HN7000S Slow Speeds

BillyH80

For the past 5 days, I've had usage that was averaging around 500Kbps. The speeds were lowest around 8PM at nearly 87Kbps. At around 1AM, I'm able to sometimes achieve a speed of ~1000Kbps. When I originally got the dish 8 days ago, I was browsing at a speed of 1200-1400Kbps.

Is this sharp decrease normal? What is wrong?

I've seen some posts on this forum that indicated that bad or no grounding on the satellite may be the cause of such things. As a concerned customer, I called the installer and asked them if my satellite was grounded. They replied that simply mounting it on the side of my trailer house was adequate grounding. However, I see in nearly all other installs that the transmitter is grounded to the dish, and then the cables are grounded as well.

On the contrary, I've seen that grounding is not encouraged if quad shielded coax is used. Since I am an admitted newbie to this, I can't say that I do in fact have quad shielded cable. However, I can leave that up for someone to decipher. The side of the cable reads

EAGLE ASPEN A 59B2 RG6 HIGH PERFORMANCE 3.0 GHz DIGITAL DUAL CABLE        18AWG (UL) & C(UL) 75C E245025 CMX

I've also told that when it comes to grounding, an item of utmost concern is the transmitter or radio. Basic Stats for it is as follows:

RECEPTION INFO

Receive Status                                                Receiver operational. RxCode 5

Frames Received                                            4654544

Frames with Errors                                          0%

Bad Key Frames                                              0%

Current Modcod                                                8-PSK 2/3 (13)

TRANSMISSION INFO

Transmit Status                                            Transmitter ready. TxCode 8

Number of Successful Transmissions              294264

Number of Failed Transmissions                      9014

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission 63932

I do not see the significance of these figures. I assume there is a percentage that is tolerable. However, there are times when I see the number  of failed transmissions is gradually increasing.

The main thing that I do know is the drastic decrease in speed. I would be very grateful to anybody who can help me. If you need more information, feel free to tell me.

As an addendum here is my System Info

HN7000S Info

Site ID:

SAN:

Serial Number:

Software Date:            Jul 18 2006, 17:03:47

Software Release:        5.3.0.24

LAN1 IP Address:        192.168.0.1

LAN1 Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0

LAN2 IP Address:        0.0.0.0

LAN2 Subnet Mask:    0.0.0.0

NAT IP Address:

NAT Subnet Mask:      255.255.255.255

Satellite

Transmit Path:            Satellite

Outroute:                    Primary

Longitude:                  93 West

Receive Frequency:    1433 MHz

Receive Symbol Rate:  21.50 Msps

Receive Polarization:    Horizontal

Transmit Polarization:  Horizontal

22KHz Tone:                Off

Router Address:

Transmit Radio Info:

Transmit Radio Wattage: 1 Watt

Software Configuration

NAT:                              Enabled

DHCP:                          Enabled on Lan1

Firewall:                        Disabled (from NOC)

Turbo Page:                    Enabled

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum BillyH80 :wave:

OK to start with I assume the speeds were extreme at first as the main server was doing a sort of adjustment. At first I was getting like 2800, but it slowed down in the next couple of weeks.

Try reading this first.

Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

And then post a download test at the top of your browser. Using the 2992 file test.  :D

Thank you for your attention to my plight, Tommie.

Clean Files - Large Amount: Cleaned

Check Errors - Rebooted: No Errors

The Cleaner - No Trojans Found

AVG Free AV - No Viruses Found

Ad-Aware SE - Updated, 26 Negligible Objects

Spybot S&D  - Updated, No Immediate Threats Found

HijackThis  - No Errant Settings Found

I just ran the 2992kB download test, and here are the results of it.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 128 Kbps about 0.13 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 16 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/08/19 - 6:57pm

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 64 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 191.765 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 12.27 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-XUSQL4RD9

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6 [!]

I did do all of your recommendations, and I will say that the amount in my browser's cache surprised me. (I'm a newbie at broadband, period. ;) )

As a computer technician, I try to keep my system in good condition. However, I did adhere to all of Tommie's recommendations in hope and good faith. You can never be too vigilant about computer maintainance, IMHO.

I called HughesNet Technical Support last night, and I was told to disconnect all PCs from my router, and have only one computer directly connected to the hughesnet modem. I was also told to run the LCCU and click the "restore" link. After doing this, I was told to wait for 24 hours and see if these speeds resume at their current slow rate. Well, the test above will be ample enough evidence for our forum. ;-)

As perceived, these speeds are appalling to me...even at crowded hours. Is this a norm for Hughesnet? Is my configuration incorrect?

The one thing that I do notice is that there is no grounding wire coming from my transmitter. Something was said that no ground is needed if the cable is indeed quad-shielded. Since I have informed the forum of the label on the side of my coax cable, perhaps a satellite installer can inform me as to what the label on the side of the cable actually means.

Having invested $$$ into this system, I'm beginning to get nervous. I want a system that is equitably fast. I don't expect exactly 1.5Mbps, but I would at least expect half of that at most times. Having my bandwidth dip down to less than 10% of the advertised speed for a period of days...leaves a dirty taste in my mouth. If there is a way to resolve this, I'm open to all suggestions.

This might not be the right time, because if there is another problem it might not help ass of yet. But you could also use this TCP Optimizer tool.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0

The first post in the thread.

Also use the attachment at the top of the pic. And follow the directions carefully. It is preset numbers, so no figuring necesary. It has helped some in here. You should see quick response if it works, but it takes 3 days to fully set in. If it does not help, you may have other problems.

What is your signal strength? Link http://192.168.0.1/ click on system status radio button, it will be there. Mine is 55 right now.

My ground is right on my water line which is grounded also to the breaker box which is also grounded outside the breaker box in the ground. It runs from the water line to a splitter box which my cables are connected to.(I hope I explained it correctly.)

I hope this helped.  :D

Also the reason I had you clean it first was that optimizing a dirty computer is not always a good idea. You are probably more knowledge than myself, but you never know, I might think of something you might have missed.

Absolutely, Tommie. Two heads are always better than one.

I appreciate your help, and I may very well need that help in the future. If I came off as ungrateful, then please accept my deepest and sincerest apologies.

I talked to tech support today with the new case number. After trying to re-register my modem, the tech forwarded me to advanced technical support--which means I got another case number.

The advance tech had me give him several advanced statistics on the modem, and told me to do a forced ranging. The forced ranging yielded no results. He then informed me that according to my satellite speed test records, gateway crowding may be the issue. As a result of that, he told me to log my download speeds periodically for three days. After that period, call him back and then he will forward me to a "Tier 4" technican...regardless of the temporal significance of the data.

Again, I thank all of you for the help you've given me. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I'm journalizing the tips and such that I acquire from my "dances with tech support." When all this is done, I hope to share this information with the rest of the forum.

No, no apologies needed. It is probably that I am more of a maintenance man. And fairly good at Dway. I guess I just don't consider myself a computer technician. Let us know what you come up with the tech at Dway. And you might try Optimizer later after you resolve the other issues.

Good luck BillyH80.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I know 2 people that have HN7000S  and one told me she was getting 411kbps and paying for 1000kbps. Thay have spent hours talking on the phone.

They are also trying to get streaming video (not Progressive Download Videos) to work on the Hughes net system but no luck. I think it must be a firewall issue in the Modem.

Is anyone able to watch a streaming video

Thanks

Well, it appears as their final actions in regards to my case was to change me to a new transponder. In essence, it has resolved my issues. Here are the stats:

Transmit Path:          Satellite

Outroute:                  Secondary

Longitude:                93 West

Receive Frequency:  1216 MHz

Receive Symbol Rate:  21.50 Msps

Receive Polarization:  Horizontal

Transmit Polarization:  Horizontal

22KHz Tone:Off

Router Address:

Notice that the frequency has been changed from 1433MHz to 1216MHz.

In regards to handling tech support for HughesNet, I can only advise you to calmly follow the directions of the tier 1 technical support--despite the fact that they are simple troubleshooting procedures that most of you have already covered.

As being someone who has had to do phone-based technical support, it has been my experience that simply going through procedures and answering honestly about the results of those procedures--and also saying 'pardon' when you don't understand something--often leads to a much better conclusion than getting impatient or upset.

When they are through running you through the simple troubleshooting procedures, they will forward you to a higher level of tech support.

One thing to highlight in my case is that I was getting as little as 77kbps for download. This was well below the commonly observed 200kbps standard for download that some say that Hughesnet has in standing.

In conclusion of my case, I believe my slow downloads and fast uploads were a product of overloading the gateway/transponder. This seems evident by the fact that as a simple change in receive frequency brings my speeds consistently at ~1000kbps on downloads throughout the day.

Anyway, I would like to thank Tommie and the forum at-large for his support and advice. This may not be the last time that I need such advice. Additionally, I must say that this is an excellent speed-testing site.

Download Connection is:: 1252 Kbps about 1.25 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 153 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/08/29 - 1:28am

Bottom Line:: 22X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 6.69 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 19.578 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 20.04 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

I shall try to post speeds at around 8pm tomorrow...in order to validate my claim of high speeds.

Is cnet's tv the type of streaming you are talking about?  If so I don't have any problems.

If not, point me to a web site and I'll try it out.

Cnettv is flash movies. I don't know if they are coming from a Flash streaming Server or just Progressive Downloads.

If you can go to

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf06/

it may require QT version 7

Thanks

I was able to watch some of the movie trailers.  The bigger ones gave me trouble but suspect that is just not having enough bandwidth to keep up.  I couldn't watch the keynote address though.

BillyH80,  If you are going to go that fast then you need to get off my transponder...:).

Just kidding, nice speeds.

Download Connection is:: 1214 Kbps about 1.21 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 148 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/09/01 - 4:24pm

Bottom Line:: 21X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 6.92 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 20.188 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 16.73 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-IDYZ579RC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6 [!]

I did the aforementioned test using my laptop on a 802.11g connection using WPA2 encryption.

Despite the fact that the speed difference between wired and wireless internet should be insignificant and indeterminant, I would expect a certain time-lapse between wired and wireless internet because of the physics and extra layer of encryption involved--the speed being in favor of wired internet, IMHO. So this fact may theoretically affect my test speeds to a very small degree.

However, the time that this aforementioned test took place is inarguably very significant. Typically, this is test was taken close to the worst time, 6 PM -10 PM, to take a test on my connection. I may run another test at 8PM to see if its performance is decreased significantly.

Again, I thank all on the forum for the attention that they give all of us newbie users.

My speeds using the DW7000 modem have been awfull to say the least. I have spoken to support several times and they will not escallate me any further than tier 2 saying they have done all they can do and the speeds I cuurently get would be considered normal

I do not think these speeds are normal for a Pro account..

September 2nd, 02:14PM - 339/39 kbps

September 2nd, 11:58AM - 399/21 kbps

September 2nd, 11:56AM - 334/132 kbps

September 2nd, 08:05AM - 976/113 kbps

September 1st, 10:10PM - 472/186 kbps

September 1st, 10:05PM - 492/59 kbps

September 1st, 10:01PM - 367/66 kbps

September 1st, 09:58PM - 310/73 kbps

September 1st, 09:08PM - 240/77 kbps

September 1st, 08:19PM - 233/118 kbps

September 1st, 08:06PM - 224/129 kbps

September 1st, 07:47PM - 327/23 kbps

I wish they would move me to another transponder..this is awfull.

Everything seems grounded properly. I have thought about redoing the grounding and I guess I should check the connectors. I replaced the connectors about 5 months ago with compression type instead of the crimp type which BTW did improve signal strength.This started a couple weeks ago. I've had the 7000 for 5 months after upgrading from the 4000 which I had since 2001.

What is strange is one test may show great UL and DL while the next  test will show much lower download. here is a few from today..only minutes apart..

September 3rd, 02:37PM - 368/45 kbps

September 3rd, 02:31PM - 488/75 kbps

September 3rd, 02:28PM - 964/83 kbps

September 3rd, 02:26PM - 501/186 kbps

September 3rd, 01:07PM - 257/43 kbps

I will wait another day to see what happens . I did email them again. I received a reply to contact advanced support.

4000, no wonder! You will never get those great D/L speeds with the 7000 that you got with the 4000. Only better U/L's, "usually".  ;)

I have 2 4000's just waiting in my closet for my contract ending. I can't wait to try.

Not sure why your U/L is so slow, have you tried to tweak it yet  :?:

Your computer  is clean, right  :?:

yes , the computer is clean  .

I called again and made it to engineering. I again was told the speeds are considered normal and they would do nothing further. (Nice)

Since I,ve seen posts from people on the consumer plan getting downloads better than mine I had them downgrade me to the consumer plan. I can always go back to the pro plan if I want.

I even suggested a transponder change but they didn't go for that.

Here is the tweak link.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

What type of AV, anti_spy, and firewall are you running?

Are there any processes running in the background?

I believe consumer has the same speeds as the pro with tweaks, but I think their fap is different.

You are supposed to be @ 1000/200  with the Pro plan.

This I did not know, The home plan is still @ 700/128. So there is no real reason to go with a 7000 over a 6000.

My time to modify was up.