The Car Thread

amc11890

hi Reso, your right it was a 2ton, 1.9ltr 4 cylinder petrol  148bhp +auto box  :whaa:

I kid you not , a Renault Kangoo van loaded with tools and  ladders on the rack,

left me for dead at the lights , there I was in the overtaking lane watching the van disapear up the road  :twisted:

Hi Tommie , Mini SUV  known as Chelsea Tractors around here, :lol: the only time they go off road is when the park on the pavement outside the wine shop, BTW, you can buy cans of artificial spray on mud, so it can make the suv look like it has been on a adventure  :haha:

the one thing that is king on the UK roads ,has got to be light and fast acelerating, and this Honda certainly wasn't , and for it's off road capabilities, nah, I would not even think of it, the first bit of soft ground it would sink to it's axles and not have the grunt to climb out,  IMHO 

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suv's with a dry weight of close to 2 tons need a little grunt under the hood. the only way to get that without outrageous fuel consumption is with a diesel. my ford explorer weighs 2 tons (metric) at the curb and gets 15 to 16 mpg. in europe that would be unpayable. and yet the 4 liter v6 with its 210 horses is only adequate. the 4.6 liter v8 is probably a little better but has even worse mileage.

Now that is my point exactly!!

I drive a 2002 F150, 4.6L, auto, 4X4, long bed 8', Supercab. 17.5 mpg.

You can have your 1/2 pint vehicles. And which will need worked on first, not my full sized truck!

my parents navigator gets 12mpg and that has a 5.4 litre v8.  :roll: but my dad mountaneer gets 18mpg and it is a v6(pretty bad for a v6) Has gas been low is ur area ?around here if u look hard enough u can get it for 2.09 (for reg unleaded)

2.09 thats really cheap, i paid 2.34 today for regular

For some reason I think the 5.4 is a little harder on fuel than the 4.6, more than just the size of the engine. If I am not mistaken the Navigator is built on the F150 frame. And if I am not also mistaken the Mountaineer is also built on the Explorer frame. And a friend of mine had a 6 in his explorer 4X4 pickup. And only got 1 mpg more than my full sized pu with the V-8.

And yes fuel has dropped down to $1.93 here in KC MO.  :D

well roco, that kangoo has what, a 1.8 4cyl? and it weighs what, about 800 kg soaking wet? fine, load it up and all and it will weigh 1300 kg or so. still reaching at best the maximum load on one of the suv's axles.

i am very glad to see the mercedes sprinter (relabeled by dodge as the dodge sprinter for the US) more and more here. people are catching on that that things 5 cyl diesel is plenty to haul it around at a good clip and the fuel economy versus a v8 powered us van...

even saw ambulances and one in fedex livery.

For some reason I think the 5.4 is a little harder on fuel than the 4.6, more than just the size of the engine. If I am not mistaken the Navigator is built on the F150 frame. And if I am not also mistaken the Mountaineer is also built on the Explorer frame. And a friend of mine had a 6 in his explorer 4X4 pickup. And only got 1 mpg more than my full sized pu with the V-8.

And yes fuel has dropped down to $1.93 here in KC MO.  :D

my mom had the same thing, going from the v6 explorer to the v8 explorer, there wasent really a difference in gas mileage

And yes fuel has dropped down to $1.93 here in KC MO.  :D

Me & dlewis23  both live in Texas & I paid $2.14 a gallon last I bought.tommie's gas probably was refined in Texas so strange how KC MO pays less than us.I have seen this on many occasions where out of state gas is cheaper.

My pickup which I only use when I need a pickup is a 1981 Ford Lariat Supercab with a 351 cid engine .It gets around 16mpg highway.

I abused my engines more back then it just didn't hold up to that.One of my favorite Ford engines is the 300cid strait 6 cyl.The FI one really runs well.I was impress with the way the held up in a small city bus fleet when I worked for the city on their busses.The busses were carbed also.

Yep, was never really impressed with the 360's either. Had one myself. It was merely OK.

Oh LOL , is that 5.9 ltrs =360 cubic inches, unless my calculations are wrong my 2cv is 37 cubic inches :haha: I think we live in different worlds  :shock: I think you guys have a weight problem  ;) same as that Honda mini suv I drove ,  :haha:

BTW petrol has fallen to only $6.99 a UK gallon,  :angry5: 

Me & dlewis23  both live in Texas & I paid $2.14 a gallon last I bought.tommie's gas probably was refined in Texas so strange how KC MO pays less than us.I have seen this on many occasions where out of state gas is cheaper.

My pickup which I only use when I need a pickup is a 1981 Ford Lariat Supercab with a 351 cid engine .It gets around 16mpg highway.

yah gas here in north texas i fulled up with 1.96 a gallon

yah gas here in north texas i fulled up with 1.96 a gallon

justinlay ;I bet you mean North East Texas.I live in North West Texas probably a 150 miles North of Dallas& a good 150 west.& even I can go about another 90 miles North before I cross the real north border of Texas.I'm just giving you a hard time because us Panhandle dwellers consider where we live North Texas.

Roco ;The biggest car engine I have had in a car I owned was a 455 cid in a 1975 Buick Electra .It would get around 18 mpg highway but in town about 11 mpg.Still a wonderful heavy luxury car.

tommie;I've overhauled & test drove  a Cadillac 500 but it wasn't my car.I don't think it was a 400HP though.My 455 Buick was only 195HP if I remember correctly.But 195HP in a 455 feels different than 195HP in a 302.

The  Cadillac 500  I'm sure would be the biggest American production car engine.

• 2 weeks later...

That was according to Chilton's on the El Dorado.

Shove that in a Vega.  :twisted:OR better yet, a 2cv. But knowing Roco's luck, everytime he stepped on the gas the little thing would flip over from the torque alone. 

:haha::haha::haha:

:lol: :lol: Reckon you could be right there TommieLOL,

Well after my short time with the Honda  CR-V, auto, I hate auto boxes,  :roll: still not very common in the UK,

I came up to the first intersection and left footed the brake thinking (or not Thinking ) it was the clutch pedal  :shock: and same for the guy behind me   :angry5:

next week I will be piloting a Chrysler C300 t , another auto box  :cry:

it looks longer than a bus , and looks pig ugly to me, it will never fit in a UK parking bay ! I guess it will be sunglasses time again , and turn up the coat collar  :lol:, why is it I never get to drive a nice Lotus, Mazda mx, I do love that feeling of the ass scrapping the road , and the scenery going past in a blur ,

apart from the times I dropped a M/c , ouch ,  :lol:

today, on the M25 (londons 8 lane in parts freeway ) I saw the most amazing sight , about 500 mtrs ahead of me  coming the other way , and seperated from me by a 4foot high concrete wall , a big Artic+trailer loaded with steel , Flipped over in slow motion , it went like a dying  dinosour  slidding on its side in a cloud of smoke , dust , and debrie, guess he was doing about 65 mph at the time, just hope the driver was OK , it slewed round and blocked all the lanes on his side , nobody else seemed to be involved, the road was still closed 4 hours later, and the tail back was 6 miles long, so some drivers in that would have been there for 5hours +, it caused mahem on my side as some drivers panic braked , 4 hours later they were getting 2 cranes into position , it was a strangely sad sight to see the monster lying still on it's side ,

same sort of feeling as  watching a ship sink, I think it was the slow motion flip , that suprized me most ,

be lucky

Roco 

I didn't see how this happened but I came up on a semi tractor.That had lost both drive axles.They wre sitting on one side of the highway & the truck was in one of the lanes.The police were already there so I just went on.

On the butt close to the ground That's one of the things I love about my brothers TR3.You even have to make sure you don't just hang you arm out over the door on you will be draging your knuckles on the pavement.

:lol:, in my late teens I was a mech. to a Kart racer ,

he was racing at Brands hatch , and I got to have a drive around the circuit ,disguised as him , truly awesome experiance, only did about 70 MPH on the straights , but it felt like twice that ,

The days of low slung sports cars a nearly over in the UK,

we have gone crazy installing speed reducing humps in all but the A roads (A roads= main through routes )   

My   Mini Cooper (lowered ) would not have gone over them ,

I followed a old Porche a while back , he had had to use the  the pavement to get round  them  :angry5:, and one of my reasons for keeping the 2CV, it takes speed humps in it's stride at 50mph  :lol:

the latest is speed limits of 20 mph on some A roads , got one near me + a speed camera  :angry5: , soon it will be quicker to walk  :lol:

which I think is the secret agenda that is going on in the UK

Yeah those Chrysler 300's are long like a bus. Myself, I don't mind a manual shift. But it does get old after a few years. I do prefer one in a truck or sports car.

Glad no one got hurt in the accident.

I was wee small the times I was in a MG or Austin Healy. But I do remember the low to the groundness of them.

Yeah those Chrysler 300's are long like a bus. Myself, I don't mind a manual shift. But it does get old after a few years. I do prefer one in a truck or sports car.

Glad no one got hurt in the accident.

I was wee small the times I was in a MG or Austin Healy. But I do remember the low to the groundness of them.

i dont mind a manual eather but i would prefer a auto, after having a manual for so long now, it just got old.