Mission: Spam

Daiquirii

I have nothing better to do, so I decided to create a gmail account and purposely sign up for spam to see if I could reach my over 2 gigs worth of storage, and how long it would take to do so.

1:53 am (eastern) Congratulations on creating your brand new Gmail account,

[email protected]

1/2 hour after that I had "finished" going through one spam offer that I took off of my normal email adress. I said yes to every offer thrown at me that would accept gibberish.

Since gmail deletes spam after 30 days, I plan to move them into normal mail periodically.

Feel free to sign me up for more spam, the more the merrier. I will keep stats in my sig or something... Any suggestions are happily taken.

*looks at account* wow thirty spam already, the first was at 2:00 AM eastern, good benchmark...

Maybe we should have a spam race, that would be fun...competitive spam collecting. ^_^

(I really do come up with some stupid things just to entertain myself...)

I have nothing better to do, so I decided to create a gmail account and purposely sign up for spam to see if I could reach my over 2 gigs worth of storage, and how long it would take to do so.

1/2 hour after that I had "finished" going through one spam offer that I took off of my normal email adress. I said yes to every offer thrown at me that would accept gibberish.

Since gmail deletes spam after 30 days, I plan to move them into normal mail periodically.

Feel free to sign me up for more spam, the more the merrier. I will keep stats in my sig or something... Any suggestions are happily taken.

*looks at account* wow thirty spam already, the first was at 2:00 AM eastern, good benchmark...

Maybe we should have a spam race, that would be fun...competitive spam collecting. ^_^

(I really do come up with some stupid things just to entertain myself...)

:haha: :haha: Good idea, and entertaining too. I cant wait to see.

So far after 12 hours I have 47, and thats just from going through one site

*runs to fill out more spam questionairs* I'll probably make myself a little update sign in my sig later.

Lol, to bad I had to drop my stat class (had credit for it because of AP test), I probably could have done something like a statistical analysis of spam for a term project. I'll keep track of the "data" by hours (good thing gmail has lables), maybe one of my friends whos in the stat class I was in last year can use it for their final project...

8/12/06 (-1-) 2:00 AM (30)

8/12/06 (-1-) 3:00 AM (4)

8/12/06 (-1-) 5:00 AM (1)

8/12/06 (-1-) 7:00 AM (1)

8/12/06 (-1-) 8:00 AM (1)

8/12/06 (-1-) 9:00 AM (1)

8/12/06 (-2-) 10:00 AM (1)

8/12/06 (-2-) 11:00 AM (4)

8/12/06 (-2-) 12:00 PM (2)

8/12/06 (-3-) 1:00 PM (2)

8/12/06 (-3-) 2:00 PM (1)

Thats what I have so far. I have those (-#-) things in there to keep times in the right order. I had a lot at 2 AM because that when I signed up for the innitial spam, and now some are sending me more, and some stopped. Now is time to make more spam come to my mailbox...

Thanks for all the help, I didn't think you all would be this mildly amused.

I had to reorganize, too many labels doing it each day for each hour. Now I will have date lables and time lables, that way it saves room, and if I need to I can search for mail that has a date and time label that I specify.

(D) 8/12/06 (94)

(D) 8/13/06 (61)

(Grouped Spam- Dates Above Times Below) (2)

(T0) 12:00 AM (9)

(T1) 1:00 AM (1)

(T1) 2:00 AM (37)

(T1) 3:00 AM (11)

(T1) 4:00 AM (1)

(T1) 5:00 AM (2)

(T1) 6:00 AM (1)

(T1) 7:00 AM (3)

(T1) 8:00 AM (4)

(T1) 9:00 AM (7)

(T2) 10:00 AM (5)

(T2) 11:00 AM (6)

(T2) 12:00 PM (6)

(T3) 1:00 PM (5)

(T3) 2:00 PM (8 )

(T3) 3:00 PM (4)

(T3) 4:00 PM (2)

(T3) 5:00 PM

(T3) 6:00 PM (1)

(T3) 7:00 PM (2)

(T3) 8:00 PM

(T3) 9:00 PM (1)

(T4) 10:00 PM (1)

(T4) 11:00 PM (38)

Lol, as I was moving spam into my inbox, I got this little gmail notification box... it makes no sense that it would pop up when I was saving spam, but not when deleting it. It seems to only appear when you move like five or more at a time... Maybe theres a flaw in their programming or something...

That ain't no joke, that is the way it really works too.  :angry4:

Been there and did that too.

yep me too...then someone near and deat to me told me...that's how i knew that...

so get to unsubscribin'...that should speed it up...

oh and if it's anything like hotmail...soon as u add it to the spam list and or block it that also adds u too a bunch more lists

A little update.Figured I'd post for 3 reasons...

1) I am 1/100'th of the way there, and the amount of mail I get each day is increasing. I've abandoned the spam only approach, instead I am signing up for every free newsletter I can find via google. You name it I'm subscribed to it, or will soon be. I have enough subcriptions to different tech newsletters that I could be one of news anchors.

8/12/06 (94)

8/13/06 (92)

8/14/06 (150)

8/15/06 (248)

8/16/06 (459)

8/17/06 (498)-so far

2) If you're going to sign me up for some site, dont go using my email for your own account. If its a downloads site or something I can easily see your history, and figure out whos downloading what, especially if you use a name similar to the one you use here *cough* gotmilk/gotmilk4 *cough*. Lol, it would be sort of funny if I ended up being able to blackmail someone through this, but its not like I would... just a simple warning.

3) Gmail cant do math, since when is 15 1% of 2755. last time I checked, it was .54446 %. Maybe they round up...