test from about 4 years back , with the CD draw opening, I thought it spooky at the time ,

I was on 56k dial up for 3 years , and paying by the minute , till I found a program called Tick by really effective , it can be set to count costs ,as well as data sent and received , so it proved for me, a set price B/B was the cheaper option ,   our national telcom B.T.also only provides voice quality , my line got damaged , so I climbed the pole and repaired it :shock:

just had a thought have you tried F.Fox , would be interesting to see if that did the same

Roco

Roco I had FF also at one time but when I reformatted I decided to use just IE.

I found a way to stop thee cd drawer from opening by disabling Active Scripting in Security/Custom level the only problem is this disables JAVA scripting & THE TMN site doesn't look right with it that way.Maybe a little more looking & I will find another way.

The work around for IE is this: Tools/Internet Options/Security/Internet/Custom Level/Scripting/Active scripting select disable.

Then in the same area except Trusted sites you enable it.

Of course this means any site not in trusted sites can't use Active scripting.Which if you web surf like most of us do this would be a pain.