replacing fan

insideout

I just wanted to know about the voltage cuz I don't want to buy a fan that didn't work lol. Um i guess i'll buy the quieter one that the other guy recommended. I looked inside my computer and the fan seemed to have so many wires attached to it; is this something an average person can do or does it require someone with computer expertise?

I just wanted to know about the voltage cuz I don't want to buy a fan that didn't work lol. Um i guess i'll buy the quieter one that the other guy recommended. I looked inside my computer and the fan seemed to have so many wires attached to it; is this something an average person can do or does it require someone with computer expertise?

Its not hard at all, anyone can do it, there should be just 4 wires at max.

From what I have seen.. the sounds dampining materials, the stuff you stick on the inside of your case, acts like insulation..  So if you have a heat problem or are running a little bit warm.. it is just going to be amplified by that stuff..

However,  I do think that the rubber gaskets work... I was rather impressed by the difference that it made on one of my cases.

from what ive tried, anything that you stick on to the side of your case to lower the noise, just creates more heat. rubber gaskets are really the only thing that work.

the there is so many wires part to the fan... are we talking about a fan or a power supply (which has a fan in it)?

no, i don't want to sound condescending, i couldn't find a better way to put that. it's just that i have never seen a fan about which i would say "so many wires", but a psu i would put in that category.

it's just i can't see what you're doing, so i have to ask you to clarify.

the there is so many wires part to the fan... are we talking about a fan or a power supply (which has a fan in it)?

no, i don't want to sound condescending, i couldn't find a better way to put that. it's just that i have never seen a fan about which i would say "so many wires", but a psu i would put in that category.

it's just i can't see what you're doing, so i have to ask you to clarify.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14358.0;attach=14814;image

Well this is what I'm talking about. I thought that the fan is on the bottom right with all the wires.

it would in theory work, since nothing is broken. practically it would be about as dead as a treestump sice nothing is supplying the thing power. (hence the name power /SUPPLY/ unit) the psu is a transforer that turns your mains electrical supply, 120 V at 60 Hz AC in the US, into the 5, 3.3 and 12 Volt that the computer uses. it actually transforms that into some other voltages it needs, the three above are just what the PSU supplies.

hmm but now if I don't take out that PSU, would I still be able to put in the fan? I thought I was going to replace that PSU. And if I do take it out, would the computer still work?

You could use a standard 80mm fan to replace a PSU fan.. however, I would highly not recommend opening a PSU.  There are capactiors that hold voltage even when it is turned off..  If you have to replace the fan on a PSU either buy a new one or jimmy rig one on with some super glue..  There is no real reason to ever open a PSU.

if the psu is ok and its fan is ok there is no need to replace it.

you can buy an additional fan and install that.

i like the rolls-royce turbofans, they have many nice features.

Unique three-shaft design provides a tailored solution for the optimum combination of performance and economics

Lowest risk, highest value solution for customers.

Blisk technology delivering module weight savings of 15 per cent, aerodynamic efficiency improvements and improved lifecycle costs

3rd generation swept fan - proven on the Trent 900 and Trent 1000 to give improved performance whilst reducing noise and weight

3rd generation contra-rotation of the high pressure system, significantly improving performance and efficiency

Low hub tip ratio fan system

Internal cooling air management

Incorporating the latest noise and emissions reduction technology and exceeding all current and proposed environmental legislation

okay so i'm a little confused now. Does the PSU also act as the fan as well or is there a fan inside that I don't know about? There's this section of the computer I didn't open because I didn't think it was necessary so I guess that holds the fan?

there should be another fan inside. the PSU fan should never be used to cool the entire computer it is designed to just cool the power supply.