The cost of advancement, and is it worth it?

water

Daiquirii ;I' ve seen all of Monty Python's movies I think.I like the seen where the knight gets his arms cut off & still wants to fight.It has been several years since I watched one though.I do like some Brit shows like "Keeping Up Appearrances" ,"Good Neighbors" Roco another member who is a Brit said in England it was called "The Good Life" & I've been a Dr.Who fan for a long time I think the best one was Tom Baker.

I think all people have the potential of being of cosmic importence.So we differ in philosophy there.Not so much as the mortal beings we are now but as the spirit beings we can become.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, I believe it is pure statistics ^_^. I stated in my post that I was going to go watch the movie. About ten minutes from my edit I started to watch(time to get movie, put it in the notebook, and get comfy) I would consider that normal.That gives 20 minutes from when I started to watch to when you posted. Assuming that I watched the movie strait through including the opening credits, it is very probable that You could pinpoint accuratly my position in the movie :bs: I bet that you know at this moment that the Knights who say nee are demanding shrubbery on the screen. lol  :D

I like your logic but the truth is it's been a long time since I watched the movie.So  I had no idea when the scene was in the movie.Call it plain coincidence then or just a lucky guess.  :D

hence the little  :bs: in the middle of the post. I could have got more into some :bs: statistical nonsense, but it is too late and my attention is split between the movie and the board. I accepted the pure coincidence of it all from the start, and was just playing with the different philosophy thing you mentioned earlier (the part of me not paying attention to the movie has nothing better to do) 

Lol, I just noticed I'm a junior member now... wow, I'm observant(not)

Remember the Puerto Rico one shug?

That had me wondering, and right after the Islam one. I barely got to catch my breath before it got started.

*wipes the sweat from his brow just thinking about those*

And then the upside down US flag.

And then the worst president.

Starting to lose count.

Guess we are great debaters after. Sportsman like also. (99% of the time)  :rolleyes:

Yea that was a barage of threads. :haha: I usually say my peace and leave, but keep an eye out to make sure it stays under control. Really it is silly to debate these things because no matter what I say I will not change your mind and you probably wont change mine. All you can do is post your opinion. :)

I believe God has always existed & had no beginning.The exact method He used to create the physical universe is just theory on our part.

I'm with you, Cholla. The word the person next to you chooses to use for what you call "God" may be different, due to whatever conditioning their own life brought them through, but the idea of God is universal and innate in human understanding. I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing with 100% certainty. But I do have to make certain assumptions in order to develop a reasonable understanding of this world, that I may make practical predictions and decisions based on what I experience. I think the subject of the Dawn of Creation is quite interesting, because everybody has formed an opinion on it. Why? Because we need to. Nobody can possibly know the answer to this age-old question, but we all have our own ideas, so that we are able to form an understanding of the world we live in, so that we can simply go about our lives. And every one of our opinions on this matter include the involvement of something far greater than ourselves. This vaguely definable precence must surely be God.

I hate to give the short answer on this but I have to go soon.

People in our industrial civilization have been forced to become too busy.They could slow down have less materially but most won't.

Hi Cholla sorry to abbreviate you post, I came to that conclusion some 20 years back, I woke up on a wet Wednesday in some strange hotel, I hadn't been home for 3 weeks  (Commissioning engineer ) and thought  WTF am I doing with my life, so I just walked away , gave back the company car ,

kissed my career goodbye , traded down  the house, kicked the TV into the trash can , took a year off working,  renewed old friendships, 

No Regrets for me , 20 years on  :thumbsup:

Roco UK

Now that is a interesting, story Roco. Not many people would have the guts to get out of their routine.  :thumbsup:

A quick story.

I bought a new truck, everybody says what a shiny new truck. You must be making some good money to do that. 8 years and 130,000 miles later people are saying, why do you drive an old truck, you need a new one!

So I bought a new  and different one, 4X4 1/2 ton instead of a 3/4 ton 2X. Again people say "what a shiny new truck. You must be making some good money to do that", aren't people funny.  :laughing7:

Now that is a interesting, story Roco. Not many people would have the guts to get out of their routine.  :thumbsup:

A quick story.

I bought a new truck, everybody says what a shiny new truck. You must be making some good money to do that. 8 years and 130,000 miles later people are saying, why do you drive an old truck, you need a new one!

So I bought a new  and different one, 4X4 1/2 ton instead of a 3/4 ton 2X. Again people say "what a shiny new truck. You must be making some good money to do that", aren't people funny.  :laughing7:

Hi Tommie , It was something I just knew I had to do, no guts involved I ain't that brave, , i just looked up the promotion ladder at the guys in those positions above

,they talked, ate,and slept the job, and were dead inside, I just knew it wasn't for me,

great story about the truck , yeah people are strange, I get the same about my old 2cv, My accountant said, buy a new car , "why I am happy enough with this one"

But you must want a new car !    MUST ? :whaa:

Hi Tommie , It was something I just knew I had to do, no guts involved I ain't that brave, , i just looked up the promotion ladder at the guys in those positions above

,they talked, ate,and slept the job, and were dead inside, I just knew it wasn't for me,

great story about the truck , yeah people are strange, I get the same about my old 2cv, My accountant said, buy a new car , "why I am happy enough with this one"

But you must want a new car !  MUST ? :whaa:

I think the keyword there is "want". Want versus need is what's driving our society to be where we are...

I think the keyword there is "want". Want versus need is what's driving our society to be where we are...

sorry Water I beg to disagree , I think must, is the key word , because you cannot want something that you don't know exists, Advertising is the real key here ,

a powerfull tool , the kids must have expensive trainers , to lay on the sofa and flick the TV channel changer ,  middle aged men with enormous beer bellies must have  a football T shirt 2 sizes too small  :lol:

advertising also tells us we deserve it ,  :lol: I think they got that bit right anyway

sorry Water I beg to disagree , I think must, is the key word , because you cannot want something that you don't know exists, Advertising is the real key here ,

a powerfull tool , the kids must have expensive trainers , to lay on the sofa and flick the TV channel changer ,  middle aged men with enormous beer bellies must have  a football T shirt 2 sizes too small  :lol:

advertising also tells us we deserve it ,  :lol: I think they got that bit right anyway

I'm going to disagree with you here, advertising does not determine what we will do, it presents options...

We are the sole definers of our existance, not some radio or tv ad. We chose to do what we do...

I'm going to disagree with you here, advertising does not determine what we will do, it presents options...

We are the sole definers of our existance, not some radio or tv ad. We chose to do what we do...

lets agree to disagree on this , if advertising gives options , why do 90% of the UK

vacuum cleaners buyers still call them Hoovers , I have no objection to advertising per se

but it is the must have that disturbs me, we had a successful car add. that started by saying "make your neighbors jealous "  :lol: it was a crap car

Regards Roco UK

I see we got onto the meaning of life earlier in the thread, I have been giving this a thought, well IMHO, no it isn't 42 , it can only be the meaning you put into it ,

whatever you choose that to be, is for you alone to decide,

I have to agree with Roco on this one water. The want would not be there except in part to peer pressure,

Why do we even need electronics? Advertising peer pressure. Why do we want anything in the first place? Advertising says so. Why do we on average only own a home 5 years? Or a car for 2 years. The old one would have lasted quite a bit longer for much less. When you buy something new and shiny like the ad suggest's doesn't everybody ooh and aw how nice it looks. Why do women think they need to change their whole body hair tips to toe nails? Advertising says so, it is in every commercial and add and magazine you see. So to be glamorous as they advertise it becomes a want and necesity. People used to just want to buy a house and pay it off and retire. Where do that all go? Advertising.  :thumbsup:

Just some thoughts.

lets agree to disagree on this , if advertising gives options , why do 90% of the UK

vacuum cleaners buyers still call them Hoovers , I have no objection to advertising per se

but it is the must have that disturbs me, we had a successful car add. that started by saying "make your neighbors jealous "  :lol: it was a crap car

Regards Roco UK

Kleenex? What is wrong with the softer Puffs. Why did many people smoke? Adverising! Why did many people drink, same thing. Why are sports athletes, movie stars, etc.. so damned rich? How do you promote something. Advertising.

What is the keyword in advertising, make it a household name. How did Coca, McDonalds, and the rest get that way? Come on there are much better burgers down the road. Why do kids scream until they get their way? "WE WANT TO GO TO MC DONALDS ! !" We want a happy meal. They sell toys, not good food. And at a very speedy rate.

Do you realize that people would save $$ by driving the same old car, but they prefer to trade it in for gas mileage. (Now think about that one for a minute) Do they save the $400+ car payment on fuel savings? Or is it advertising? "Shiny new and better on gas", but repairs just went up and so did the insurance.

Why do they advertise upside down in your car payments? You are upside down the second you sign the papers to buy it in the first place. And will stay there until you pay enough to pass the value in your payments. Pay the damned thing off. Then there is no upside down! And enjoy driving it for the same amount of time for free.  ;)

My neighbor said he always wanted to own a classic pickup, and he also said one day he looked in the driveway, and noticed that he had owned it since 1985 (21 years). Very low mileage by the way. Aren't people funny.  :laughing7:

• 1 month later...

Here is a follow up from page 1. Apparently I am not only a fat smelly male, but I'm also a wanted fugitive criminal! I think it's that or he likes me and wants to continue our relationship:

nosferatu_creator: I'll give you 5 days to remove those blogs

waterrtbh: excuse me?

waterrtbh: remove what blogs?

nosferatu_creator: yes

waterrtbh: what blogs?

nosferatu_creator: the stateofmind71 ones

waterrtbh: where?

nosferatu_creator: www.secondshifters.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4129 - 69k -

nosferatu_creator: www.secondshifters.com/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=2&t=4129 - 15k -

waterrtbh: why would I remove that? It's the actual conversation we had where you wreharrassing me

nosferatu_creator: well

nosferatu_creator: you're inciting harassment

nosferatu_creator: over 100 messages

waterrtbh: nope - i'm posting public knowledge

nosferatu_creator: all vulgar

waterrtbh: not my issue

nosferatu_creator: 30% of which incited you as the cause of them messaging me

nosferatu_creator: you can say what you like

waterrtbh: I asked no one to do anything

waterrtbh: I posted public knowledge, where it went from there is not my problem

nosferatu_creator: what you cant do is tell people to openly harass me

nosferatu_creator: i beg to differ

nosferatu_creator: Its in the hands of my lawyer anyway

nosferatu_creator: I wa sasked to ask you to remove it

waterrtbh: I asked you once not to message me anymore. I stick to that.

nosferatu_creator: and give you 5 days

waterrtbh: Do not message me

He has a new sign on now..... hmmm....