Having router connection problems?

netmasta

This might  help. From D-link:

Problems keeping a constant connect to the router 

This is typically an issue with older 10/100BaseT network cards. The problem is the older cards have a hard time establishing a connection speed with the router unit.You can resolve this issue by locking down the speed of your Ethernet card.

To correct this problem in WINDOWS XP

Step 1 Go to Start> Control Panel > and select Network connections.

Step 2 Right click on your network card (for 2000 and XP only)and select Properties.

Step 3 Select the Configure button.

Step 4 Under the Advanced tab you will see two boxes; Property and Value.

Note: Depending on the type of Ethernet card you are using the headings in the Property box will be slightly different.

Step 5 Select each heading in the Properties box until the Value box displays the speed of your Ethernet card (it will look like this: Auto-Negotiation, 10Mb Full, 100 MB Half, etc..). You want to select 10mb Full Duplex.

Step 6 Keep clicking OK until you get to the desktop. Your computer may ask you to reboot depending on the version of Windows you are running.

My test results : [ from memory. ] [[ back when i was still on 3mb down]]

10 mb full duplex - 1.7 mbs

100mb full duplex - 3.3 mbs

Iv read in many different places that even if your on narrowband its always good to keep it on 100 full.

Unless your running a network place, where each computer needs that limit, 100 full should always be used.

yea you should run 100 Mbps full unless you are on LAN connecting to a 10 Mbps Switch like me

on cable and dsl  you should compare speed by using 100 Mbps halfduplex on the WAN port to your modem and using 100 full,  if your using a router .... and then use the setting that work best. cable is half duplex and dsl is ISP depending.

if you dont have a router, and connect to a modem, then you need to know this,

comparing speed between 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps on a NIC with XP/2k you need to change TcpWindowSize so you have the same each test.

Win XP/2k change your TcpWindowSize depending on what speed you running at your NIC

100 Mbps on NIC give me a TcpWindowsize of 64240

10 Mbps on NIC give me a TcpWindowsize of 17520

VanBuren :)

My test results : [ from memory. ] [[ back when i was still on 3mb down]]

10 mb full duplex - 1.7 mbs

100mb full duplex - 3.3 mbs

Iv read in many different places that even if your on narrowband its always good to keep it on 100 full.

Unless your running a network place, where each computer needs that limit, 100 full should always be used.

I just tried setting my nic to 100Base TX and I only get about 10Kbps vs 3.1Mb on 10Base.