Questions about Linux

krc1979

Hi everybody. I'm pretty new to the whole world of Linux. I installed a version of Redhat on an older computer but it's been 3 or 4 years. I'm wanting to install a newer version on one of my computers I have now more as just something to play around with. I have a spare 40 gig harddrive and was wondering if it's possible to install linux completely seperate on there without having to change anything on the main harddrive where i have WinXP installed. Any information on what version or distribution i should use or how I'd go about doing that. I don't need detailed directions on here, a link where i could learn more about it would be great. Thanks alot.

Thanks alot for those links guys :) I remember back when I had linux installed on an old computer i was running win98 and just partitioned the harddrive and installed linux on the same drive. Is it possible to install each OS on a different drive and how would that work?

Yeah, you can do same drive or separate drives.  You just want to make sure you install Windows first, because it tends to make things easier when using GRUB Boot Loader and having it set things up correctly.  Also, if during the installation you come across a page where you can perhaps do some expert settings and modify the boot loader settings before they're actually installed/applied, you'll want to have GRUB be installed on the boot sector of /dev/hda (primary master HDD), or /dev/sda (for first SATA/SCSI disk).  You can put the boot loader on /hdb or /sdb, but you'll have to tell BIOS which disk to boot first to make it work correctly.

I've got dual-boot set up on my dual Athlon MP server, the server that sits next to it, and all three of my laptops.  All the laptops, of course, are a single HDD, but the two servers are multiple drives.