HN7000S Slow Speeds

BillyH80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to show that it's not just the Hughes Speed Test, here's the results from TestMy taken about 30 minutes after the Hughes Test.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 166 Kbps about 0.17 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 20 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/10/08 - 7:22pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 51.2 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 50.125 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 15.93 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4GJZCUL9W

User Agent:: Opera/8.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) [!]

Welcome to the forum dotdog14 :wave:

First read here:

Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-4257

Also have you restarted your modem lately? Remove end of cable from modem and touch the end with your finger for at least 10 seconds, to remove static electricity.

How long have you been on hughes.net?

I also wonder if you lost your ground all of a sudden? Might check to be sure it is still properly grounded.

To answer the question, I've been on Hughes for a year.  The wild speed variations is a daily occurance.  In the morning when there are few users speeds are high.  In the evening speeds are similar to dial up, sometimes even slower than dial up. I've been through this computer time and time again.  If it can handle speeds of nearly 1K at low useage times then there is no reason I shouldn't have reasonable speeds all the time. Looks like an oversold system to me.

To answer the question, I've been on Hughes for a year.  The wild speed variations is a daily occurance.  In the morning when there are few users speeds are high.  In the evening speeds are similar to dial up, sometimes even slower than dial up. I've been through this computer time and time again.  If it can handle speeds of nearly 1K at low useage times then there is no reason I shouldn't have reasonable speeds all the time. Looks like an oversold system to me.

Sounds pretty much normal for satelite to me. Not making fun, just sounds normal.

So nearly 1k says you may not have tweaked your connection as of yet.

Try reading here where you can D/L cablenut which is popular in here, or the much simpler one TCP Optimizer which is the one I use.

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-1013

Tommie,

Are you saying that speeds slower than dial-up are a normal thing for Hughes Net? If that's so then I've made a BIG mistake paying over $100/month for speeds slower than I used to get for $9.95/month.

Yes I've "tweaked" my system with no real change in the numbers.

Ghostmaste.....I can only determine that I'm on a Longitude of 89W.

OK at certain times of day it will get extremely slow. Not necessarily 18kbps. but to me it  seems like dial-up when it hits around 200 kbps. You should not be below 200kbps. actually. If everything is working properly. You have to figure many different things into speeds. Traffic of all users, cleanliness of the comp., clearness of the sky and not just at your house also at the other end, the speed of the server you are taking data from or speed testing from, grounding, background processes on your comp., how many windows are open at the time, etc...

During off peak times do you still get the slow speeds? Early AM (before 10 ) or after midnight TMN time?

Speeds lower than dialup are not the norm for Hughes, but speeds between 250kbps and 600kbps ARE normal during peak hours.  (6:00pm -- 11:00pm EST)  Lately, Hughes has been selling faster than they can add bandwidth and it's hurting the rest of us.  But that part IS normal....

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 132 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 1075 kB)

Download Speed is:: 16 kB/s

Tested From:: http://theamericanforce.com

Test Time:: 2006/10/13 - 8:03pm

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 64 sec

Tested from a 1075 kB file and took 66.859 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 12.62 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-MG3RLJUOF

User Agent:: Opera/8.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) [!]

Hughes is really winning my heart with this kind of performance.

OK dotdog14 this is exactly what you do.

Take several speed tests on Hughes's test site. Since you will do worse on theirs than here, that is in your advantage. Call and gripe about it big time. They only worry if your speeds are below 200 kbps. D/L which you appear to do consistently. They will definitely help you. That is their guarantee.  ;)

Good luck.  :thumbsup:

If upper level support does not fix the problem for you ....file a claim with BBB which you can do on-line. Also call billing for credit....don't be shy with these people at all. They will first try to blame it on weather conditions, router, ad-ware so make note of clear sky problems etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something I'd like some input on.  I've been having very slow down stream speeds and have communicated with Hughes quite a bit with no results.  I started writing a pointed but not out-of-line email to them daily asking for the problem to be fixed or let me out of the 15 month obligation without penalty.  Wednesday the connection became inactive entirely.  A phone call to Hughes confirmed that for unknown reasons my system had been decommissioned.  It took approximately 6 hours of phone time over the next 20 hours to get the system back up.  Speeds have been better since this even though it appears that I'm still on the same transponder with the same frequency. 

Anyone else ever had an occurance like this "decommisioned" event?

Here's something I'd like some input on.  I've been having very slow down stream speeds and have communicated with Hughes quite a bit with no results.  I started writing a pointed but not out-of-line email to them daily asking for the problem to be fixed or let me out of the 15 month obligation without penalty.  Wednesday the connection became inactive entirely.  A phone call to Hughes confirmed that for unknown reasons my system had been decommissioned.  It took approximately 6 hours of phone time over the next 20 hours to get the system back up.  Speeds have been better since this even though it appears that I'm still on the same transponder with the same frequency. 

Anyone else ever had an occurance like this "decommisioned" event?

The decommisioning could have been from the random testing the modem does. If it fails a self test this can happen. Some have done a xpol in bad weather and found themselves decommissioned as I have. You can check the ACP stats in the advanced area of the modem but if you have rebooted it since then all record of this will be gone.