Help with my RWIN

mrproper

Well, cholla, I have decidedto change the rwin value. Tell me if it's correct ot should I choose another one. As you can see in the image I attach, I wonder how is posssible that so different values can work well. 513920 is the highest value and 54240 is the lowest. If as reading in many web pages this value is so important, how can TPP-IP analizer suggest values so different?

Vanburen, I am going to read you link about latency and I tell you something in the next post.

MrProper :-P

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

calculating latency is very hard, it wont be very accurate. So the best way is to test diffrent values..

this is a old guide how to calculate http://www.luwigie.com/tweaks/FAQxp2000.pdf

VanBuren :)

I have already read the content of the link and I have a problem. You say I must download two large files (you give some good links) and aftewards I must do a ping (or a tracert to my ISP).

If I do a "tracert www.ya.com" (ya.com is my ISP) even without downloading any file, I get all the packets lost in node number 6 (see attached file). It doesn't happen with another pages (dslnuts.com, testmy.net, etc.)

What is happening? Is it my fault or is it the fault of my ISP? Perhaps it is something at this time, and it can work in 30 minutes?

Against which server can I do the test instead of ya.com? Must I do it with a spanish server or with a foreign one? or must I do it against ya.com?

MrProper

Uys, cholla, I think I wasn't doing well the things. I attach you new files (Cablenut and TCPOptimizer) obtanied through the web page http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php (download=9000 kbps, upload=512 kbps, latency=220).

I haven't made any change in the attached screens.

"For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.

Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

64240 (MSS x 44)"

Where do I change RWIN in Cablenut? I suppose in "DefaultReceiveWindow" field because in dslreports.com suggests me to change RWIN, that is Receive Window (RWIN)=921600 and it's exactly the value of "DefaultReceiveWindow" in Cablenut.

mrproper ;;I think we should do it this way if I'm going to help.I went to the speedguide.net site & read some on the TCP Optimizer.I think it iss a good program & I will put some links to the site for you to learn more about it.This way you can use it to determine latency.

You misunderstood how I wanted you to get an average latency.I think properly used the TCP Optimizer will help you find the latency.

To cover the way I suggested again ping not tracert 10 different sites not Google 10 times then average the latency.

First we will try to get you back to the settings you had before you installed the TCP Optimizer .Then we will do the same with cablenut.From there we will use cablenut to display those settings.Once there we will see if we can tweak again.Leave the changes you made to your router .

& if you can I think we need to know the distance you are from the CO(Central Office),telephone company terminal,loop what ever you call it.Either the telephone company or your ISP should be able to tell you this.

I think you need to call your ISP & ask what speed you should expect not the maximum .This might help determine the correct settings because you have never tested here anyway at 9000kbps.or even close .

So do this first:

How do I revert my settings to a previous state ?

To revert any changes made to your system using the TCP Optimizer, go in its "File" pull-down menu and choose "Restore Windows Default Settings", or even "Restore backed up settings".

TCP Optimizer version 2 (and later) makes an automatic backup of the settings it changes the first time you run it. It creates a file of this form "sg_backup_2005-05-11-0903.spg" in the same directory where the program resides.

Then you need to restart your computer so the settings will change in the registry.

Once this is done we will do the same with cablenut.

This is not an uninstall but going back to your previous settings.

Well, cholla, I have phoned my ISP and they have told me:

* Advertised speed: up to 20 Mb

* Guaranteed speed: 50% of router speed

That is to say, they only guarantee 9000 Mb (my router speed) / 2 = 4,5 Mb. They have just installed me the new ADSL2+ and the router speed will be growing, but this is what we have now.

* Distance to central: they didn't know !! I have searched in internet, and I have calculated between 1,5 and 1,8 kilometers.

On the other hand, they have given me a new firmware for my router (the latest, june 2006). I have upgraded the router and they have given my all the parameters. Everything is more or less the same, but they haven't changed the router MTU (now it is 1492), but I think we'll have to change it.

Anyway, I am going to attach some files with the original configurations and some screens with the router configuration, with which we are going to work.

Than you, friend. I hope not to dirturb you very much

MrProper  ;)

mrproper;I have been reading some on the ADSL & for it the MTU should be 1500.So You should change that in your router.While there unless you know you need it disable "Universal Plug & Play"

If you are between 1 & 2  kilometers then ADSL should work fine.

Did you restore your original settings with the TCP Optimizer as I suggested?

I also noticed That your CableNut was a lot different.Did you already "delete the CableNut tweaks" in it?

mrproper;I have been reading some on the ADSL & for it the MTU should be 1500.So You should change that in your router.While there unless you know you need it disable "Universal Plug & Play"

If you are between 1 & 2  kilometers then ADSL should work fine.

Did you restore your original settings with the TCP Optimizer as I suggested?

I also noticed That your CableNut was a lot different.Did you already "delete the CableNut tweaks" in it?

Bad news... New firmware router doesn' allow a MTU > 1492, that is to say this is the maximum now. I am going to search in www.3com some documentation about it in case we prefer previous version. Previous version was ready for ADSL2+. I don't know about the new one but my ISP assured me that it was supprted too...

I need "Universal Plug&Play" because I use Azureus as client bittorrent.

I am not able to restore original values for the registry in cablenut and TCPOptimer because I have made a lot of changes. Before consulting you and dlewis23, and afterwards Vanburen, I had already made a lot of changes. Moreover they had installed me the new connection (PPPoA) a few (one or two) days ago. What I mean is that the original configuration was made on my own...

We can start working with the current values or with a .css file you think that suits me. But first of all we have to know which firmware is better: the new or the old one.

Well, I have been investigating. My router is named "3Com OfficeConnect ADSL 11g Firewall Router", but there are basically 3 models:

3CRWDR100A-72 (model sold in Spain)

3CRWDR100U-72 (model sold in Usa/Canada).

3CRWDR100Y-72 (model given by ya.com - my ISP - when you do a contract with them) --> so, I have this one.

You can see the different firmwares in "http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=6&sort=effdt&sku=3CRWDR100A-72&order=desc".

This model had an old firmware, so I upgraded to version 2.06 (3CRWDR100A-72_10Oct2005.exe), that is to say, I think I upgraded firmware to a new version but as if my model of router was one sold in Spain (I didn't phone to my ISP to upgrade). I think there isn'ty any difference between model A and Y, except for ya.com has bought all the routers in another country (I don't know... but routers are made by many countries and many times it's cheaper to buy in a foreign country). Anyway, I think you can upgrade freely to any model (they will not be very different, I suppose).

This afternoon I phoned to my ISP and they gave the new upgrade (there must be a little different than USA version).

Well, I don't know much more. That is what I have achieved.

mrproper ;I haven't given up on helping you.I don't understand why the two programs won't restore the registry to where it was when you installed then.I thought CableNut was supposed to do this well.That being said we will go with it the way it is now.

I really don't know much about ADSL2+ but I did some reading on it.What I found is it doesn't use the additional 8 bytes the regular DSL does.The extra 8 bytes is why regular DSL uses 1492 for its MTU.

ADSL2+ doesn't use the extra 8 bytes so its MTU should be 1500.So you need to see if you can get it there.

I need to know that to figure several of the Cablenut settings.If you can't get your router to use the 1500 then the calculations need to be made with 1492.

We can work with these 2;

These two below should be based on AFD parameters

DefaultReceiveWindow

DefaultSendWindow

This is going to take a lot of testing & restarting on your part as we will try to start low & work up until you start seeing a consistent speed drop. The AFD settings are based on multiples of 4096 bytes.

So do this:

DefaultReceiveWindow =8192

DefaultSendWindow=8192

If you think you want to speed up the process you can test by using larger multiples lik 4 X 4096 or 8 X 4096 & so on. it must always be a multiple of 2.

There is one other CableNut setting (which are really registry settings) that may cause problems with ADSL2+.

EnablePMTUDiscovery        1 is on  & 0 is off 

Try it off.

I can't do much we these until you are sure of the MTU you will be using.

These two should below be multiples of MSS

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize

TcpWindowSize

These are based on MTU minus 40 basically the MSS. The minus 40 comes from subtracting this 20-byte TCP and 20-byte IP headers which are part of the datagram.

TcpRecvSegmentSize       

TcpSendSegmentSize

I think the new thinking is

DefaultTOSValue set to 0 like you now have it .

You might also try increasing this DefaultTTL to 128.

After any changes to CableNut you need to restart your computer for the cahnges to go into the registry.

This is a link to a .pdf users guide for your modem if you need it.

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/wireless/3CRWDR100/DUA100A-72AAA02.pdf

mrproper ;I haven't given up on helping you.I don't understand why the two programs won't restore the registry to where it was when you installed then.I thought CableNut was supposed to do this well.That being said we will go with it the way it is now.

I really don't know much about ADSL2+ but I did some reading on it.What I found is it doesn't use the additional 8 bytes the regular DSL does.The extra 8 bytes is why regular DSL uses 1492 for its MTU.

ADSL2+ doesn't use the extra 8 bytes so its MTU should be 1500.So you need to see if you can get it there.

I need to know that to figure several of the Cablenut settings.If you can't get your router to use the 1500 then the calculations need to be made with 1492.

hmm i didnt know ADSL2+ did not use the extra 8 bytes. you shouldnt have a problem getting your router to use 1500 for a mtu, i think they all let you set that manualy.

dlewis23 ;I did a little reading on this yesterday .I will see if I can find a link .on the ADSL2+.

That does assume the link information was accurate.I think respalrabotnick has ADSL so maybe I need to ask him (.I hope I spelled  respalrabotnick correctly.)

hay mrproper what modem do you use, and do you have the newest firmware for it?

dlewis23 ;I did a little reading on this yesterday .I will see if I can find a link .on the ADSL2+.

That does assume the link information was accurate.I think respalrabotnick has ADSL so maybe I need to ask him (.I hope I spelled  respalrabotnick correctly.)

yea that would be nice if you could find that, id like to read through it. thanks in advance

Well, Cholla, I have ugraded my router firmware again (really downgraded). I restored to a previos firmware, but newer than the last one. Anyway, we have available MTU with a maximum of 1500.

There is one other CableNut setting (which are really registry settings) that may cause problems with ADSL2+.

EnablePMTUDiscovery        1 is on  & 0 is off 

Try it off.

I think the new thinking is

DefaultTOSValue set to 0 like you now have it .

You might also try increasing this DefaultTTL to 128.

This is a link to a .pdf users guide for your modem if you need it.

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/wireless/3CRWDR100/DUA100A-72AAA02.pdf

I have just disabled EnablePMTUDiscovery (set to 0) in Cablenut.

I set DefaultTOSValue to 0 because I read something about it and thought that it was the best. But we can change it to 128 when you tell me.

Thank you for the link to my router's user guide, but I downloaded it yesterday.

I attach you new screens of cablenut and TCP Analyzer.

Before continuing I have one question about router configuration. In "Internet Settings", in "Connect type" I have chosen "Always connected", but I know that there are people who have set it to "Auto - Triggered by traffic". Do you know something about it? Or doesn't it affect very much?

Before doing any speed test, why don't you tell me which tests do you want me to do? I will do always the same tests to compare the results. Notice that I am in Spain in case you want to tell me some special test.

Mrproper  :o

hmm i didnt know ADSL2+ did not use the extra 8 bytes. you shouldnt have a problem getting your router to use 1500 for a mtu, i think they all let you set that manualy.

dlewis23, I upgraded to the latest router firmware and ... surprise!!: 1492 was the maximum MTU allowes. So I have just downgraded to the latest firmware that allows 1500.

I have made a speed test five times (testmy-net). These are the results:

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 4573 Kbps about 4.57 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 558 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/08/14 - 2:25pm

Bottom Line:: 80X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.84 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 10.718 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 211.94 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UVDWJ4SZL

Download Connection is:: 1744 Kbps about 1.74 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 213 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/14 - 2:26pm

Bottom Line:: 30X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.81 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 28.109 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 14.59 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2583EWGRZ

Download Connection is:: 2595 Kbps about 2.6 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 317 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/14 - 2:27pm

Bottom Line:: 45X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.23 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 18.891 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 52.56 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-EC9JBYZ7V

Download Connection is:: 1565 Kbps about 1.57 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 191 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/14 - 2:28pm

Bottom Line:: 27X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.36 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 15.656 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 93.1 % of your hosts average (189.159)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1D83MQGX5

Download Connection is:: 2078 Kbps about 2.08 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 254 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/14 - 2:29pm

Bottom Line:: 36X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.03 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 11.797 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 20.05 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-OYM0DXL3T

4,57 - 1,74 - 2,60 - 1,57 - 2,08 Mb (not very good, except the first test...)

In nearly all the test say "xx % faster than the average for host (189.159)". What does it mean? How can I download faster than my host? If I get always the same message (faster than my host) but the results are very poor (as shown above), would it mean that I can't do anything else?

I am going to paste some results of direct downloads with my favourite program: Flashget. I have tested downloading four large files simultaneously. I show you peaks at my maximum speed (my router indicates now 8,6 Mbps). Even one large file (more than 255 Mb) has downloaded at a reasonable speed (495,95 kB/s). The others files you see in the screens downloaded (average) at 144 kB/s, 123 kB/s and 181 kB/s (normal speed?). Well, that's the begining, but what I mean is that I have no problem in direct downloads. I am not very sad with it.

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 211.94 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 14.59 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 52.56 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 93.1 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 20.05 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

In nearly all the test say "xx % faster than the average for host (189.159)". What does it mean? How can I download faster than my host? If I get always the same message (faster than my host) but the results are very poor (as shown above), would it mean that I can't do anything else?

Simple, it means the average of all plans on your ISP. All speed packages.

Like DSL, they lump the 384, 768, 1.5, 3.0, and 6.0 (assuming I got all the numbers correctly). Well whatever the average speed of all the users is lumped into the same average. So 384 obviously will never reach the average, whereas the 6.0 should Never be as low as the average.

Not really uncommon.

Simple, it means the average of all plans on your ISP. All speed packages.

Like DSL, they lump the 384, 768, 1.5, 3.0, and 6.0 (assuming I got all the numbers correctly). Well whatever the average speed of all the users is lumped into the same average. So 384 obviously will never reach the average, whereas the 6.0 should Never be as low as the average.

Not really uncommon.

Sorry, I don't understand. What does "lump" mean?

Cholla, the things are improving at least at this time. I have only changed the first two parameter you told me. I have set both DefaultReceiveWindow and DefaultSendWindow to 8192 as you seggested. I have repeated the speed test 5 times. I have achieved a constant download speed of 4,55 Mbps.

These are the [glow=red,2,300]results for a sized 5.983 KB file [/glow] (the test automatically selects this file to do the test):

Download Connection is:: 4540 Kbps about 4.54 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 554 kB/s

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 84.4 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 4546 Kbps about 4.55 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 555 kB/s

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 76.41 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 4553 Kbps about 4.55 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 556 kB/s

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 69.82 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 63.82 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 59.01 % faster than the average for host (189.159)

Vanburen gave me the other day a link to do the [glow=red,2,300]test with a 20.972 KB sized file[/glow]. The results have been constant too, but not so good. Average download speed: 2,62 Mbps. These are the results:

Download Connection is:: 2373 Kbps about 2.37 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 290 kB/s

Tested From:: http://hem.bredband.net

Test Time:: 2006/08/15 - 1:39am

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 72.39 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 83.64 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 2616 Kbps about 2.62 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 319 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/15 - 1:40am

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 65.672 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 92.54 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 2706 Kbps about 2.71 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 330 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/15 - 1:42am

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 63.5 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 93.63 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 2668 Kbps about 2.67 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 326 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/15 - 1:44am

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 64.39 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 92.57 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Download Connection is:: 2743 Kbps about 2.74 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 335 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/15 - 1:45am

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 62.641 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 95.34 % of your hosts average (189.159)

Well, the results are not fantastic but much better and constant than before (and only modifying two values). I can not believe it. I am not going to change anything until you tell me what to change first.

Thank you cholla. I will wait impatiently for your response.

Anyway, I am looking at the results of TCP Optimizer and I can see that TCP Window is limiting speed.

"Bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 5139.2 kbps (642.4 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your TCP Window limits you to: 2055.68 kbps (256.96 KBytes/s) @ 500ms"

Assuming a normal delay of 200 ms, my top speed is 5 Mb, so I think it's normal that I can't get speeds > 4,5 Mb, isn't it?

Perhaps the solution is modifying the other values you mentioned in you post (mainly RWIN).

Anyway, I am looking at the results of TCP Optimizer and I can see that TCP Window is limiting speed.

"Bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 5139.2 kbps (642.4 KBytes/s) @ 200ms

Your TCP Window limits you to: 2055.68 kbps (256.96 KBytes/s) @ 500ms"

Assuming a normal delay of 200 ms, my top speed is 5 Mb, so I think it's normal that I can't get speeds > 4,5 Mb, isn't it?

Perhaps the solution is modifying the other values you mentioned in you post (mainly RWIN).

you should be able to get over 4.5mbps with out a problem, and you are on a 5983kb file but not on a larger one. clear your cache and try this one http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php?step1_timed=&step1_size=&step1_validation=&testall=&s=5983&st=st&ni=ni&ta=&top=&tt=1&nobar= then clear your cache and try this one http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php?step1_timed=&step1_size=&step1_validation=&testall=&s=12160&st=st&ni=ni&ta=&top=&tt=1&nobar=