Pets. Pets, help me decide.

water

Well, The Dog got his own pet on his 11th birthday. We bought him a red-eared slider, coolest turtle I ever saw. When we got him he was the size of a quarter and looked like this 1st picture attached, Now he's a year and a month old, about 6 inches in diameter, and a treat to own. See second picture. He recognizes us, he will let us hold him (although he really wants to eat MY fingers, I don't know why all these animals want to eat me...) and he's really fun to watch. He wasn't too healthy when we first got him, I found out later he was sold to me illegally, and under poor housing conditions for the little babies, but we did everything we were supposed to do and now he is vigorous and healthy.

We also have three cats, Isis, Osiris, and Thoth. Isis was supposed to be a gift for me, but ended up bonding with my husband, a year later a friend told me he had a kitten that was black and a runt and asked if I wanted him. I said yes, and when he and his family came over to bring the kitten over, they had another cat that they brought with them. They told me I didn't have to take him, but the wife had saved him from the shelter (as it was his last day before being put to sleep) and she wanted to know if I would take him.

Of course I said yes.

We buy feeder fish for yertle as he needs a balanced diet of plants and meat and turtle food to stay healthy in captivity. He decided not to eat them for a while and now they have gotten big enough to be called Carp ;) . Big enough that there were two births of baby fish in two weeks.

Now that you have the backstory, help me decide. My next child is due to trun 11 in February, and this is going to be a big decision. See, he wants a pet of his own (like the cats aren't enouguh) and he wants a lizard. He says he wants a Gecko (picture 3), and I have no problems with that. After researching a bit, I found that Gecko's are a bit more high maintenance and "touchy" with different problems, and I'm not too sure about it. I did however find out about Bearded Dragons (picture 4), who are lizards that are pretty good with kids. I went to the pet store today to buy some toys for the cats, and a plant for Yertle to eat and a couple of real small feeder fish that he wouldn't be too scared *rolls her eyes* to eat. I saw the Gecko, the Bearded Dragon and the Chinese Water Dragon, which is WAY cool, and I might get him for myself....

I may just go with a bat. And name it "my Ex-Husband Bob". Then when uninvited people came over I could invite them in and they would see the bat hanging from the ceiling and I could say "Meet my Ex-Husband Bob".

hehehehehe

Seriousy, does anyone own or have you owned reptiles and what do you recommend in the family for a kid of 11?

I owned a Ball Python, it was the BOMB. I loved that damn thing. It went everywhere with me, hung from my rear view mirror as I drove and hung out in my locker at football practice. VERY low matinance, VERY cheap to support and VERY safe. I would reccomend it.

Most dont have the white, but I dig the white.

I owned a Ball Python, it was the BOMB. I loved that damn thing. It went everywhere with me, hung from my rear view mirror as I drove and hung out in my locker at football practice. VERY low matinance, VERY cheap to support and VERY safe. I would reccomend it.

Most dont have the white, but I dig the white.

I saw one of those in the pet store too, I loved it, but I don't think I could do the snake thing for very long, and I doubt my daughter would be OK with it. That's something Aggr3's going to have to advise me on with her, but I still don't think I'd be ok with a python.

I know logically that they're safe, but I also have a friend who lost his Boa Constrictor in the house, and that would make me unable to sleep or take a shower if that happened.

(although he really wants to eat MY fingers, I don't know why all these animals want to eat me...)

cause they smell like fish?????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's it, now I owe you one ;)

(although he really wants to eat MY fingers, I don't know why all these animals want to eat me...)

cause they smell like fish?????

Now why would that be?  :lol:

How about one of these friendly little fella's. They would get rid of those fish for you. And any unecessary extra pets you might have lounging around.  :evil6:

"Komodo Dragon's" rock, and will intimidate you unruly visitors.  :haha:

By the way that is a wild pig he is licking friendly like.  ;)

Now why would that be?  :lol:

How about one of these friendly little fella's. They would get rid of those fish for you. And any unecessary extra pets you might have lounging around.  :evil6:

"Komodo Dragon's" rock, and will intimidate you unruly visitors.  :haha:

Ignore him tommie, he's just mad because I can have me all the time .  ;)

Yeah - Komodo Dragons do rock, but I also want something kid safe :-P

water...if ur leaning toward a reptile of any kind...check out this wesite...i go there often...because i have 54 in iguana...and she only got that big with support from this woman and her website...she started out about 5 inches long when i got her 10 years ago...thought she was a male for a long time...but then one year she laid egss...hahaha...joke was on me...so iggy should be iggetta...but iggy is what she knows...

btw i DO NOT recommend iguanas for kids...very complex...mine is now free roaming and a sweetheart but not all are...and their diet is very difficult to maintain...a real challenge...

anyway check out melissa kaplans website...it's more than iguanas...

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html

water...if ur leaning toward a reptile of any kind...check out this wesite...i go there often...because i have 54 in iguana...and she only got that big with support from this woman and her website...she started out about 5 inches long when i got her 10 years ago...thought she was a male for a long time...but then one year she laid egss...hahaha...joke was on me...so iggy should be iggetta...but iggy is what she knows...

btw i DO NOT recommend iguanas for kids...very complex...mine is now free roaming and a sweetheart but not all are...and their diet is very difficult to maintain...a real challenge...

anyway check out melissa kaplans website...it's more than iguanas...

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/index.html

Thanks ... I started reading it, but I'll keep reading, I checked it out this morning, I spent about 4 hours reading before I even went to take a look, **hugs**. Thanks!

I'm not expecting to make a decision today, after all his b-day isn't until February, and it's a big step with most of the work needing to be done by me and my husband since the kids are here part time only. Which is why I am being so anal about research and tips from friends to choose yes or no. But my kids are really good kids, and they don't ask for a lot, and they do a lot here around the house or help out without complaints (for the most part) when I ask.

I feel that responsibility should breed reward with kids. Not the other way around (as in You didn't do this so I'm taking this away). Not that THAT doesn't have it's place, but these kids are turning out pretty great because Aggr3 and I try to be consistant and not berate them for their failures.

Then again, I guess the honor role could be made a factor ...yes? :D