sneaky verizon

clownfish

so I talk to a verizon rep. give them my address and all, and she tells me that I can get dsl here at 3M/768.  I order a phoneline and then order the 3M/768 package online.  My dsl started last week and I notice my speeds are capped at 1.5M/384.  I call verizon and they tell me that 1.5M/384 is the max speed I can get for my line.  wtf!  Verizon also tells me that the 3M/768 and 1.5M/384 have the same price at $29.95 for a year contract.  LOL.  I think its very sneaky of Verizon to promote there 3M/768 package online (they don't even mention a 1.5M package) eventhough many customers will only get the 1.5M/384 speed at the SAME price.  Is there anything I can do about this or I am just better off getting cable again.

btw I live in West Covina which is part of Los Angeles County.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1316 Kbps about 1.32 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 161 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/08/07 - 1:34pm

Bottom Line:: 23X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 6.36 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 9.313 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 22.68 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Z2VDJ08F6

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

i cant even get the 1.5 package.  I was told on the phone at one point that i could get the 3m package and they would upgrade it in a few days, a few weeks went by i called to ask if they could upgrade me again now they say no.  A few months later( im on the 1.5 package) i call them becuase i am having problems with it disconnecting a lot and a tech comes over and tell me that i am to far from the central station to get 1.5 so he put me down to 768 :mad2:

All of us are guilty of this including me.Either we really have no contract we can provee or made a electronic one we don't have a copy of.

The point is get a written contract if the won't give you a written signed contract then they probably can't provide what they claim.

I know most won't guarantee the speed you are charged for but if they don't on a constant basis & you can prove it you can break the contract.You might even get some money already paid refunded.but probably not more than that.

That Verizon plan is for speeds "up to 3/768".  The key there being "up to".  If your line cannot support 3mb speeds, they provision you at 1.5/384.  The 1.5 is not an actual plan, just a different provisioning of the 3 plan.  You can call and complain as much as you want, but there is little chance of getting a lower price.

That Verizon plan is for speeds "up to 3/768".  The key there being "up to".  If your line cannot support 3mb speeds, they provision you at 1.5/384.  The 1.5 is not an actual plan, just a different provisioning of the 3 plan.  You can call and complain as much as you want, but there is little chance of getting a lower price.

thats the biggest bunch of BS ever, they really need to start a 1.5mb plan for things like this.

clownfish how much was your cable and speeds before?

And welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I was paying about $50 for 3M/768 for charter cable before.  Speeds were ok but during peak hours (6pm-11:30pm) I would literally get like a dl speed of 450kbps.  Needless to say I would ping 300-400 in games.  That's why I switched to dsl, only now I have a new headache. o well

I know when I signed up in February of 2005 there WAS a 1.5M package, then shortly thereafter they changed that package to the 3.0M package.  Sneaky Verizon indeed, I waited for 2 months without seeing my speed change, and called them...they said that they don't change a customers speed, even if it is faster for the same price, unless the customer calls.  Anyway, I called to get the 3.0M for the same price(my throughput speeds are really good too, around 2.9M, and I'm 2 miles from the remote terminal), and waited weeks for it.  I called and on several occasions scheduled a Verizon tech to come and check things out.  3 times I was stood up.  Finally, I called and said that if I didn't get what I agreed to pay for, I was going to cancel my service, call the Better Business Bureau, and tattoo their reputation as much as a could, as well as get Earthlink DSL so that I still used their equipment but didn't pay them for it( IEEE used to not allow ISPs to restrict their equipment from others, such as telephone lines, routers, etc.).  Needless to say, there was a Verizon tech at my house the next morning at 9:15 AM.  Perhaps you could try being dirty too.