Help with icon change please!

ratchet

I keep all my utilities in a desktop folder. When I choose the "Hammer Screw Driver" icon through Properties>Customize>Change Icon it changes the folder icon to the Control Panel icon. I've tried a dozen other ones as a test and every one works! What has happened to that icon and how can I repair it? Thank You!

I can't say this is the location in XP but it is in Windows ME.When selecting the icon just Browse to this location.In my OS it has a folder with a hammer and screw driver .

C:WINDOWSSYSTEMshell32.dll

I found the location by going into display /effects selecting an Icon that was still original Windows type then selected change Icon .The above location was where it sent me.It has several Icons.I hope that helps

Heres a couple of ways I found .One goes with what I posted above.When selecting an icon use the 'Browse"button & use shell32.dll as the location actuall probably this location C:WINDOWSSYSTEMshell32.dll if C: is the location of Windows XP on your HD.

If that isn't the location of shell32.dll then use search to find it.

The other method is to search for ".ico" format file extensions.

I think this will locate any icons you have in your OS.Let us know if it does.

Heres a couple of ways I found .One goes with what I posted above.When selecting an icon use the 'Browse"button & use shell32.dll as the location actuall probably this location C:WINDOWSSYSTEMshell32.dll if C: is the location of Windows XP on your HD.

If that isn't the location of shell32.dll then use search to find it.

The other method is to search for ".ico" format file extensions.

I think this will locate any icons you have in your OS.Let us know if it does.

I searched .ico and it didn't show it, although it does show it in the icon folder.  It's just that when you highlight and apply it, the icon becomes the control panel icon and not the one selected.  May be because I have them set at a none standard size or something according to php's post above.  I installed it from php's file so I'm good to go anyway!

For those that want to fix their .ico files here are some suggestions.I know php got ratchet going.But this just gave him new files to use.I think the problem is in the folder options file association but I put in a couple of more suggested fixes too.

You may have the .ico file association as Control Panel & need to remove the association.I think you could do that in the area below.

Change the Default Action

To change the default action for a file type: 1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options to open the Folder Options dialog box.

2. Click the File Types tab.

3. In the File Types list, click the file extension you want to modify.

4. Click the Advanced button to open the Edit File Type dialog box.

5. Click the command that you want to make the default command, and then click Set Default.

6. Click OK, then click Close.

Uncheck "Always use this program to open these files "

- [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTUnknownshellopenascommand]:

Default is c:windowsrundll32.exe Shell32.dll,OpenAs_Rundll %1

- Change it to c:windowsrundll32.exe Shell32.dll,OpenAs_Rundll %1 %2

- Close regedit, and hit F5.

Fix Icons (If Windows shows the wrong icons)

Windows XP

- Go to C:Documents and Settings{username}Local SettingsApplication Data

- Delete IconCache.db

- Reboot