noob trying to network

vitico66

hello:

I have dsl and is connected ith modem ZyXEL 645ME-A1, I wanted to hook up another computer & create a network , so I bought a linksys WRT54GC tried following the instruccions and just hook up modem to linksys to computer # 1 and popped in the disk but the installer keeps telling me that the linksys cant recognize the modem, I get internet ok without the linksys but i really need to find a way to make this work. perhaps there is a guide I could follow.

all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks:    V1T1CO

Hi vitico66,

It is very important to powercycle your devices properly in order to establish an IP connection between them.  Currently, it sounds like your router is not getting an IP from the modem.  Here's what to do:

• Disconnect the power supply to the router
  • Disconnect the power supply to the modem
  • Look for a reset button on the modem (ie. a pinhole).  Some models do not have this.  If yours does, activate the reset button.
  • Return power to the modem.  This is a good oportunity to ensure that the cable from the modem to the router is secure.  Wait a few minutes to ensure that the modem is completed it's cycle, and is up and running.
  • Return the power supply to the router.
  • When the lights have stabilized on the router, try to release and renew your IP.  If you are getting a 192.168.x.x IP address, then you have connection to the router.  You should then be able to log into the router diagnostic page to apply the appropriate configuration settings.

Since you know that you the connection works when you connect the PC directly to the modem, you should call the Linksys for further assistance if this does not work for you.  Good luck!

vitico66 forget the linksys install CD. just make sure the modem is pluged into the routers WAN port and the computer is pluged into the router. get into the routers control panel 192.168.1.1 and on the first page set the internet connection type to PPPoE enter your username and password and click save changes, and you should be connected and working.

There are a few more sets then just plugging and chugging.. it is dsl.. so you have to deal with PPPoE..

Before you start this.. when you are using just one computer.. do you have to login to be able to use the internet?  I think Verizon still uses PPPoE

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2210&p_created=1110937569&p_sid=*DyIH*di&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVZlcml6b24*&p_li=&p_topview=1

good morning:

before I continue I want to thank you all for your kind help, well, I was able to get on-line again last night, I went into my modem and put in my username & password, it worked, but it was getting late, so I will try again tonight to install my router by following this last guide, so, I repeat, thanks for your help and I will keep posting with my progress.

V1T1CO

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and it took a while but I learned how to set it up. My disk would not work either. It had to be set up manually. 192.168.1.1 is the right ip to talk to the router, once the log in winnow pops up admin was the default password on mine. once I was in I had to manually set all the ip, subnet etc. It takes a little time to explain the different windows you have to get to to set them. We tries the rolling encryption, but if you turn off your computer or have a power bump you get locked out and have to start over again. We settled on using the MAC and filtering to allow access but just those numbers

welcome to the forum dduteil

I never looked at what was on that cd.. my guess is that it was entended to be used on an ethernet connection as changing setting require the wifi and router to reboot.  The web gui is how I have always done the setup of my equipment. 

hi guys :

its been a couple of days of trying , getting nowhere , Im very grateful for all the help, it's funny, I build my own computers, o/c them , tweak them , etc, but when it comes to setting up a router I'm all thumbs,  :angry5:

oh well, I guess I'll pay to transfer the headache, but I wanted to thank all you fellows for trying to help.

good luck & Godspeed:

V1T1CO

hi guys :

its been a couple of days of trying , getting nowhere , Im very grateful for all the help, it's funny, I build my own computers, o/c them , tweak them , etc, but when it comes to setting up a router I'm all thumbs,  :angry5:

oh well, I guess I'll pay to transfer the headache, but I wanted to thank all you fellows for trying to help.

good luck & Godspeed:

V1T1CO

Good luck man, sorry we couldnt get it solved. :(

• 1 month later...

if your modem and router both have the same IP address, that IS a problem.  I have the same linksys router (although I dont use it), and its IP address is not changable...perhaps your modem's IP can be changed.  Having two of the same IP address on the same network is a big no-no....try playing around with that!

-Rob