Satellite Dishes - A Closer Look

The Reverend

In response to the many questions I have received pertaining to Satellite Dishes, and "pointing them up" ....here is an in-depth PDF Manual that leaves no stone unturned about the principals behind satellite dishes, and just may provide the reader with the precise information they are seeking in order to realise maximum performance from their dishes.  (There is no additional data such as I have posted before on how to align a satellite dish though, this manual is quite the opposite of that article, and was last updated in 1998.  Granted, it gets a bit technical in a few areas, yet the majority of it is very well worded and much of the information can be applied to narrow down "impossible" problems!  Therefore, if you are a dish owner the information contained herein is (or potentially could be) quite valuable throughout, and will assist you in ways that you may not (presently) be aware of. 

*No part of this manual remotely talks about DirecWay Satellite dishes, yet that is of no consequence as the mathematical principles behind dishes have not changed for well over a decade or more, and quite likely it will be another decade before any radical improvements are discovered.  (Hey ....find a way to redesign a dish and you'll have the world knocking down your door to buy it)! 

**At this point in time, the greatest improvement that you can make to your dish is to apply several layers of Rain-X to the concaved area of your dish so that water will not have a fighting chance of sticking to it.  Therewith, in a pouring down rain you will maintain a slightly higher signal due to a lesser amount of water causing reflection problems from the dish into your Feedhorn (collector).  :)  Please remember to make sure your dish is NOT transmitting if you are going to be standing in such close proximity to the Emitter!  For DW4000 and 4020 users, just kill the power.  For DW6000 users, you only need to make sure that nobody is using the Internet and you'll be perfectly safe (excluding the dish being atop an 80 foot tower such as mine is)!  :shock:

Enjoy, and feel free to post questions or e-mail me if you wish concerning the matter.

Cheers!

"The Reverend"

AH!  No problem lance49726 ......when I have about 20 'irons in the fire' (helping several ppl at once), I sometimes give worthless info to everyone because I get who wants what all turned around in my little brain ...but at least they cut me slack for it ....and a couple of those times it actually worked out for the better because they got a file they never heard of and fixed problems they didn't know they had)!  LOL! 

Ai-yi-yi ....too bad our brains can't keep up with these monsters we've created!  ;)

"The Rev"

*But you had me wondering like crazy and rechecking all of my last 100 posts!  lol....Did alot of editing so TY!!!  Everything always works out for the better.  And when it comes to this Forum, I ain't had this much fun since the pigs ate my kid sister!  :)

hm, i wonder what the electro-reflective properties of the lotus-effect paints are. these use microparticles to create a surface so finely textured that nothing adheres to it. this is how the leaf of the lotus keeps from royying from a coat of water. you can pour glue onto it, it will just bead off. sprinkle toner onto it, and you can just rinse it with water.

the small particles shouldnt affect the refl;ection for the pertinent freq range. sounds worth a try.

BASF press release

<begins>

The lotus effect keeps the leaf surface clean

The clean leaves of the lotus plant provided the inspiration for studies on the self-cleaning of surfaces. Botanist Professor Wilhelm Barthlott of Bonn University succeeded in explaining the lotus effect and utilizing it for technical applications. The self-cleaning process is based on the extremely water-repellent behavior of the leaf surface, also known as superhydrophobia. The water droplets form spherical globules and roll off the leaves even when they are only slightly inclined. Particles of dirt absorbed by the water are removed in the process, as we can see happening with this droplet on the leaf of the ancient Asiatic crop plant Colocasia esculenta. In this picture taken by Barthlott's research team, we can also see the papillae on the cuticula. These papillae about 5 to 10 micrometers high are themselves coated by a fine nanostructure of wax crystals.

<ends>

the water droplet with adhering dirt.

-foto.htm?fotoid=1179&typ=bild

hi-res of same.

http://www.corporate.basf.com/basfcorp/copsfiles/pressefotodb/1209_lotuseffekt-lotus_effect.jpg?id=2Oqn.6BEbbcp1pC

more to follow...

well, there is actually already a few products. this link

http://www.iza.com/zwo_org/Applications/Continuous_Galv/PDFs/03Reier.pdf

is to a pdf, which is mostly about the application process, but at the bottom it has some info on the material itself.

for anti-graffiti, the stuff is hydrophobic, oleophobic and organophobic, so whatever you're trying to spray, it will come off easily. he.