AMD 3700+ only 800 MHz?

Marcin541

Hello, I have a small issue I need help with. After a few months of using my laptop computer, which ive ordered from IBuyPower.com I have noticed that the processor never goes over 800 MHz. I have not found it too much of a problem as it still is rather fast, but as you can see from the attached screenshots my processor is AMD Athlon 3700+. Last time i checked the actual clock speed of a AMD 3700+ is 2.4GHz. Ive contacted my manufacturer but apparently, as they told me, that is the Cool n' Quiet technology my processor comes with.

But i did some of my own research. As you can see from the screenshots, and from my broad knowledge of my processor, it has something called a FID (Frequency ID Control) which basically multiplies the FSB (or HTT in AMD's case - which is 200 MHz for non overclocked processors) times 4-12 (4 being the minimum and 12 being the maximum, hence the 2.4 GHz), and thats your actual reported processor clock speed. I am 100% sure it is not Cool n' Quiet technology, because as ive said before, It never goes above 800 MHz, even during benchmarks. I also found out you have to have youre Power options set at Portable/Laptop for Cool n' quiet to work (not confirmed), and even if its set at that, it doesnt work properly.

My processor however has an automatic limit of 4x which I have to use a program called RMClock to change. I have proven that there is a significant difference between the 4x and 12x modes (See my benchmark results using 4x and 12x modes). These benchmark results were done by EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2006 (version 2.8) Trial. And as you can see there is a double FPS in Counter Strike source using lowest resolution, lowest detail level, and no extra options. There is also a problem related to my RAM due to this clock speed. I use 2x 512MB DDR clocked at 400 MHz, but it has a limit of CPU speed/5 as the actual clock speed 800/5 = 160 MHz, and the clock speed of my ram is 320 (160x2) not 400. If I use the 5x mode or higher it is clocked at 200 MHz (200x2 = 400) and it is fine. Finally, my 3DMark03 score went up by nearly 400, which for those who use that program, know it is a significant improvement.

there is however a problem with me using the 12x mode. Within 20 minutes my computer shuts down due to overheating. This being the first time i ever bought a notebook computer, and looking at others from other companies i see that none of them come with a processor like mine.

Also, my BIOS doesnt have any "over clocking" or processor settings options, only basic functions such as BIOS password, quick boot, and change time.

So has IBuyPower.com ripped me off? Did they know that setting the FID to 12x would cause overheating problems, so they automatically set it to 4x, and knew i couldnt change it through the BIOS and try to tell me its cool n' quiet technology? I am able to use 8x without overheating problems btw.

What now? How am i to use the 12x mode without problems? I bought this laptop only because I didnt have room for another monitor on my desk and didnt want to get rid of my current desktop. I would be willing to buy external equipment to cool down my computer, as i dont really take it out alot. I already have a external cooling pad (which i do not use currently, because im away on vacation and havent brought it with me). I doubt the cooling pad will do much difference even if i do use it with the 12x mode. There is no room for any extra fans, or any cooling equipment inside of my computer.

EDIT:

Sorry if i mentioned that I uploaded any HTLM files because i didnt check that the board doesnt allow .htm extension

here are my benchmarks:

with 4x:

http://www.freewebs.com/marcin541/Benchmark%20with%204x.htm

8x

http://www.freewebs.com/marcin541/Benchmark%20with%208x.htm

12x

http://www.freewebs.com/marcin541/Benchmark%20with%2012x.htm

Sorry for the double post, I didn't realize I clicked quote instead of modify....

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the whole thing...

More often than not, windows misreports clock speeds.  If you use something else that reads the system specs, like the bios, what speed does it say?  Did you try turning off Cool N Quiet in te BIOS?

my bios reports it as 800 MHz (startup screen) other than that, there is no other place where it tells me my speed in the BIOS.

And no, there is no Cool n' Quiet technology settings in my BIOS

other than that, I know it mis reads it because of my benchmark results with and without using RMClock

yeah...go into your bios, make sure you multiplier is set to 11 and that your fsb is a standard of 200 - also, you can turn of cool and quiet - nothing bad will happen...cool and quiet lowers your processor voltage and speed when you are not doing anything heavy - and it should switch back to full speed when it sees the need....i would just turn it off

Guys, re-read my post. I cannot go into my BIOS because It doesnt have any multiplier options, as a matter of fact, it has no processor related options. I know what Cool n' Quiet does, but once again, I cannot change my FID through BIOS, and even if Cool n' Quiet works correctly, then it will change my FID to 12x and Voltage to 1.55v and it will  overheat my laptop.

@ RAINMAKA - google AMD 3700+, the actual clock speed is 2.4 ghz, and the multiplier should be 12x for it to be 2.4 ghz.

Ive been trying to figure that one out too. According to Lavasys, its unknown, and other programs dont report any motherboard name either. Ive opened up my laptop (as much as i could because its still on warranty) and there is no indication of any botherboard.

here is a screenshot

Ive been trying to figure that one out too. According to Lavasys, its unknown, and other programs dont report any motherboard name either. Ive opened up my laptop (as much as i could because its still on warranty) and there is no indication of any botherboard.

here is a screenshot

oh its a laptop, that changes everything, make sure its pluged in when you go into the bios to check the speed. Its going to slow it down because the battery alone doesnt have enough power to allow it to go at full speed.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=CP6437R

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202068496&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=202068496&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=17379

I believe the socket 939 are different than socket 754, im not sure about that

mine is socket 754

about the voltage, doesnt it go up by .025? I dont see how it can be 1.36, maybe 1.350.