XP Pro x64 edition

Voltageman

I just upgraded to x64, and so far so good.

For some reason I can overclock much further than I could with 32bit XP...Not sure why..

I also noticed an smbios error that would come up during pc pitstop testz(with xp pro 32bit), is no longer there...It used to read my ram wrong.  It would show all the ram, but bios and windows didn't agree on the size..Now that problem is gone....  ;)  Plus my test score was much higher.

I was wondering if anyone else is using it, and what software they are using.  I have found pretty much everything works so far(except virus scanners/firewalls/reg cleaners).  But most run in the 32 bit emulator..

I am looking for true 64 bit software.  If anyone knows of any, I would be a great help.

I wanted to try the 64 bit gaming experience, so I downloaded Far Cry from direct 2 drive(only $9.99  :) ), an installed the 64 bit patch...

All I can say is WOW, what a difference...The 64 bit has soooo much more detail than the 32 bit...Feels almost like you are there..

There are some more true 64 bit games, which I will try shortly..

If anyone knows of any 64 bit software, post it here...Thanks..  :D

I found Avast for antivirus..I hear Nortons has some too, but they screw up 32 bit enough, so I will steer clear of that one..

Ace Utilities has a beta registry/disk cleaner that seems to work well so far...Only problem so far was it removing registry keys for flash player...Had to exclude them...

So far my Flight Stick, Joystick, and Steering wheel all work fine...

The only problem I am having, is getting my Promise raid controller to work...

I have the 64 bit drivers for it, but when I attempt to install them, it says that they are not for 64..  :whaa: The only ones I can get to install(ones that come with windows) will not let the controller start...

The VIA raid controller works fine, and actually reads a little faster with x64.

A firewall is the only thing I cant find..The only one I have seen so far is the Tiny Firewall...Avast has a "light" firewall in it, but not a real one...

At the moment I have the Avast one on, and the windows firewall...I may give the Tiny one a try...

Overall,  the x64 seems to run alot better...My processor, memory, disk speed, and video all benchmark higher.  :D

Far cry looks great in 64  :uzi:  I am hoping people will come out with 64bit mods for older games.  I'm not sure if its possible to mod games for 64  :shrug: , but it would be sweet if it could be done...  :icon_thumright:

There are only a few viruses that will infect 64 bit sytems, but worms like Sober, Sasser, etc. will infect a 64 bit machine.

It's safer for now...But still can be infected..

the 1 xp64 computer we run here has never been infected by anything and we run no virus software on it. maby we just go luckey.

I am not sure how you are saying that you cant get spyware..  most spyware is cache born from IE..  I am pretty sure that anything that will infect a 32-bit system should infect IE on the 64..  I think.. 

If you are looking for 64 bit programs..  just wait for vista to come out..  Then most of the software manufactures will invest the time to develop 64-bit software.

I am not sure how you are saying that you cant get spyware..  most spyware is cache born from IE..  I am pretty sure that anything that will infect a 32-bit system should infect IE on the 64..  I think.. 

If you are looking for 64 bit programs..  just wait for vista to come out..  Then most of the software manufactures will invest the time to develop 64-bit software.

from what Ive expereinced it can't run under the 64bit environment.

By Default, the x64 will run in 32 bit IE...You actually have to make a shortcut yourself for the x64 bit IE(the default one opens up 32 bit).  I have problems with x64 IE, where it won't do flash/video, and player download won't work....Haven't figured out how to fix that just yet...working on it...

x64 has an emulator for 32 bit, I believe that is how some viruses/worms/spyware can infect both systems.  If you don't know that it runs in default 32 bit IE, and go cruising the net, and hit some bad sites, I suppose that could be one way...I know for a fact certain worms can infect a 64 bit machine..

I'm not really concerned about it, since I have never gotten a worm before, or ever lost data due to a virus(I do enough damage trying to overclock "just a wee bit more"  :haha: ).  But, one of the reasons I haven't, is that I always have a good defense up...

Just trying to stay ahead....

**Spybot and Adaware both have x64  versions, and seem to run fine.