Capped below advertised?

sean5900xt

I have a cable internet connection that advertises 4.0Mbps down. I used to get this speed all the time, but recently my cable company was having problems with there bandwith provider (AT&T). They orderd more bandwidth but it also seems like the put all the cable modem capped at 3.7. I know thats its not a big diffrence in speed but should the cable provider be able to cap the modem lower then what they advertise? I am pretty much possitive its capped at 3.7 cause thats what I get no matter what time it is, and aslo it only started doing this after they sent the modem a new config file.

I have a cable internet connection that advertises 4.0Mbps down. I used to get this speed all the time, but recently my cable company was having problems with there bandwith provider (AT&T). They orderd more bandwidth but it also seems like the put all the cable modem capped at 3.7. I know thats its not a big diffrence in speed but should the cable provider be able to cap the modem lower then what they advertise? I am pretty much possitive its capped at 3.7 cause thats what I get no matter what time it is, and aslo it only started doing this after they sent the modem a new config file.

sean5900xt i can tell your not capped at 3.7 why because you will always get lower then your cap, your modem is probally capped at 4mbps, and 3.7 is a acceptable rate for a 4mbps connection.

Now that I think about it I think what they did is lowerd the cap to 4.0, from 4.2 because the modem used to get 4.2 to 4.4 on speed test, and it probably didnt help with the bandwith crunch they where having so they probably but it back down to 4.0, because now iam starting to get speeds of 3.85 now.

Now that I think about it I think what they did is lowerd the cap to 4.0, from 4.2 because the modem used to get 4.2 to 4.4 on speed test, and it probably didnt help with the bandwith crunch they where having so they probably but it back down to 4.0, because now iam starting to get speeds of 3.85 now.

that makes more sense they would not cap it below what the advertised is.