Startup Entry Remover

Nos7667

Anyone know a program where you can add and remove startup entries.

backwhen i first got my pc i used to always check the *start this application win windows starts button* and now its coming back to haunt me, My pc *always has* been real slow to start up because of this, I dont want to uninstall the programs i just want to make it so they dont run when windows starts.

there should be an option in every program to kill this.. the other way to do it is throught services.msc..  start-> run-> services.msc press enter.  or msconfig..  I think it is better to do it via every program or services.. msconfig can get pretty confusing on what you really need and what you dont.

Like Swimmer said, from Run you can use msconfig or services.msc. You can also access Services from the System Configuration Utility.

From System Configuration Utility (msconfig):

• Click to select the Services tab
  • Disable services by removing the check
  • Click to select the Startup tab
  • Disable startup items by removing the check
  • Click apply
  • Click close

You can sort the Services/Startup Items alphabetically by clicking the column title box.  You'll need to restart to apply the changes.

From System Configuration Utility (msconfig):

• Right-click service name
  • Select Properties
  • Click stop to terminate service
  • Set startup type to disabled
  • Click apply
  • Click ok

You can sort the the Name column alphabetically by clicking the column title box.

For the most part, you can use Google to look up the services and processes. If you are running a software firewall, I would suggest disabling the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service, for starts.

A lot of programs you already use may do this.  If I'm in a hurry, I'll use CCleaner, because I keep it in my quick launch bar, however, it only removes them.  I prefer Windows Defender (Tools), because you can either disable or remove, although I need to open the program when I want to use it since I only keep it updated and periodically scan with it.  If you only disable and find out a program isn't working correctly, you can go back and enable it.  If you don't have WD installed, check all your utilities because they rap this capability (to disable or remove startup progs) in lots of cleaners/anti malware programs.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html Its called Autoruns, very good program. It doesnt even install it runs directly fromt the exe file. Trust me try it once. Its completely free. You can even click a button and hide and/or show the entries that ms windows xp requires. I love that feature cause all other programs listed are optional as far as windows is concerned.

• 2 months later...

thanks for the link Shugs , I got a friend (really ,but  not many though ) that has 72 items in start up, and she was complaing about slow boot and shut down  :evil6:, Yeah it's a family puter , and used by several teenagers , lol

,I spend to much time sorting out this puter , so autoruns will be given a try ,

Thanks Roco  UK

Excellent man, let me know what you think. I love it. It is one of the few free programs left that is non invasive.  :knuppel2: Thats alot of programs to be starting, someone needs a clean install.  :buck2::lol:

Hi Shugs the clean install s spot on, BUT their puter came with no disk (PC world )  the puter is a wreck , ( bloody better spec than mine  :evil6:) I try and give support by email or phone , mostly by phone for free  :lol:) if I was charging by the hour I would be retired in the Bahamas by now , :lol:,

I am trying to get my Gov. to declare it a disaster zone  :evil6:

yeah it sounds good to me , I will try it on mine first , as the pressure of 2 teenagers who know nothing both talking to me at once , while I try to sort out the mess, makes concentration a little difficult  ,  :lol: yeah, at times I am tempted  :knuppel2:

any other program you find is just going to do what msconfig and services does.

This program has some nice "extras" makes the job easier IMO.

Hi Shugs the clean install s spot on, BUT their puter came with no disk (PC world )  the puter is a wreck , ( bloody better spec than mine  :evil6:) I try and give support by email or phone , mostly by phone for free  :lol:) if I was charging by the hour I would be retired in the Bahamas by now , :lol:,

I am trying to get my Gov. to declare it a disaster zone  :evil6:

yeah it sounds good to me , I will try it on mine first , as the pressure of 2 teenagers who know nothing both talking to me at once , while I try to sort out the mess, makes concentration a little difficult  ,  :lol: yeah, at times I am tempted  :knuppel2:

:haha: :haha: I totally know how you feel. I will pm you some advice.  :grin2:

any other program you find is just going to do what msconfig and services does.

agreed Dlewis 23 but for a newbie maybe a non invasive prog maybe the easiest way to go, most people I know don't know what   msconfig and services does. or have even heard of it , for me I can just master playing with the reg. most family puter users just think computers are  clever TV,

maybe they are right in thinking that way, is it all too complex for the average user ?  I can remember when cars had to be serviced every 3000 miles  that would be  laughed at today ,for me ,totally self taught , no schooling or help apart from TMN and other Tech forums, it has been a long road , but one I am glad I have taken,

Regards Roco UK  

Try winpatrol, it shows everything running on your PC

and it will kill anything you want.  It even shows you

the hidden files that msft doesn't want you to see. It

will also tell you what everything is in the plus version.

I have used this program for several years now and I

love it. Check it out at WinPatrol.com.

Try winpatrol, it shows everything running on your PC

and it will kill anything you want.  It even shows you

the hidden files that msft doesn't want you to see. It

will also tell you what everything is in the plus version.

I have used this program for several years now and I

love it. Check it out at WinPatrol.com.

Thanks again Paladin , checked it out on several forums and it seems OK, not that I  doubt your sugestion ,  I  am very cautious on any prog I run , :roll:, I first time run new programs on my spare computer   :lol:

Yeah, I wear a belt and braces  :lol:

regards

Roco UK