sysytem uptime!!!!!

jim2006

I was wondering what you people think about weather it is good or not to leave your pc on all the time!!! I leave mine on all the time right now it says it has been up for 2 days 19 hours and 33 minutes!!!! I usaully leave it on all the time do to that I am almost bed ridden or was now I get up more. But anyway I used to be one of those people like my brother who thought it was bad to leave there pc on all the time he said it would screw it up and he said it won't last as long!!! We I thought that to but actually I have tried it and my system runs better now and I don't have as many problems with it since I started leaving it on in fact none so far and when I didn't leave it on all the time about every other month or less I would be reinstalling windows again. The only thing Ihave noticed is that I need to defrage more but that is probably becuase I have been doing so organization and moving files around alot lately!! But anyway what do you all think is it good or not!!! I also think that it may not let decress you cpu life but as my brother put it they last for hundreds of years so so what if it only last a hundred years now!!! Also I don't think it is going to matter to the people that buy a new system every so many years because it will last that long at least what do you think!!!?

from a purely electronic standpoint, leave the beast running. it will depend on your os if it is advantageous or not, but your hardware will thank you in the long run. a few examples:

hdd: if you have it on 24/7, it will not go through the mechanically stressful cycles of spinning up down. running the bearing and motor at it's intended speed puts the least amount of stress on it.

power supply: if on 24/7 the surging associated with the system powering up down is eliminated, thus, aain, less stress is placed on the components.

cooling fans: again, less acceleration deceleration means they run in the groove smoothly.

electronics: no surges due to switching on off, steady temp, no condensation hence no corrosion, all good.

now, all of these things are valid only if: you keep your system clean. if you don't own a vacuum cleaner, get one! you may not do your carpet, but be nice to your system. dustbunnies are fluffy and cute, but beng fluffy, they insulate. insulation means hot spots. hot spots mean cranky components. if your environment is /very/ dusty, consider optimizing your cooling fan intakes by placing filters (that you clean regularly) along with more powerful fans to make up for the loss of airflow due to the filter.

make sure all your components are running cool, running anything, ram, gpu cpu hdd etc hot for any amount of time will cut into your mtbf.

if you know the power at your location is flaky, brownouts, surges, outages and the like, invest some money in a ups. this can range from a small one for 90 bucks that will keep things running for a few minutes to expensive high capacity active ones that not only supply backup power but /clean/ your current all the time, making sure that you have the optimum power going into your box. but these are very pricey. on the issue of power, make sure that the power supply in your comp isn't running at or near max capacity. check hardware vendors or rtfm for power requirements of the components, carefully add up the numbers and then double em. that will give you the rating your power supply should have so it's not straining constantly.

now, it really does depend on your os if running 24/7 will give you added stability, but a software restart leaves the system running, so the hardware doesn't mind.

from a purely electronic standpoint, leave the beast running. it will depend on your os if it is advantageous or not, but your hardware will thank you in the long run. a few examples:

hdd: if you have it on 24/7, it will not go through the mechanically stressful cycles of spinning up down. running the bearing and motor at it's intended speed puts the least amount of stress on it.

power supply: if on 24/7 the surging associated with the system powering up down is eliminated, thus, aain, less stress is placed on the components.

cooling fans: again, less acceleration deceleration means they run in the groove smoothly.

electronics: no surges due to switching on off, steady temp, no condensation hence no corrosion, all good.

now, all of these things are valid only if: you keep your system clean. if you don't own a vacuum cleaner, get one! you may not do your carpet, but be nice to your system. dustbunnies are fluffy and cute, but beng fluffy, they insulate. insulation means hot spots. hot spots mean cranky components. if your environment is /very/ dusty, consider optimizing your cooling fan intakes by placing filters (that you clean regularly) along with more powerful fans to make up for the loss of airflow due to the filter.

make sure all your components are running cool, running anything, ram, gpu cpu hdd etc hot for any amount of time will cut into your mtbf.

if you know the power at your location is flaky, brownouts, surges, outages and the like, invest some money in a ups. this can range from a small one for 90 bucks that will keep things running for a few minutes to expensive high capacity active ones that not only supply backup power but /clean/ your current all the time, making sure that you have the optimum power going into your box. but these are very pricey. on the issue of power, make sure that the power supply in your comp isn't running at or near max capacity. check hardware vendors or rtfm for power requirements of the components, carefully add up the numbers and then double em. that will give you the rating your power supply should have so it's not straining constantly.

now, it really does depend on your os if running 24/7 will give you added stability, but a software restart leaves the system running, so the hardware doesn't mind.

Use a vacuum made for computers/electronics. Regular vacuums are too powerful and they create a lot of statci electricity, which can ruin your computer.

I have battery backup to keep a constant 120v, 60 cycles to the entire house (caasa), and we all have left our machines on 24/7/365 year after year after year.  Today's computer are made for it.  Only question is, can you hack the extra on your power bill?  It adds a bit to it, but nothing bone crushing.  hhehe...

The Reverend

Unless mine has something to do over night I won't even leave it on at night.  My handicapped laptop is very quiet and I really should use it for something 24/7/365.

I'm afraid my dad would notice the increase on the power bill and demand that I would pay for what my computer uses. :angry5:

Computers, if the monitor is turned off that is, uses next to no power at all. MABEY ( this is a very generous amount) $5.00 USD more a month.

(unless you got soem massive lighting, and 30 fans and all that shit.. then your just bringing it up more and more )

as i found out, one of the main reasons that my old 98 machine was so fucked up (pardon my swedish :) ) was that we were constantly turning it on and off. that made the hard drive have to go on and off probably 300-400 times in it's lifetime (the pretty baby still works fine, just slow). It's pretty amazing that I've never had the thing just crash on it's own, for no reason.

Unless I was doing something really stupid like trying to go on the internet! :haha::D

oh, .s1 did you get your pc fixed? I see it's been up for 1 day and a few hours!