2 GB vs. 4GB

Mtal1ca

Hello all,

I just purchased a computer and i have question about the RAM. Here's what I have:

2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)

If I added 2 more GB of Ram would it be a big difference or would I be wasting my money.

My processor is:

Core 2 Duo E6400(2.13GHz 1066MHz FSB 2MB cache,non-HT

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks,

Curtis

It depends. You would probably be finding it a waste, unless you like things at their best. Mine came with 1 gig and I doubled it to 2 gigs. And someday soon I will finally go to 4 gigs, but only to see just how much difference it will make. I doubt it will be extremely faster, but it should be noticebly faster.  :D

What I would suggest you doing, is not getting more 1024 MB ram chips, but say 2 256. Getting 2 1024 modules is in fact a waste, I have 1024 total, there is no application I use that uses that much ram. Getting 2 256 might improve your performance because there is less load on those 2 1024 modules and it is able to use all 4 chips putting less load on all of them altogether.

Mtal1ca the short quick answer is you will not notice any difference in the way anything runs from 2GB to 4GB, unless your doing heavy 3Ds Stuido Max, or Very Large Photoshop Files.

The reason I ask is that I haven't gotten this new computer yet. Fedex is bringing it today. I will be mainly playing games like Madden, Tiger Woods, and some fighting games like Call of Duty. But with my older computer anytime something would use the processor in the background, the graphics would get choppy (which I already had them set on low quality). I had only 512mb RDRAM with a p4 1.7 ghz with ATI 256mb video card. Should I be better off now with my new setup?

We owe it all to CA3LE,  :notworthy:

But thanks.

I see you are on Dway. How long?

bow to the master

Mtal1ca

welcome to the forum

glad u liked us over here, we try to be friendly and personal

for a change even thow this is a machine world

I have 2x512's  according to task manager I never have less than  400 availible

I moved up from 1x512 and did not see a big differance but changing the graphics card turned the turbo on for  me , adding a 3rd  512 lowered the performance test I was running,

and it ended up in another puter that needed it 

p,s. I dont do games though, 

The reason I ask is that I haven't gotten this new computer yet. Fedex is bringing it today. I will be mainly playing games like Madden, Tiger Woods, and some fighting games like Call of Duty. But with my older computer anytime something would use the processor in the background, the graphics would get choppy (which I already had them set on low quality). I had only 512mb RDRAM with a p4 1.7 GHz with ATI 256mb video card. Should I be better off now with my new setup?

You said something used the processor in the background? Thats the reason, not the ram :P. Also, your ATI card, if it was an older model, that could have made your graphics choppy.

I guarantee you that you will not lag at all in Call of Duty with this machine :)

The reason I ask is that I haven't gotten this new computer yet. Fedex is bringing it today. I will be mainly playing games like Madden, Tiger Woods, and some fighting games like Call of Duty. But with my older computer anytime something would use the processor in the background, the graphics would get choppy (which I already had them set on low quality). I had only 512mb RDRAM with a p4 1.7 ghz with ATI 256mb video card. Should I be better off now with my new setup?

you will be much better off with your new setup. you will be able to play any game on full settings.

windows xp will most likely not be able to see 4GB of ram - i think 64bit windows does

that depends on your motherboard not your OS, ofcourse there are times where the OS doesnt recognize the ram, like in Windows 95 or something u cant use 2GB, but there are fixes for that...

that depends on your motherboard not your OS, ofcourse there are times where the OS doesnt recognize the ram, like in Windows 95 or something u cant use 2GB, but there are fixes for that...

Its actually more on the OS, motherboard manufactors have been limited by 32bits max of 4gb of ram. They are no longer limited by that low number so you are starting to see boards what support 8gb. and thats because 64bit is becoming more widely used.

Well with the issue regarding windows xp not being able to use 4gb, it is motherboard related. For example, i once had a PC which couldnt have more than 512MB ram, it just wasnt recognized by the motherboard/OS. You could have put in more, but it just wouldnt be utilized.

you will be much better off with your new setup. you will be able to play any game on full settings.

for now anyway

as games become more graphical u will need to upgrade it

but who knows it could b another year maybe even 5 years or more before apllications and games require 4gb of ram to operate

for now anyway

as games become more graphical u will need to upgrade it

but who knows it could b another year maybe even 5 years or more before apllications and games require 4gb of ram to operate

of course for now, and a little bit down the road. But once DX10 comes around you will be upgrading that graphics card.