Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nuklehed

Finally, my speeds are getting closer to 6Mb.

Recommended Posts

I have been sweating this for two days. My Comcast speeds were dwindling for my 6Mb/768Kbps account. I knew they were faster in the past, but I couldn't acheive a score higher than 4300Kbps. I called Comcast and they were very helpful, "We'll send a tech out to test the line." Whatever, I knew modem had a connection well within reasonable range:

Downstream  Value

Frequency 723000000 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB

Power Level -3 dBmV

Upstream  Value

Channel ID 2

Frequency 31000000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 48 dBmV

I tried VanBuren's settings based on some forums I read here using a 6000/768 setting with CableNut, but I wasn't seeing good results. It could be that I was using the tool incorrectly, and after I tell you what worked please tell me what I did wrong ;) Then I tried TCPOptimizer again, but instead of clicking Optimal and then Saving my results (like I had done before) I checked the Modify All Network Adapters checkbox below the network device dropdown that displayed my Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter. Then I checked Optimal settings and saved. TCPOptimizer prompted me to reboot for the changes to take effect. After that I came right here to testmy.com to test. I was quite happy:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 5185 Kbps about 5.19 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 633 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/08/05 - 9:18am

Bottom Line:: 90X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.62 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.453 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 96.39 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4H0FK6CAI

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2) [!]

It's still not 6Mb, but I have had a few tests that scored in the 98-99% of my host's average speed. My pre-optimization speeds were in the 3700-4200Kbps range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually had the same speeds with that plan myself, ranging between 4300 kbps and 4800 kbps.  I'd call every day trying to get it figured out, and had service call after service call.  After 5 service calls and 6 different technicians (2 on 1 visit) I was still at the same speeds.  On the 6th service call the tech came out and replaced my COAX and my modem and my speeds jumped up considerably.  They hooked me up with the SurfBoard 5120 and got 10,000 kbps up to the neighborhood of 13,000 so far and I am still on the same plan.  My upload still sucks...lingers in the neighborhood of 358.  The modem that I did have was the SurfBoard 3100, old gaudy white one that I had for 2 years and never really had connectivity issues with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...