Router is hurting my connection. badly.

it started about 4 days ago, when i couldnt get on any websites , but everything else was fine. (normal ping in all game servers). so i figured the problem were the DNS servers that i was using.(i guess the ones i were using, got erased from my settings??)  so i went and googled around a bit for some, but all of the ones i used seemed really slow. So i contacted my ISP (verizon) and they gave me the correct ones to use. so i thought "hey great this will fix it!". so i went to routerlogin, changed it, and it did nothing. and now everything is messed up!  I have like 600-1500 ping in all game servers, and downloading at approximately 50 Kbps. (before the only problem was websites). so i googled some more and tried everything. no spyware,  i thought maybe someone was stealing my bandwidth , but nope. I have been messing with the router settings for a bit, its not the MTU settings either.  ive tried to release flushdns , registerdns and renew my ip also.

a week ago this was fine. i am the pc with the modem and router and my brother is using the wireless over in the other room,  his is obviously bad too. 

the thing is i know its not my internet ,because when i only use the modem, it works normally. (180 Kbps)  i am using a netgear 108Mbps WGT624.

thanks for everyones help in advance!!!!!!!!

Hello and welcome, bob12345.

So you have bypassed your router (connected your PC directly to your modem) and everything is cool?  I'm assuming you've used an ethernet connection to the router to make sure it's not just wireless interference.

Have you tried resetting your router? I have never owned a Netgear, but most routers have a reset button. It's usually a recessed button, like a pinhole. Disconnect the power, and hold the reset button in for a few seconds. Then powercycle your devices (power everything down, bring up modem, then router, then pc's). This should restore everything on the router to the factory default. Test the router using ethernet....leave the wireless out of the picture for a bit (another can of worms). Let us know if this makes any difference.

I would try the reset like Fallow said.. if that doesnt work... I would reflash the router's firmware.. If things go dissappearing on the router that is a little bit of a consern to me.. I have a WGR614 and things just change all the time..

Has the product ever been stable?

ok guys, i thought i should do that too, so hopefully, ill be back on with a good connection later!

thank you much

i reset it and all was well but got some huge ping spikes. download rate is normal 150-180 Kbps. took a bit to connect to messaging progs.  another question. i dont understand how my download rate is fine, but ping for gameservers is doing weird spikes. like 60 (normal) to 400?     

thank you for advice  =)

oh yes and should i consider reseting my modem?  when i do the http.//192.168.1.1  (for my router)  why does the title say westell (name of modem) and i cant get in the login for that , but i used to be able to.  i can get on routerlogin.net though.    very odd.

any help is greatly appreciated.

oh yes and swimmer, it was working just fine a week ago. =(

i cant modify my last posts O_o, but my net is fine now but my bros pc cant connect to router ?  and i cant get on routerlogin.net or the other login .  poop!!!

ok i reset my connection, and my brothers pc is good now.lol. sorry for all the posts guys, but hopefully everything is good now.

thanks for your help and have a nice day!!

(i hope there is no more problems)                  =P

mk. im really sorry about all these posts. but this is just frustrating.    internet was fine a half an hour ago. but now its the same as it was.    im looking at the statistics for transmit and receive right now on my brothers computer, and the chart just goes up and down and even more so when i connect to a halo server.        up and down up and down.

yeah. im on the pc with the modem and router here and he has that antennae thingy over  there.  i went into the settings and there is no one else connected, i also put a password on it, no difference. and there is no interference from any phones or other appliances.  ive scanned both pcs, nothing. i know its a prob with the router because it works great with the ethernet goin only to the modem

and it used to work fine, not sure why it is messed up now

well its only sitting on this big wooden thing. right next to a large metal file cabinet. i heard these cause interference but, it does the same thing when i move it, and that wouldnt be effecting the connection at this computer would it? only my bros? and the computer is in my basement , its hot, humid,  a lot of moisture  in the air, i bet the moisture just killed it, do u think? hmm idk what to do now man.

well it worked fine for a few months. only now is it messin up  and btw im like sitting here holding it at eye level, and it seems to be not spiking as much........ O_o  nope nevm does the same when i put it down.    what can be causing the speed to go up and down so much.. ////////      lol.

when u type in the address for the modem, can u change any settings in it. i wonder if any settings got changed somehow if u can get into it.

when u say up and down, how much speed is being used, if its alot, then i would think a virus are trojan. Norton has a online test that works pretty good

well when i do the address for the modem , i cant get into it with the name and password that the router gives me. (but i did login with it when i first installed the router?)  i CAN get on routerlogin.net though. ive messed with the dns servers and i AM using the coorect ones, ive fiddled with the mtu and the security settings, no differences though. 

my ping spikes in game servers from like 50 to like 700, sometimes thousands.