Question about cable...

Shpoon

Well, eventually I got this sorted out...I was told my line couldn't handle the >1mbit speeds (joy), and was overpaying for a 3/5mbit line, so their solution was knock off $12 a month.

Now, that's all good, but I still am thinking about a switch...(did I mention, I'm using the bundle, so if I stop the internet service, I lose long distance (free) and $10 off the total bill?).

Anyways, no DSL is able to give me >1mbit speeds apparently because of my crappy lines (can anyone confirm/deny this?) so I was thinking about switching to cable and had a couple questions.

1. With a 5mbit cable line being daisychained around, what speeds should I really expect?

2. Are dropoffs common with cable? (I get them alot with DSL of any company)

3. Is cable speed usually consistant?

4. What's involved with setting up a cable connection? (I don't even have cable TV). How much is generally charged, and do the ISPs do it themselves?

Thanks

1. With a 5mbit cable line being daisychained around, what speeds should I really expect?

[/html]

The way that Cable internet works it is like a Hub in a sense for a local area network..  On cable everyone shares bandwidth with everyone one else.  Also all of your traffic is visible to everyone else.. this isnt as much of a problem due to the encryption and security settings that have been put into place.. but in the early days of cable internet it was possible to set up a file/printer sharing community with other people on you node..  Since you are sharing bandwidth with other house in you area you can expect that is everyone is downloading a movie for the speeds to drop..  Most Cable companies establish caps on their line.. they may or may not be at what they advertised their speeds at.  (Comcast for example sets their caps higher than what they offer..  Yet insight sets them right at what they offer because they are having bandwidth / upgrade issues)

This way you can not get a whole lot more than what you paid for and if you are downloading something then it keeps it in reason so that there is enough bandwidth to go around.  It is rare that you see slow downs do to traffic on the network.  Most ISPs keep their network traffic/bandwidth ratio pretty well padded.

[html]

2. Are dropoffs common with cable? (I get them alot with DSL of any company)

Normally, in my opinion, Cable is more reliable than DSL / phone.  The most common issues are signal issues.. that can be adjusted by the cable company.. It happens when they are adding more people to the node..  I have had cable for about 5-6 year and have only had the tech out maybe 4 times.. most of those visits were in the beginning due to signal issues.

3. Is cable speed usually consistant?

[/html]

see question #1

[html]

4. What's involved with setting up a cable connection? (I don't even have cable TV). How much is generally charged, and do the ISPs do it themselves?

Most, not all, ISPs offer home install.  If you are a cable TV subscriber it can be cheaper but only by like $5-10..  If you are going to require a cable line installed to your house then professional install is going to be needed and that can run anywhere from $50-100 depending on the company..

As far as pricing my Comcast connection (6/384) is $45 and my insight (4/384) is $35..

Hope this helps..

Alright then...

Seems I only have 1 cable provider in my area...Rogers :/

Are different ISPs able to use the same cable line? Or would they need an independant one? I know Bell's lines have to be shared with all DSL companies, but not sure about cable, as Rogers is the only one as far as I know that has a line laid.

How about this:

Usually, are the modems that you can rent from the ISPs any good? Or would it be a safer bet to just buy my own? (suggestions?)

My current DSL modem likes to drop the connection, constantly.

I would buy your own you can get a much better modem if you buy it your self.

You should probally get a Dlink DCM 202 or a MOTOROLA SB5120

With Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet Extreme, you will need to purchase your modem from a third party retailer. To ensure that you don't purchase a modem that is not compatible with the service, please review the list below. The following modems are the only ones currently supported by Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Extreme:

* Motorola SB5100

* Toshiba PCX2600

* Scientific Atlanta DPX2100 and DPC2100

* RCA DCM 325 and DCM 425

* Linksys BEFCMU10

Why so few? And which of those seems best?

What difference would a modem that I buy have over one they supply?

Why so few? And which of those seems best?

What difference would a modem that I buy have over one they supply?

of those one the toshiba and the motorola are the best.

the difference would be that if you buy one you own it so if you move and have to get a different provider you already have a modem. Also if you rent one and stay with them for a long time you will end up paying for that modem and then some.

of those one the toshiba and the motorola are the best.

the difference would be that if you buy one you own it so if you move and have to get a different provider you already have a modem. Also if you rent one and stay with them for a long time you will end up paying for that modem and then some.

Now, why would that motorola be supported, but not the one you suggested? And other than the price/renting, would one I buy be more reliable, or are they all about the same?

Now, why would that motorola be supported, but not the one you suggested? And other than the price/renting, would one I buy be more reliable, or are they all about the same?

the reason its not listed is because they probally just haven't tested it. One you buy would be more reliable if the modem it self if a better modem. For example those RCA modems are grabage doesn't matter if you rent it or buy it. Also if you rent one your porbally going to get a used modem.

Sorry, it's just I'm completely ignorant towards these types of things; I'm wondering what makes these rented modems garbage? What actual first-hand experiances/problems can arise from using one?

And you say they probably havn't tested it, so pretty much any cable modem should work with a cable connection?

Sorry, it's just I'm completely ignorant towards these types of things; I'm wondering what makes these rented modems garbage? What actual first-hand experiances/problems can arise from using one?

And you say they probably havn't tested it, so pretty much any cable modem should work with a cable connection?

im not saying they are all garbage just that rca one is, ive never seen a person have a good expereice with a rca cable modem.

And yes pertty much any DOCSIS cable modem will work.

• 2 weeks later...

With cable internet, you will certainly get higher speeds that 1 Mbps....however, what you will actually get is hard to say.  I know a lot of people that have 3.0 Mbps access and are usually right around that speed....others never come close...it all comes down to what Swimmer said in his first post.  If you don't have Coax installed, it is pretty pricey to do, depending on how much wiring you need.  As far as your phone line condition...phone line is very cheap...and relatively easy to install...simply changing the line from your PTNI (public Telephone Network Interface) box (usually in your basement) to the actual jack you intend to use for your DSL modem would take care of their claim.  My guess is that it is BS...DSL uses the same exact wire in the line as your phone (the red one, I believe)...so if your phone works fine, so should your DSL.  There are exceptions, but if it is copper wire, I would say that is BS.  Remember, they want to avoid coming to your residence at all costs.  It sounds like you're really far out from the CO.  As for a tech though, I had a problem with my connection at my house too, and she came and installed new wire for free, and it took care of everything.  It turned out that Verizon crossed my line with another DSL subscriber's at the remote terminal, causing slow speeds.  I say work with your connection a little before doing a complete internet connection makeover.  Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...