In case anyone had any doubts.......

Guest philp

that is pretty intersting.. not a huge suprise..  AOL just went free as their company continues to lose users and pretty go from the #1 ISP to not even existing.  So the development time isnt going to be spend on the project anymore.. to pay for this.. why not install a bunch of crap from other companies..  Their tool bar isnt anything really new..  Symantec has been installing crap on the tool bar ever since I stopped using Norton..

they became greedy and only care about how much money they could make from the software.

Absolutely. I had NAV 2003 and it was pretty decent. After I "upgraded" to NAV 2004, I would get pop-up windows telling me which virus it allowed through.  :angry5:

I haven't used Norton since the middle of '04.

As a geek (programming since 1974) I have ALWAYS disliked  AOL.  Nice find!  I use AVAST anti-virus (download is on PCWORLD.COM) on all my machines and have never had a problem with it.  I tried to upgrade Symantec System Works 2006 last March and it totally hosed my machine.  Norton just gets worse and worse.

Paul S

As a geek (programming since 1974) I have ALWAYS disliked  AOL.  Nice find!  I use AVAST anti-virus (download is on PCWORLD.COM) on all my machines and have never had a problem with it.  I tried to upgrade Symantec System Works 2006 last March and it totally hosed my machine.  Norton just gets worse and worse.

Paul S

First off, welcome to TMN!!  :hello:

I've heard a lot of good things about Avast. I have PC-Cillin Internet Security on my laptop right now. Would the 2 conflict with each other?

My neighbour was very happy with AOL, and their monthly Disks , although he doesn't own a computer, they made excelant bird scareres for his runner bean patch

mind you AOL scares me anyway  :evil:

nearly as much as Norton  :angry5:

Go back  :shock: to a blue screen  :lol:

First off, welcome to TMN!!  :hello:

I've heard a lot of good things about Avast. I have PC-Cillin Internet Security on my laptop right now. Would the 2 conflict with each other?

I have seen it done , but all the antivirus vender's say don't , for my pennies  worth (UK)

AVG works for me and many others , I tried Avast , but I did not give it enough time I guess, and went back to AVG , I totally  agree with pwstegeman , in not running 2 anti-virus appli's.

Hi wellcome to the forum pwstegeman , Feb 2006 ?, com'on post some more  :thumbsup::lol:

From what I heard since like 2001 Symantec has been reusing the same code base for every release.. pretty simular to what MS does with windows..

I think 2006 was a brand new code base.  I will never go back to Norton stuff.. there is just no reason to.. Unless you are doing enterprise stuff..  Those products are pretty damn good... 

Philip,

Having more than 1 anti-virus loaded on a machine is always risky.  I would wait until your PC-Cillan subscription expires before changing, or remove it before loading Avast.  Often having 2 antiviruses loaded will cause registry problems.

PaulS

I

I had heard that but wasn't sure if it was just, perhaps, 2 certain names that had conflicts (NAV vs McAfee, for instance).

Thanks for the info!!

I will never go back to Norton stuff.. there is just no reason to.. Unless you are doing enterprise stuff..  Those products are pretty **** good... 

I think that's where Symantec is putting all there time, effort and knowledge. The home stuff just doesn't cut it anymore.