Dell GX270

igarek77

Hi Guys

OK, well here's my dillema. My friend brought his PC asking me to fix it if I can. I checked everywhere and cannot seem to find the solution. The problem is that when I turn the computer on, the first thing I get is 2 POST beeps and then it says "Computer was previously shut down due to thermal event". After that, I can access the PC's BIOS info, that's about it, I cannot load windows in any mode. tried them all, the computer would start to load and then shut off, and the above message comes up after I try to turn it back on again.

here's what I have tried so far:

1. Search Dell knowledge base, and couldn't locate any useful info.

2. Re-seat the CPU and clean the old thermal grease, and applied brand new one.

3. Cleaned out the power supply with canned air (and also the whole PC)

4. Checked all the connectors on the MOBO, they all seem OK.

That's where I'm at right now. So if anyone would be able to suggest anything to try, please let me know. Haven't had this type of issue before and I believe I've tried everything logical.

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys have been a great crowd to ask a question to and get great answers.

Thanks! :D

Things to check:

The GX270 and GX260 series (minitower) both have a flaw where certain capaciters on the motherboard will burn up or even explode.  I believe they are the ones closest to the AGP and PCI slots.  Check to make sure none have. 

The GX270s are also notorious for having BAD power supplies.  We have had close to 14, just in our building that have had them.

Make sure that the CPU, power supply, and case all have working fans.  (ESP The power supply, as they are known to go bad).

The GX 270s have been the most faulty model we have ever bought in our department.  All other Dell's have been of excellent quality.

I have seen this on my laptop.. when it is really hot in my room.. 80+  Try some compressed air around the cpu.. just to get rid of any dust.. I am sure that there is a thermal sensor some where in there... If it is a slim line Run away!!  They are known for over heating.. the airflow is really bad in those cases...

Will it boot if the case is open?

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

Well, this is a slim line model, my friend got it for free from a hospital where his wife works, I guess they are replacing their computers (makes u wonder why) lol

I have checked the fan on the PSU and it seems to be working fine, same goes for the CPU fan, I'll try another fan on the CPU and see if it makes a difference. I did a little more searching and found out the same information that ghostmaster posted, and couple of capacitors do look swollen on the MOBO. So i think the MOBO is bad. I also checked the warranty on dells web site, and it says it's still under warranty untill march '07, should I try to contact them and try to get a new mobo from them? Cause the PC was initially bought under that hospitals contract with them. Any suggestions.

BTW, guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

I would have him take it back to work and have a warranty parts request put in through Dell.  I doubt they would help if you called them yourself.  They probably have next day parts and labor so it shouldn't take long to get it replaced.  Good luck!

We have over 200 of the Dell GX520/620 slim line models in our building.  The 620s run loud and hot, but we havn't had any problems yet.

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

Well, this is a slim line model, my friend got it for free from a hospital where his wife works, I guess they are replacing their computers (makes u wonder why) lol

I have checked the fan on the PSU and it seems to be working fine, same goes for the CPU fan, I'll try another fan on the CPU and see if it makes a difference. I did a little more searching and found out the same information that ghostmaster posted, and couple of capacitors do look swollen on the MOBO. So i think the MOBO is bad. I also checked the warranty on dells web site, and it says it's still under warranty untill march '07, should I try to contact them and try to get a new mobo from them? Cause the PC was initially bought under that hospitals contract with them. Any suggestions.

BTW, guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

call dell and say the mobo is bad and when they say were there going to ship it just tell them not there ship it to my house I'm repairing for the hospital.

Hi Guys,

Have a little update. Basically, contacted Dell, and talked with a rep, didn't have a problem at all, they didn't care who owns the PC, as long as it was covered with the warranty, and since there was another 2 years left on the warranty, I got the replacement MOBO for free. So thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate the help!!!!! :cool:

Hi Guys,

Have a little update. Basically, contacted Dell, and talked with a rep, didn't have a problem at all, they didn't care who owns the PC, as long as it was covered with the warranty, and since there was another 2 years left on the warranty, I got the replacement MOBO for free. So thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate the help!!!!! :cool:

nice  :D good to here you got that take care of.