so, whats your oppinions on this...

i still havent gotten a laptop like i was supposed to and so now i know that i am finally getting to order one from newegg the end of october. heres the link, also i know the graphics sucks,,,,i need it for papers, and stuff....maybe a movie now and then, but no games except maybe the ones that are on xp like solitare. so anyways here is the link click here tell me what you think, i know that i am getting another 512mb of ram for it. and i will never be anywhere that i cant plug it in so im fine with battery life, the only thing i am not sure about is the graphics,,,if later on i want to put a new card in im not sure that i can, but thats no big deal.  so what are you oppinions on this  :D

starship_troopers

i still havent gotten a laptop like i was supposed to and so now i know that i am finally getting to order one from newegg the end of october. heres the link, also i know the graphics sucks,,,,i need it for papers, and stuff....maybe a movie now and then, but no games except maybe the ones that are on xp like solitare. so anyways here is the link click here tell me what you think, i know that i am getting another 512mb of ram for it. and i will never be anywhere that i cant plug it in so im fine with battery life, the only thing i am not sure about is the graphics,,,if later on i want to put a new card in im not sure that i can, but thats no big deal.  so what are you oppinions on this  :D

starship_troopers

you can not upgrade the graphics. other then that its a great notebook for a great pice.

Graphics cards can definitely scare someone away, but for your uses, it should be more than fine.  Watching movies, and even playing most games, you should be allright.  It isn't a super-graphics computer, but that's not what you're after, so I say it is a good choice.  Some graphics cards may surprise you, even if they are integrated (as this one is).

yeah that is a little odd.. most of the time you would use NTFS on a windows xp system.. 

The machine looks pretty good!! At one point I was looking that machine before I found the one that I now have...  I will say that the AMD's do not have the same battery life as the Intel platform..  I get about 4:00 on my dell 1.8ghz machine and about 2:30 or less on my AMD 2400+ Athlon mobile system.  Kinda frustrating but it only has to last though one day of classes.

Is it still common for laptops to have 5400RPM HDD's? Seems to me that we should be past that now.

The former specs were 4200rpm and 5400rpm... Hitachi release the first 7200rpm hard drive for notebooks in 2004?  I have a first gen 60gb in my dell. 

It is rare to find any ones still running the 4200 spec.. however you can still find them online...

Did you read any of the comments posted about that unit? Here's an excerpt from one: "Also comes formatted with 2 30g partitions FAT32. Not sure why".

:whaa:  :whaa:

yes i read all the reviews over it, and it isnt that hard to format a harddrive so i dont mind it.

Is it still common for laptops to have 5400RPM HDD's? Seems to me that we should be past that now.

....5400rpm is fast enough...i dont want to spend like 800 dollars on a laptop that im just going to use for typing, internet, and an occasional movie...the only reason im getting this one is because its an acer w/ an amd (i prefer acer brand and amd processors) also my cousin has this laptop...and i like it...

On the lower end stuff it seems to be...

this is high enough specs. for what im using it for....

I agree. I was just kinda wondering about the FAT32 partitions. But if you plan to format it anyway, this one sounds like a pretty good deal for you.

i have a cousin who has this, and he said it comes with a few programs that you dont need and are annoying, so thats why i figured on formatting anyways :)