what provider? (uk)

moon monkey

Hi all, I hope someone can help me

I signed up for Tiscali Max 5Mbs+, unlimited downloads, for 17.99 a month.  I didn't need it but they couldn't offer me the 2Mbs I wanted, only 1 Mbs for the same price. After waiting 3 weeks I called them to see what was going on and they said  I couldn't have it and it was BT's fault (their line/exchange). I called BT and they said they could give me 5 Mbs+ within 5 days but their packages are horrible. My questions are therefore:

Why can BT offer me 5 Mbs+ but Tiscali cannot on the same line/exchange?. Something to do with different transfer methods?

Can I get 2Mbs+ with unlimited downloads for a fair price anywhere? BT wanted 27.99 with 40Gb limit.

Hi Moon monkey ,wellcome to the forum , good to have another UK member on board ,

The are My own personal thoughts on UK providers, and I expect others will disagree, the line speeds with B.T. are in a world of there own, a BT engineer line test on my line indicates a max of 2Mbs , but BT are offering me 5 Mbs ?

do you know the distance to your local exchange building, anything over 2 Km , will downgrade the speed , also the age of the phone line ,

most UK ISP's will sell a fast 5Mb service , but you will not achieve that speed ,

so why pay for something you won't get , is my view ,

your question why can BT offer speeds that are not availible with other ISP's ?

I think some sharp selling practices are going on there  :whaa:

I am with Pipex.com, unlimited but only 256Kbs @

cheers for the reply mate.

currently nicking next doors thru wifi (ahhh unsecured routers  :D, gotta couple of others in range that are generously donating as well) but I don't want to keep doing that as I am gobbling their bandwidth and i don't know if they are on download limits. Feel bad but....256k isn't going to do it for me i'm afraid. I thought Tiscali were trying it on by making me take the 5+ rather than the 2, but as they ended up giving me nothing I am not sure. Like I said neighbours do ok so the line and exchange must be ok, and BT say they can give me 5+, I don't know whats going on. Tiscali said that BT packet the data in a different way and thats why they can offer it. Call centre monkeys can't answer a single question that isn't on there list.I hope someone comes up with something for me.I will check out Pipex, cheers 24.99 is a bit steep but I was willing to pay 18 to Tiscali so its only 7 quid more. It was BT's 28 quid with 40 Gb limit that I thought was  a bit cheeky.

I was just checking out the Sky site. I am not an existing customer but from what I can make out I can join, get a couple of half decent packages for 15 quid a month and then stick 'up to' 8Mbs and a 40 Gb limit on top for a fiver a month and a 20 quid activation fee. Sounds ok, 20 quid a month for 2 sky packages and that broadband package. Any thoughts?

I was just checking out the Sky site. I am not an existing customer but from what I can make out I can join, get a couple of half decent packages for 15 quid a month and then stick 'up to' 8Mbs and a 40 Gb limit on top for a fiver a month and a 20 quid activation fee. Sounds ok, 20 quid a month for 2 sky packages and that broadband package. Any thoughts?

i dont like much the idea of the sky and orange packages

but it depends if u want stay with them for long or not

i presume u dont have ntl or telewest available i would go for them if u could.

pipex is a good isp i would recomend them as well

i do not recomend www.plus.net

The BT packages are rubbish tho. If I am going to pay 27.99 I don't want a limit 40Gb or not, you never know as I watch a lot of big movies on google.video, torrent a few and play poker online a lot, it soon mounts up. The Sky deal gives the same speed, same 40Gb, for 20 quid plus a digibox and two tv packages, gotta sign for a year on both....just worried I will run into the same problem I had with Tiscali, i.e. can't have it cos of the BT line/exchange thing.

The BT packages are rubbish tho. If I am going to pay 27.99 I don't want a limit 40Gb or not, you never know as I watch a lot of big movies on google.video, torrent a few and play poker online a lot, it soon mounts up. The Sky deal gives the same speed, same 40Gb, for 20 quid plus a digibox and two tv packages, gotta sign for a year on both....just worried I will run into the same problem I had with Tiscali, i.e. can't have it cos of the BT line/exchange thing.

ok see if you can get this ISP http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/index3.asp 16mbps unlimited for 24.50