How to detect a cap?

Shpoon

I was directed here by someone who told me you guys would be able to help :) And searching detect cap, caps, remove caps, didn't do much...

So...I'm on an advertised 5mbit line (3mbit avaliable to my area) and have a real speed of 1mbit, and I mean right on. Every test I run here:

1003 kbps (122 kB/s)

1003 kbps (122 kB/s)

1001 kbps (122 kB/s)

And I can bet you any part in my computer :P that if I run it again, any time of the day, it'll be right on the 1mbit dot.

If that's not a cap, I really don't know what's going on. However, I can't really accuse my ISP of a cap without some sort of proof, so I was wondering how I could test that.

Thanks

Shpoon welcome to the forum.

first off who is your ISP?

Bell Sympatico, I live in a suberb near Toronto

DSL

Win XP SP2

Using a Dlink router, modem to router to computers

Lines have been checked, some things replaced. (corroded wires in the box outside).

what kind of modem do you have because it will tell you what speed  your are actually connected at. and if its connected at your advertised then its something with your computer or router.

I have a modem issued by sympatico, so not really sure how to check that.

I have a modem issued by sympatico, so not really sure how to check that.

plug your modem directly into your computer and go into the control panel of it, on one of the pages in it, (most likey a page called stats or statistics) it will say a rate that you are connected at.

have you called your ISP about this?

plug your modem directly into your computer and go into the control panel of it, on one of the pages in it, (most likey a page called stats or statistics) it will say a rate that you are connected at.

have you called your ISP about this?

Where would the control panel for it be? (Sorry for being so ignorant :))

And ya, I've called my ISP, though never about a cap before, usually just about low speeds and they tell me that maybe my area just can't get the full speeds...but I mean...1mbit consitantly?

Where would the control panel for it be? (Sorry for being so ignorant :))

And ya, I've called my ISP, though never about a cap before, usually just about low speeds and they tell me that maybe my area just can't get the full speeds...but I mean...1mbit consitantly?

to get into the control panel for the modem have it pluged directly into the pc no router, and type what ever your default gateway is most likely 192.168.1.254 into your browser.

to get into the control panel for the modem have it pluged directly into the pc no router, and type what ever your default gateway is most likely 192.168.1.254 into your browser.

K, I'll get back to you on that, I have to leave my house right now, emergency, thanks for help, I'll tell you what I find later.

Pretty much....my ISP lied about everything.

I'm on wires that apparently "can't handle" a 3mbit connection (is this possible?). The 3mbit lines were easily converted to 5, but the 1s can't get upgraded unti lthe physical lines are changed. Yet, I've been apying for a 3/5 line for so long, and only getting 1. That's bullshit. When monday comes I'm calling them to get a refund...

Just curious, if they can only offer a 1mbit line to me, would this be the same throughout ISPs?

Went to my modem (speedstream 5200) IPA was different :P

And I can't find what I'm looking for...just general info, nothing about a cap.

no its there, if your ISP doesn't have there own special control panel for it then get back in to the modem and go to Stats & Statistics then click DSL you should get a page that looks like the attached picture, i need the 2 numbers that i have circled.