The Car Thread

amc11890

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amc11890;The mods will probably move this to off topic sooner or later.But I will let some other mod do it being a car guy myself.

I have never owned a Japanese car & don't plan too.I hold their actions in WW2 against them

& always will.Unfortunatly I'm forced to buy some electronics from them  but I try to buy as little Japanese products as possible.

My dad was in the Pacific on an oil tanker in WW2.As a matter of fact 3 different ones 2 were sank & he spent time in the ocean until rescued.So the Japanese might have caused me not to have been born.My dad also died fairly young at 54 some of this could have shortened his life.Then our own country in their stupidity let sailors from his ship walk around in Hiroshima 3 weeks after the bombing.

So be American & buy American if you can.I have owned a couple of English sports cars.But they were & are our allies.

To stay partly on topic heres a car pic .My uncle has one.1959 Ford Galaxy with retractable hard top. Very rare.

My uncle is a classic Ford collector Although that's not a pic of his .His is the same two tone colors as the one in the pic.He also has a 55 T-bird.,56 Crown Victoria,48 or 49 Mercury& a 34 or 38 Ford.Last time I talked to him he was working on getting a Ford Sunliner but I don't know if he got it or not.

My uncle is a classic Ford collector Although that's not a pic of his .His is the same two tone colors as the one in the pic.He also has a 55 T-bird.,56 Crown Victoria,48 or 49 Mercury& a 34 or 38 Ford.Last time I talked to him he was working on getting a Ford Sunliner but I don't know if he got it or not.

he has a very nice car collection.  :D

amc11890;The mods will probably move this to off topic sooner or later.But I will let some other mod do it being a car guy myself.

I have never owned a Japanese car & don't plan too.I hold their actions in WW2 against them

& always will.Unfortunatly I'm forced to buy some electronics from them  but I try to buy as little Japanese products as possible.

My dad was in the Pacific on an oil tanker in WW2.As a matter of fact 3 different ones 2 were sank & he spent time in the ocean until rescued.So the Japanese might have caused me not to have been born.My dad also died fairly young at 54 some of this could have shortened his life.Then our own country in their stupidity let sailors from his ship walk around in Hiroshima 3 weeks after the bombing.

So be American & buy American if you can.I have owned a couple of English sports cars.But they were & are our allies.

To stay partly on topic heres a car pic .My uncle has one.1959 Ford Galaxy with retractable hard top. Very rare.

wow those are rare. as far as cars go i usually favor the fords or chevys over the nissans or houndas but i really cant say that i wouldnt buy a jap car but i understand why you wouldnt want to buy a jap car.  as far as electronics go you pretty much have to get japenese products.  the galaxy is sweet tho,  and is prob worth quite a bit.

I really like the look of the 1st gen camaros(1st pipc)

The second pic is basically wat my dads old buick gsx looked like, those had 455's 

Speaking of cars: has anyone ever heard of "pinks" its a show that is played on speed(tv channel)  Basically two cars race against each other on 1/4 mile races or 1/8 races and whoever wins 3/5 of the races gets the other persons car.

Speaking of cars: has anyone ever heard of "pinks" its a show that is played on speed(tv channel)  Basically two cars race against each other on 1/4 mile races or 1/8 races and whoever wins 3/5 of the races gets the other persons car.

yea ive hered of it, it was good, till i found out that it was fake.

I'm not sure Sunliner is always the correct description for the car my uncle was working on adding to his collection.Some Sunliners are convertables .So I got some pics of the type he was looking for & found one he was negotiating for.He restores his to origonal as possible.

A lot of them have the Ford 292 or 312 not Fords best engine IMO but the original for a lot of 50's Fords.

Oh K, I guess I should get started.

I think I will start with the 1970 Boss 429. Everybody pretty much knows about it. And then the engine.

BOSS 429 c.i. @ 375 h.p. w/10.5:1 compression with four barrel carburator.

And then how about rolling with an original 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. And a special spec tag off of one of them.

476 lbs./ft. @ 3,400 RPM (4V)

480 lbs./ft. @ 3,700 RPM (8V)

410 BHP @5,600 RPM (4V)

425 BHP @6,000 RPM (8V)

And since FORD seen best to only have the 427 SOHC be an over the counter item it will only be the engine.

515 lbs./ft. @ 3,800 RPM (4V)

575 lbs./ft. @ 4,200 RPM (8V)

616 BHP @ 7,000 RPM (4V)

657 BHP @ 7,500 RPM (8V)

Probably the baddest engine built in a long time to come. And remember that was in 1964-68, almost 40 years ago.

And also a shot of the complicated camshaft drive train. It took a 7' camshaft chain.

And since FORD seen best to only have the 427 SOHC be an over the counter item it will only be the engine.

515 lbs./ft. @ 3,800 RPM (4V)

575 lbs./ft. @ 4,200 RPM (8V)

616 BHP @ 7,000 RPM (4V)

657 BHP @ 7,500 RPM (8V)

Probably the baddest engine built in a long time to come. And remember that was in 1964-68, almost 40 years ago.

And also a shot of the complicated camshaft drive train. It took a 7' camshaft chain.

That is one bad ass motor, i know a guy who just put one in a 67 GT500 he is building. and it has crazy power

tommie do you know the total number of the 427 SOHC produced.I thought you might have it in your facts somewhere.I was wondering if there were enough to show how that 7' timing chain did as far as longjevity.I bet it was a bitch to replace.Kind of like open heart surgery on the engine.

How about this conversation "Hello AutoZone do you have a timing chain for a 427 SOHC.

Their reply "What model car is it in ?"

your reply "It didn't come stock in any car.It was an over the counter engine."

long silence

Their reply"I'm sorry sir we don't have it."

I wonder if the Ford dealer parts counter would be much better.  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

From a mechanic stand point I would call the chain bad engineering.If they had made the motor longer I think they would have designed a twin chain system.

I would love to run the motor though.

There was a solution for that chain idea cholla.

SOHC for sale on eBay October 2000, with rare Gilmer cam drive. Don't wear a tie when checking timing...

http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/v8sohc427.html

That looks cheaper and simpler. And you would not have to have oil going to the chain that way. I'll have to dig pretty hard to get any production numbers for it though cholla.

tommie;Thanks for the effort & this would be much easier to change.I would still favor 2 shorter chains myself .Dual gear on the crank & one chian to each OHC.The shorter chains having less potential for jumping a notch.If a 7' chain jumped a notch it might take a run on the dyno to tell considering the amount of HP this engine has.Same with the belt.& having driven a Ford OHC 4-cyl a lot of miles I like the gilmor belt for OHC.but even here I would opt for dual ones.

IMO they really never thought many of them would be used on the street & pro racers would probably change the chain often just to prevent problems.

Same reason the gilmor belts don't have dust covers like they would need for the street.

I would still like to be behind the wheel of a car with one of these engines.