READING ERROR in BOOT SECTOR

karthic

hi guys

i ran a ewido online scan and it found some 8 viruses in windows/system32/wininet.dll

i removed the infections and restarted in safemode and ran a AVG virus scan and it showed like there is a reading error in partition table and boot sector in drive C:

after exiting from safe mode i restarted the xp os and again i ran a AVG virus scan and it showed nothing like reading error but change in boot sector in C:

what should i do????????

run the windows error checking on the drive, AVG is not going to be able to tell you if you have errors on your drive.

Open up my computer right click on the drive and click properties, under tools click check now, check both check boxes in the window that pops up, restart and it will start to check.

hi guys

i ran a ewido online scan and it found some 8 viruses in windows/system32/wininet.dll

i removed the infections and restarted in safemode and ran a AVG virus scan and it showed like there is a reading error in partition table and boot sector in drive C:

after exiting from safe mode i restarted the xp os and again i ran a AVG virus scan and it showed nothing like reading error but change in boot sector in C:

what should i do????????

After a scan with Grisoft AVG , it allways shows a change in boot sector,

not just on my puter but all that I have seen running AVG, so I don't think that is a problem , this happens on clean installs that haven't been online , just hope this observation helps 

@ dlewis23

i have windows '98 in C: and windows XP in D: and as u told i ran the error check  on both these discs but no errors showed up

but while startup some applications like yahoo messenger and JAVA console could n't be started telling me that "WININET.DLL couldnot be found"

@roco

in normal mode its ok to see those things in AVG but in safe mode i ve never seen reading error in boot sector and in partition table

some internet based applications in my pc couldnot be started coz it tells me "WININET.DLL couldnot be found"

yes roco

i searched it with google

i downloaded a debugging file from microsoft.com but its of no use

i downloaded wininet.dll from

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wininet

and placed it in system32 folder and now i have to restart to check whether those problems continue

i am restarting now and will revert back