NETGEAR. 802.11g Cable/DSL Wireless Router

Daiquirii

I am thinking about getting the above mentioned router for my new DSL connection. I just have a quick question before getting it, does anyone know what I may get for a range on it? I would like to have at least fifty feet, and it would need to reach another floor of my house. I intend to have two wireless notebooks and a desktop computer using it.  Also, if any of you have any suggestions for a product that would be better for around 20-30 dollars or less it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am thinking about getting the above mentioned router for my new DSL connection. I just have a quick question before getting it, does anyone know what I may get for a range on it? I would like to have at least fifty feet, and it would need to reach another floor of my house. I intend to have two wireless notebooks and a desktop computer using it.  Also, if any of you have any suggestions for a product that would be better for around 20-30 dollars or less it would be appreciated. Thanks.

that router will have no problem going atleast 50 feet for like 150 feet. and it will go to the other floor no problem. You really can't go wrong with netgear they have a real solid product at a great price, and if you ever have a quesion they support is pertty good aswell.

Netgear makes a decent product.. There are a few models that have a mind of their own which refuse to keep settings for some unknown reason.. I will check which model that was when I get back to my apt.

As far as range goes.. It really depends on the environment that the router is going to be in.  2.4 ghz phones, microwaves, and other wifi routers can affect the performance. 

If you are looking for some other alternatives.. US Robotics makes a nice router..  http://www.usr.com/products/networking/wireless-product.asp?sku=USR5461  that I was able to get for $20 after rebates from compusa..  Linksys owned by Cisco also makes a solid product.  Dlink is the other big name brand.. I have had so-so luck with their new products..  As long as you know what you want when you go and dont let the sales person talk you into something that you really dont need cause they are going to tell you how great 802.11n is..  you should be fine with what ever you choose.

One other little thing to save you about $40.. the desktop doent really need to be wireless.. if possible use the router to hook up the desktop via ethernet.  This will save you the cost of a pci wireless card and the connection will be a little faster than the notebooks..

ya, I know that, the model I was looking at had 4 ethernet ports in the back, 1 for the desktop, and three others for the printer and stuff. If I were to plug the printer into the router, could I access it from my laptop? I'm probably going to end up getting it from Toshiba's website, after rebates it will be 20 dollars, and then 5.00 in shipping and taxes, but I still need to look around. DSLs not going to be turned on till the 18'th, so if I ordered by tuesday it would probably be here in time..

my neighbor a cross the street has a netgear 1 and i can use it in my house

thats probably 75 ft i get 32% strenght on my psp on the room closes to his houseif i stand right outside next to the same wall i get 80% my wall is a lil thick i guess and kills it a bit

oh im a psp

a laptop does way better

the onboard print server are great when they work.. the problem, atleast with the USR model, is if you unplug, turn off, or do anything to the router.. it seems to crash the print server..  You will get a print cue that loops endlessly.. the only way to fix it is to reboot the router..

the onboard print server are great when they work.. the problem, atleast with the USR model, is if you unplug, turn off, or do anything to the router.. it seems to crash the print server..  You will get a print cue that loops endlessly.. the only way to fix it is to reboot the router..

ive only had that problem on a USR one.

That Netgear router sounds fine...almost any 802.11g router will reach 50 feet...some reach over 300!  And making it to another floor? No problem either.  MAC address filters are a good way to keep people out, but the more secure, the better....especially if you have close neighbors.  Enable WPA (WiFi Protected Access) encryption on your network....it is very secure as far as scrambling data to bystanders.  To the naked eye, it is pretty much password protecting your wireless network.  And, as with any other password...the longer, the better! 

Mac address filters are not enough...  They will keep the casual hacker out for a little bit until they figure out that all they have to do is clone the mac address of one of the computers on the network.  I would still add WPA on top of that..