Networking Book

igarek77

Hi All,

Just had a quick question, my friend asked me what book he should buy to learn more about networking, how to configure/set up/maintain a network. I suggested a couple of books for him to read, what books would you guys recommend? I can't really take him to work with me to show how everything's done lol :haha:, so if you guys can, please post book names in here, whichever ones you think are the best.

Thanks ALOT!!

I dont know of any really good networking books... I think it is just one of those things you do based on trial and error..  I mean you can go out an cisco book.. but that will teach you their way of doing it.. everyone has a different way and no one way is correct as long as you have the fundementals..

I dont know of any really good networking books... I think it is just one of those things you do based on trial and error..  I mean you can go out an cisco book.. but that will teach you their way of doing it.. everyone has a different way and no one way is correct as long as you have the fundementals..

thats what i was going to say, i also think trial and error is the way to learn, or just watch someone else do it.

book.. pff

lol

Seriously though, I haven't read a how-to book about anything computer-related since I learned HTML (and that was quite a while ago)

All trial and error ;)

I'm sure there's a Networking for Dummies book though.... there's _______ for Dummies for just about anything it seems like.

edit: Sure enough.. first result in Google.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764516779/002-6842738-9956066?v=glance&n=283155

If you understand the basics you are better off than most people..  If you are setting up a production environment then yea.. you might want to read some books or manuals first..    There really isnt to much harm that you can do with the consumer stuff.. it isnt going to break, crash, freeze, or blow up if you connect it wrong..

If he is looking for the basics/fundamentals then yea head to the library and get the dummies book.

book.. pff

lol

Seriously though, I haven't read a how-to book about anything computer-related since I learned HTML (and that was quite a while ago)

All trial and error ;)

I'm sure there's a Networking for Dummies book though.... there's _______ for Dummies for just about anything it seems like.

edit: Sure enough.. first result in Google.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764516779/002-6842738-9956066?v=glance&n=283155

PHP,

Funny you mentioned that, cause that's one of the first books I told him to try to look for..lol I agree with all you guys that trial and error are the best teachers, I've learned so much more than I already knew. MY friend is already too old for me to take him for "bring kids to work day"..lol I guess he'd have to dig on the net, set up couple of PC's at home, and start troubleshooting....