automatic turn off of cable modem!!!!

karthic

hi guys

i just want to turn off my cable modem at a predefined time. is there any software for doing this job?

in other words, i don't want any transfers or any kind of internet activity in my pc after that predefined time, is there any way i can do that??

or atleast i can shut down my computer automatically so that so internet activity is not there even if my modem is ON? i tried with hibernation in the Power Options but i want your opinion friends!!!!

thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ swimmer

i don't use a router dude

ok how to use that command in the command prompt that u were talking about to shut down my computer

first of all what 's that command?can u explain a bit more?

Get one of those light timers that can turn appliances on and off at set times...

what is that set times.....??????????

in fact i searched with google and downloaded a small software called delayed shutdown by Alexander G. Styopkin. and gave it a try.but oops!!!!!

it returned with the screen displaying "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

oh god.. i never thought i would see such a quote in Windows XP!

and my power light didn't goes off after this(attached pictures)

ah ah

after trying some dozen softwares i finally settled for one called "shutdown"(attached pic)

its really superb dudes just shutting down the the whole pc

some softwares i tried caused some serious effects such as keeping the system time constant and all, but this one is a sure win over them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys for replies............

Wow I can't believe that no one has suggested the low tech rock solid solution to this... Put your cable modem's power plug on a timer. You can pick up power timers for a few bucks at any hardware store then the problem is solved. The cable modem will be off because it won't have power.

Wow I can't believe that no one has suggested the low tech rock solid solution to this... Put your cable modem's power plug on a timer. You can pick up power timers for a few bucks at any hardware store then the problem is solved. The cable modem will be off because it won't have power.

actually php did suggest that http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=15694.msg166388#msg166388

It happens that way in the beginning. You get used to it.  ;)

No biggie. I get embarrassed all the time, but it has gotten to be part of the fun. I just smile, lower my head, and duck out.  :lol:

:lol: :lol: wada you mean in the beginning Tommie , I'm still doing it  :roll:

and wellcome Jonmdewey to the forum ,

getting one of those timer things from waltmat copuld damage your pc as it would not shut down properly

u could c a few blue screens of dead

and maybe a fried hard drive as a result

go with some software instead

or put it on the modem only and not the pc

getting one of those timer things from waltmat copuld damage your pc as it would not shut down properly

u could c a few blue screens of dead

and maybe a fried hard drive as a result

go with some software instead

or put it on the modem only and not the pc

for the PC thats not a good idea. for the cable modem its fine.